Walkie Talkies

cb747

I cruised 2 years ago with my then-13-year-old (we were with a group of other teens and parents). We tried using the walkie talkies, but the reception was so terrible we finally gave up after a couple of days. By then, I was confident that my daughter was playing by my rules (stay with a buddy, stay in well-populated parts of the ship, yell LOUD if a stranger bothers you, etc.), so we just packed them away.

This trip, we aren't even going to take them. Instead, we're going to have periodic appointments to meet. (Obviously this applies to the ship only -- when we're ashore, she'll never be out of my sight.)

Does anyone know if a Motorola, walkie talkie will work while out at sea? Many thanks. Chantal

you have to check how far it will go. You need one that goes for 16 or more miles. If it goes 5 miles it probably will not work

I don't use them, but have been onboard with others who have used them or who have tried to use them. Usually they are very staticy and almost impossible to hear anyone on the other end. People usually end up screaming into them which I find annoying. I truly don't feel they work good enough to even take with you.

IMHO you should leave them at home. Use the ship's telephones.

So, you call someone in their cabin to find out where they are? :D

We use them. Politely. They work quite well if you get a pair with sufficient range. There are a number of walkie-talkie posts highlighting the key etiquette issues: use VIBRATE alert, talk at a NORMAL volume, use an EARPIECE, don't have extended conversations, don't use them in the dining rooms or theatres, use common sense, don't be annoying to others, yadda, yadda, yadda....

Leo Jay, if they are used like that, that's fine, but you know there are always a few who never read or don't care about etiquette of any type.

Of course, but just because some people do things improperly doesn't mean other people shouldn't do them at all!

:)

Besides, if someone's hell bent on being deliberately rude, do you really think they're going to heed a recommendation to "leave 'em home -- they're annoying"?

:D

So, you call someone in their cabin to find out where they are? :D

We use them. Politely. They work quite well if you get a pair with sufficient range. There are a number of walkie-talkie posts highlighting the key etiquette issues: use VIBRATE alert, talk at a NORMAL volume, use an EARPIECE, don't have extended conversations, don't use them in the dining rooms or theatres, use common sense, don't be annoying to others, yadda, yadda, yadda....

Add to the list od don'ts - "Don't bring them along."

I used walkie talkies on a recent cruise and found them to be invaluable, so bring them if you feel you need them. Yes, some people think these should be left at home, but some people can be loud and obnoxious without using walkie talkies. When used with others in mind, they are just fine.

Look for a set that transmits at 5 watts, which is the max for GMRS, but does require a FCC license (not that this will do you any good in a foreign country, but that has been debated a million times).

If you want something that is useful at home (assuming US residency) and on the ship, get a sent of 5 watters and pick up a 5 year license for GMRS. Costs $75 and is a heck of a lot quicker than a passport. I had my license in 2 weeks.

Just be ready to pay close to $100 for the pair.

You can also get decent units that have limited power of 1 watt, that work on the FRS frequency, that does not require a license, but 1 watt does not get you much, especially on a ship full of 1/2" or greater steel plate.

Archived