uncomfortable waiters

tomboyy

Very true, but I don't consider dancing as part of a waiter's job. I would prefer they spend the time waiting on the pax at their assigned tables. I go to the restaurant to eat, and to the theater (should I choose) to be entertained by dancing and singing.

Someone asked if this is done on other lines. On RCI, no. On Celebrity, definately not.

I love Carnival, but having the waiters dance instead of providing food service is something I could do without. OK, maybe I could put up with the one night as others have suggested.

smilie_tanz.gif

Noooo.gif Then again, maybe not!

Actually, on our RCCL cruise in February the waiters danced and sang, but on one night only. It was on the Italian-themed night.

Since I haven't sailed Carnival yet (my first CCL cruise will be on Spirit in December), should I expect the waiters to sing and dance EVERY night? Or, is it just one night like on RCCL?

And their grateful barking after the maitre d' finally tosses them their reward of raw fish is enough to make one cringe in embarrassment.

:(

Oh for heavens sake! If they honestly hate it THAT bad, then certainly they could go and work for another cruise line that doesn't require the dancing. It's all about making choices after all.

I think Carnival thinks it's expected. Do the other cruise lines do that, or is it just them? :confused:

Both of the other cruise lines I've been on have done some extent of dancing in the dining room. I think Royal Caribbean did more so than Disney.

Oh for Pete's sake I am not sitting around wondering if my waiter is sad that he has to sing and dance as part of his JOB. I don't care if he is sad or not, if he doesn't like it then get another job. I am sure my house cleaner isn't real thrilled w/ her job either or at least when she has to clean my DDs room, but she certainly isn't complaining to me. I pay her for a service, just as the waiters are paid and I would expect them to do their job to the best of their ability and if they don't like it, quit. I am on vacation and the last thing I want to hear is about how sad someone is about their life or their job. Sure they work hard, they are away from their families, but we all make choices in life. I am sure everyone can find something about their job that annoys them, I know by the end of the year I am ready for my students and myself to be on summer vacation.

Now, do I like the singing and dancing, no. Is it tolerable on non-formal nights, yes. They should get rid of the singing and dancing thing on at the very least formal nights. When I go to the country club for dinner the last thing I want to see is our waiter dancing around and certainly not on my table. Has anyone really seen a waiter jump on the table? That is nasty and why would I want to eat where someone's feet have just been?:eek:

So I will do my part by donating to charity etc. but it certainly not going to happen on vacation.

I think Carnival thinks it's expected. Do the other cruise lines do that, or is it just them? :confused:

They don't do it on Princess. Now, every once in a while our maitre d' would belt out a song but he was obviously a well trained singer.

I just think that when you are in a dignified place like what I think a cruise ship dining room is, the silly singing and dancing are out of place.

I expected some talent. I thought there would be some choreography to it--not a bunch of guys yelling out a song and acting silly.

I too thought all the waiters acted embarressed and put out. They clearly have a lot of work to do and then they have to stop and act silly.

I see we are talking about the singing/dancing waiters on Carnival Cruise Lines. What is the meaning of "carnival"? Carnival is a festival season. It typically involves a public celebration.

Has anyone been to a "Carnival Ball"? It starts with 100s of people in a large dinning room. They are dressed in formal attire. I am sure some people on this thread will appreciate the dress code. A four course meal is served. After the dessert and coffee is served, the dancing and singing ("celebration") begins. This is the experience CCL is providing.

I was on the Conquest last July. The waiter singing/dancing occured after coffee and dessert were served. After all this the schedule and routine the dinning room keeps. If you did not get your coffee before the singing/dancing started, that means you probably were late in arriving to the dinning room (that is a whole other thread topic) or you had too many entrees.

I see we are talking about the singing/dancing waiters on Carnival Cruise Lines. What is the meaning of "carnival"? Carnival is a festival season. It typically involves a public celebration.

Has anyone been to a "Carnival Ball"? It starts with 100s of people in a large dinning room. They are dressed in formal attire. I am sure some people on this thread will appreciate the dress code. A four course meal is served. After the dessert and coffee is served, the dancing and singing ("celebration") begins. This is the experience CCL is providing.

I was on the Conquest last July. The waiter singing/dancing occured after coffee and dessert were served. After all this the schedule and routine the dinning room keeps. If you did not get your coffee before the singing/dancing started, that means you probably were late in arriving to the dinning room (that is a whole other thread topic) or you had too many entrees.

The problem is everyone is not singing and dancing like at a ball. It's just the waiters doing something that, IMO, isn't entertaining. It is clear no one has worked with them to know what to do. They are pretty much just standing there looking silly. I would have enjoyed some good singing and fun choreography.

At least the animals at Seaworld have a choreographer and great music! I am not so sure if the tips are all that great though!

Maybe Carnival should replace the waiters with penguins. If they have such great rhythm, and they already have their own tuxes?

Please remember that the wait staff are human beings too. Many of them come from poor countries and have to swallow their pride to do these things.

Before you make comments like "if they dont want to be a singing and dancing waiter' date=' then they shouldnt take a job singing and dancing" think about how you would feel if you had a family back home to support and the only way you could make a decent living was by being a servant on a cruise ship? Am I the only one that see's the ignorance in that type of comment knowing where most of these people come from?

It is hard for them to make themselves look foolish 7 days a week. Keep that in mind before you throw your nose in the air because you have it a little better than they do ok? Dont they deserve to work with dignity too?

I would much prefer to spend the dessert and coffee time talking with the wait staff about their families and home and let them know I appreciate their efforts night after night. Sometimes thats worth more than just another standard tip.

Some enjoy it, some dont. Some fake it because they want their passengers to be happy. A happy passenger is one who might actually tip.[/quote']

I completely agree, and was going to post a similar statement, until I noticed how eloquently you already had said it.

Many of these people put in 21 days straight without a break, for what these days amount to slave wages. Remember that when you wonder what the phrase "Ugly American " means.

BnB

thread #3465 about dancing in the dining room? If you're that hard up for something to say or someone to notice you, I think Carnival food servers' level of comfort is the least of your problems. :rolleyes: *yawn*

Yep .. they call it Cruise Critic ...Cruise reviews and news.

I was giving you a review of what I experienced, guess your hard up for something to read cause you clicked on this thread:D

Sounds like someone needs lessons in how to be polite but assertive. Unless they were physically twisting her arm, it's her own fault she didn't stay seated.

It's not for very long, not even the "10 minute affair" people are whining about. It's ONE song. In all my 30+ years, I have YET to come across more than a handful of songs longer than 5 or 6 minutes. Actually, I'm listening my Windows Media Player right now, and one of the songs we danced to was 4 minutes and 16 seconds long and another I have on here is 4 minutes and 5 seconds. WAAAAAAAAAAAH to those whining about waiting 4 minutes and 16 seconds to get their coffee (in all honesty, it's been my experience that if you arrive at dinner on time, your waitstaff is competent, you don't order a dozen things per person off the menu, then you're almost finished with dessert, and enjoying coffee, by the time the singing even STARTS).

On our formal nights, both of our cruises, the singing and dancing were skipped.

Still reading and posting on this same thread?? sounds like 'someone is hard up for something to say or someone to notice you"

HHHmmppff

Tom

I completely agree, and was going to post a similar statement, until I noticed how eloquently you already had said it.

Many of these people put in 21 days straight without a break, for what these days amount to slave wages. Remember that when you wonder what the phrase "Ugly American " means.

BnB

Using that term to belittle Americans is uncouth. If they didn't want the job they don't have to take it, unlike your reference to slavery, the choice was not their's.

I still feel that if one knows what is expected from the job don't take it if you feel the money and perks don't warrant it. My wife hates her job but the money they pay her makes up for it. She puts up with BS now and we cruise and retire early later. My kids love the show we have been on other cruise lines that don't do it and they asked why. If they don't want to work for Carnival, RCCL is always hiring. That my friend is true freedom for the employee. They can take their skills and travel. Give them the benefit of the doubt that they have brains, skills and decision making abilities. Some of you make them sound like losers without the ability to make a living without the CCL to take care of their poor souls.

Yep .. they call it Cruise Critic ...Cruise reviews and news.

I was giving you a review of what I experienced, guess your hard up for something to read cause you clicked on this thread:D

Still reading and posting on this same thread?? sounds like 'someone is hard up for something to say or someone to notice you"

HHHmmppff

Tom

I feel it's part of my obligation as a good community member to point out when people are exaggerating. So as not to let the overexaggertors scare the newbies into thinking they're going to be strapped to their chairs and tortured for "10" or more minutes every night in the dining room, watching the "ugly Americans" flog and stone the poor food servers. :D

I don't technically think you gave a "review" of what happened....I didn't notice any musical performance critiques on style or form of the waiters. :confused: And seeing as it's the 3465th post on this, it certainly isn't "news", either.

Well we liked it on our last cruise (glory 6-9-07) . Our wait staff also seemed to enjoy it . They where very good and we tipped them way above the auto tips.

What we found was funny was how many folks did not come to the dinning room the last night to avoid giving a tip.

Hell we even tip our drink server $25 the last night

Archived