How do you Fly?

I'm trying to get information on how my DH can do airline travel.

He is unable to transfer from his wheelchair on his own. I know the airline will use their smaller wheelchair to get DH onto a plane, and will help him into his seat. My question is that my DH may not fit in a regular seat because his legs are spastic. Continental airlines told me we'd have to fly first-class in order to accommodate him, and that we would therefore pay first-class fare. :( For some reason, they have been unable to tell me how much leg room there is in coach compared with first class. They told me that someone (me) would have to sit in first-class with him, which makes sense. But that means I'd have to sit at a window seat and then he'd be put in his seat, and then I wouldn't be able to get out of my seat the entire flight until we land and he is "deplaned". :eek:

Is this the same with most airlines?

It all sounds like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here. Can anyone help with info please?

He is unable to transfer from his wheelchair on his own. I know the airline will use their smaller wheelchair to get DH onto a plane, and will help him into his seat. My question is that my DH may not fit in a regular seat because his legs are spastic. Continental airlines told me we'd have to fly first-class in order to accommodate him, and that we would therefore pay first-class fare. :( For some reason, they have been unable to tell me how much leg room there is in coach compared with first class. They told me that someone (me) would have to sit in first-class with him, which makes sense. But that means I'd have to sit at a window seat and then he'd be put in his seat, and then I wouldn't be able to get out of my seat the entire flight until we land and he is "deplaned". :eek:

It all sounds like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here. Can anyone help with info please?

Check seat-guru.com for the type of aircraft you will be flying on and you can see all of this information there.

Would it be possible if you could both get aisle seats across from each other? Of course, that would mean that they could not sell that seat next to him. Wonder if they would charge you for that also... You would need to check with the airline. They do have specific ADA rules, so perhaps there is a way around it.

Would he have to get up to go to the bathroom? If so, you could walk then...before they put him back in his seat.

My husband has progressive MS and is 6'3, his legs are also spastic so he has to sit in the aisle seat. We flew to Hawaii in May and my daughter and I had to climb over him every time we needed to go to the restroom. It worked OK for us but don't know what you do if you have someone you don't know sitting in your row.

Our experience has been that every airline has a different amount of room between the seat. Some are horrible, others are better. If you can get bulk head it is ideal. Every airline also has different requirements for bulk head. Although I do believe that if you have an inmovable leg, they are required to make sure you have bulkhead.

The seat guru website is a good resource for pitch (width between the seats) and will give you a good idea of how roomy (or not) the seats are. However, I have had aircraft changed on me at the last monute. Usually they are somehat close to the original configuration, but sometimes it really varies.

But seat guru also gives you an idea of how other airlines and aircraft compare to the one you are choosing. For example, if you can also fly American, they may offer a wider pitch in economy.

Some airlines also offer an economy plus section, which gives you more pitch in the economy section of the aircraft. It's usually something like $75 or so more per flight leg. Depends on the carrier and the flight, but cheaper than first class.

also, youi may want to purchase an standard coach fare and then upgrade to first class with your frequent flyer miles.

But yes, if coach won't work for your husband you do have to make other arrangements. The airlines are not required to upgrade you under the law.

And as far as aisle/window. I can't speak for your husband, but i think he would probably be more comfortable with you climbing over him, rather than a complete stranger, so I'd take the window seat next to him rather than the opposite aisle. And the first class seats are larger, so it's not as difficult as in coach.

Candy

Great info! Thanks.

george2000, did you get first-class or coach seats? What airline did you use? Do you have any recollection of what aircraft it was?

Three Rings

We flew American, ATA and Aloha. (long trip to Hawaii) We were in coach. I just can't justify the extra money for first class at this time. We've flown Southwest and it's pretty good since they take the passengers using the onboard WC first (even before the other pre-boarders) and you can get bulk head that way. IMO US Air has been the worst with the smallest amount of room between rows.

Have no idea what aircraft we flew. I want to say 757 but I'm not sure. I'm assuming your husband will not have to use the restroom on the plane. My husband wears condom catheters for trips. There's no way he could use the tiny onboard restroom. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Looks like I have a lot of investigating to do! I'm actually worried that even with all the pre-planning, we'll go to board and they won't be able to seat him, and we'll have to cancel the whole trip. I guess there's no way to know, except to try it. How did you emotionally handle the first time flying? DH used to travel a LOT, but hasn't since he's became unable to transfer. I don't want to let it stop us from traveling. I know so many other people manage it all the time. I wish there was someone who would tell me "it WILL work"! :o

Hi Three Rings,

We always fly with bulkhead seating. We request bulkhead seating and also get to the airport very early so that we are sure to get the seats we need. If the airline says to be at the airport for check-in 2 hours before the flight, we get there 3 or 3 1/2 hours before. It has always worked for us. Where are you flying?

we'll go to board and they won't be able to seat him, and we'll have to cancel the whole trip... I guess there's no way to know, except to try it. How did you emotionally handle the first time flying?"

Depending on your husband's diagnosis, there are specific support group websites that can offer some tips and advice. The Muscular Dystrophy Association has helful material for patients with diseases other than muscular dystrophy.

Other resources I often refer my patients to:

www.flying-with-disability.org

http://www.spinal-injury.net/disabled-flying-guide.htm

http://www.disabilityinfo.gov/digov-public/public/DisplayPage.do?parentFolderId=5120

Also, did you book air through the cruiseline? That should solve any "cancel the whole trip" worries.

When working with my DS, when I get frustrated or upset about not being able to "get something worked out" (in my mind or in person) it upsets him as well.

I have found that by pre-planning (yes months or even a year in advance) and then going early for everything (flights, rides, tours, appointments) at least as much as possible that it works better for all of us.

Also, a positive attitude asking others for their help and compassion works for us. Another thing which my DD helped me with, if I have been dealing with someone and I am not satisfied with their assistance always ask for a supervisor/manager/director, or someone of more authority. It upsets the person staring at you but normally the results are better and faster when they see you are not going to back down but just want and need the help of someone in charge.

That said, if It still doesn't work, I get my dear Daughter after them (she has my personality 30 years ago) and will get, push, pull or fight for anything her brother needs even if it takes the B mode to do it. She is amazing to watch once she hits her stride and most people just crumble.:D

LInda

I second the advice about seatguru. At least you'll get some idea about the differences in pitch. May I also suggest flyertalk.com. They are the equilivant of cruise critic for frequent flyers and have a disabled board.

I believe the board is modded by a woman confined to a wheelchair and they should have some good advice. They are also very knowledgeable about the various airlines and their procedures.

Archived