Muster Drill

itsonlyme

My son uses a power chair. He has always held the life jacket in his lap during the drill, and he picks a good spot to sit. We always arrive early and they usually let us leave before the others so we can get an elevator.

I get my jack about 15-20 minutes before the drill and head to the level of the drill. Find a lounge and wait for it. I usually am put near the door. Just before the drill is over a staff members tells me to leave. I get on the elevator which is held for those who require it (Canes, wheelchairs, walker). Go back to my stateroom drop the jack and head up to the pool deck for sailaway.

This is one of the times that the elevators are very busy and hard to get on. On Freedom one elevator was reserved just for the H/C people for about 30 mins after the drill. I got on after dropping my jack and got to the pool deck with no problems.

We (on the Oosterdam) made sure we were ready with the jackets well before time, but didn't leave our cabin until a minute or two before the drill was to start. Crew members operated the elevators, and let only the disabled (and companions) on. DW is in a power chair; since her neck and back are curved forward, the back of the life jacket wasn't particularly uncomfortable for her. Once on the lifeboat deck, they had us wait near the door, while the rest of the pax moved past us and were crowded together beyond to listen to the talk. A very nice young lad offered to take our picture together as we were waiting. Afterwards, we had no trouble with people or the elevator; on the whole, people were very considerate.

- Richard

It varies with the cruise line, but we always plan to go to the muster area at least 15 minutes prior to the drill. Usually my parents go, then I go back to the cabin and get all our life jackets and meet them there (taking the stairs if needed). We then plan to stay on that same deck for another 15-30 minutes after the drill as we feel that is easier that fighting for an elevator. Even if they let those with disabilities go first, you will have to fight off all those who are only semi-disabled in huge scooters. I often will take the stairs and run our jackets back to the cabin so we don't have to lug them around.

Some cruise lines hold muster on the promenade deck, while others have you gather in a pubic space such as a bar or dining area. Most (in our experience) expect EVERYONE to put on their life jacket, so I always help my mother with hers first (she cannot do it herself) and then put mine on.

Not only did they expect everyone to have their jacket on, a Dutch officer was checking to see that they were properly tied, and having people correct it if it wasn't right (he did help them).

- Richard

• 2 weeks later...

On Carnival Freedom we arrived w/my mom and her rolling walker, they let us stand by the doorway instead of going to the end of the aisle, which made it easier to get out when done. There was another lady arrived in wheelchair near arrival of everyone and they asked a couple if they'd mind moving in front so they could park there. They (my mom and the lady) expected to put on the jackets etc., but my mom was getting hot near the end and one of the crew told her she could take it off, which was nice.

Archived