Shopping In New York

Miss Jolly

This may sound odd but I will go on anyway. :) As Australians, when in Florida, we found your clothes and shoes (particularly sports shoes such as Nike and Reebok) to be VERY well priced compared to here. My question is WHERE to shop as our first stop is New York before we head off to Europe and our last stops are Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore. Do the people of NYC consider Asia to be a shopping paradise or are you happier with your prices and quality at home?

I look forward to your replies.

Jennie

This may sound odd but I will go on anyway. :) As Australians, when in Florida, we found your clothes and shoes (particularly sports shoes such as Nike and Reebok) to be VERY well priced compared to here. My question is WHERE to shop as our first stop is New York before we head off to Europe and our last stops are Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore. Do the people of NYC consider Asia to be a shopping paradise or are you happier with your prices and quality at home?

I look forward to your replies.

Jennie

Its much much cheaper in China(particularly silk alley in Beijing-now closed btw). But very few people would consider it an easy place to get to, to shop. A Burberry raincoat for $20.00 as well as named brand shoes etc..Secaucus in NJ has outlet stores than have great prices as do Jersey Gardens, Central Valley and Riverhead....all places outside the city. NY has expensive shops like London, Paris etc except for the exchange rates none of these can be thought as of inexpensive.

Macy's on sale isn't bad(especially in your case you can get a all day shopping pass for 13% off on the second floor courtesy desk-show your passport) but you have to work at it.

Given luggage restrictions I would wait until Asia....you can buy anything there and negotiate negotiate(haggle) over the price.

I know quite a few Europeans who come to New York for shopping. They go along 57th Street for all the designer stuff. Everything you can imagine is there. The prices here are great for them. If you want the real designer stuff then New York will be great for you. If you are looking for bargain stuff then Asia might be better - don't know - never been there.

I know quite a few Europeans who come to New York for shopping. They go along 57th Street for all the designer stuff. Everything you can imagine is there. The prices here are great for them. If you want the real designer stuff then New York will be great for you. If you are looking for bargain stuff then Asia might be better - don't know - never been there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/06/26/2007-06-26_crackdown_on_fake_coach_bags_nike_sneake.html

Designer clothes are much cheaper in the US than in Europe. Most of the stuff IS actually made in China. Some real stuff is a bargain there as well as very good knock offs. It is legal for a US Citizen to bring back ONE of each class of fake goods. One purse, one pair of shoes one raincoat...not one or each brand....

Archived