Use of Phone Cards in Ports?

travgurl

I do not have international coverage on my phone service. I was wondering once we are in port, can we purchase a phone card to use to call back to the states? We are cruising the Western Carribean. Which port would you recommend to do this, if it is possible?

I do not have international coverage on my phone service. I was wondering once we are in port, can we purchase a phone card to use to call back to the states? We are cruising the Western Carribean. Which port would you recommend to do this, if it is possible?

When I was 16 I went on my first cruise in 2001 with my grandparents (Holiday). It was a 7 day cruise and my mom wanted me to call her during the week. I was able to use the calling card in San Juan, PR but not at any of the other ports (Martinique, Dominica, St. Kitts, Barbados. I didn't call her while in St. Thomas, so I'm not sure about threr.) This was a couple of years ago though so maybe things have changed and maybe not. Sorry I couldn't help you more with your question.

If you use a land line your best option is to buy a local prepaid phone card, where you can see the cost for calls to the USA.

A second option is to get a major US carrier calling card and the international access dialing instructions for all the countries you will visit.

If you talk to your cellular provider and you change plans to add international calling make sure you are not re-committing to a new year of service just for that. And validate whether your phone will work in the ports... US based Verizon is hit or miss... GSM based phones have a better chance of coverage but een with international calling many have reported it just did not work when they tried it.

Archived