Miracle - 8day EasternCarib - Comments?

Hey folks,

I'm here planning our upcoming honeymoon. Wondering if you guys could share advice or experiences on this particular ship or itinerary.

Here's some background... We're a mid 20's couple from a medium sized Canadian city. Moderate drinkers/partiers. Enjoy being busy & adventurous with some relaxing too. I've been on 3 Royal Caribbean cruises so far. We went together on the last one. It was 5 days on the Explorer of the Seas, and we loved it.

Here's our possibility....

Carnival Miracle

8 Day - Eastern Caribbean

Departing from New York on Sept 22nd, 2008

Day 1 - At Sea

Day 2 - Sea

Day 3 - San Juan

Day 4 - St. Thomas / St. John

Day 5 - Tortola / Virgin Gorda

Day 6 - At Sea

Day 7 - At Sea

IS - $599

4A - $699 (probably won't spend more than this)

New York is cheap and easy for us to fly. We've done Eastern Caribbean before, but not any of these ports. Looks good to me, but fiancee has idea that Carnival is the cheaper, party line.

Any advice? Thoughts or opinions on the ship or itinerary?

Thanks so much!

-John

I would say, especially with it being a honeymoon I would go RCL over Carnival. I say this because I do think Carnival is more Fun, party, loud, family type of ship and style. Where RCL has better food (In my opnion that is getting shot down by the minute I am sure), not as many children, but has fun/adventourous activities.

Not saying one is superior to the other but I would do RCL. It is a smidge more expensive, so she is right there by saying Carnival is cheaper.

I'm really going to get black balled on my first day here.

Julie

My husband and I did the same exact itinerary on the Carnival Legend, leaving from NYC 2 years ago, for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was WONDERFUL!! We just loved each island. Carnival did once have the reputation of being a "party" ship but I think that was a while back. We did not feel that way at all on our cruise. We went at the end of May.

If you are beach people, we went to Saphire Beach in St. Thomas and it was very nice, it was an $8 per person cab ride each way. The snorkeling was very good and they had chairs, floats and watersports there to rent. Our favorite was Tortolla we did the Virgin Gorda, Baths excursion and it was amazing. There were 2 different excursion for the Baths. We did both as we were there 2 years in a row and we preferred the one where they drop you off 200 yards from shore and you swim in to shore and visit the caves, and then the ship is docked on the other side of the caves. You have a lot more beach time with this excursion. We took our adult kids on that excursion, all in their 20's and they really enjoyed it too. In SanJuan make sure you visit the "linen" shop where they have unbelivable linens, at unbelievable prices. They will tell you about it in the Carnival newspaper, and if you go to one of the island meetings, that is where we heard about it.

I think you will enjoy this cruise. Best of Luck with all of your plans!!

The miracle would be a nice ship to honeymoon on. the only problem is sailing out of ny at that time of year. It's major hurricane season for us then.

The seas are usually not calm in september. In fact, we love september for surfing. Definitely do not forget to get travel insurance.

But I think you'd love the ship for your honeymoon. The miracle isn't so much a party ship. maybe in the summer, but certainly not when the families with kids aren't sailing.

My husband and I just got back a couple weeks ago from that itinerary on the Miracle. We are in our late 40's and had a fabulous time. As that other poster said it being a loud party ship.....is totally wrong. As a matter of fact on our sailing there were barely any children but that is probably because school was still in session here in the NY area. I think you would have a great time. If you want to read my review go here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=29630

No boos from me - I haven't sailed RCL, so I can only speak to Carnival. We sailed this itinerary on Legend last year and loved it - it was really nice having two sea days down and two sea days back. Lots of time to unwind. And after five CCL cruises, I've yet to see any excessive partying. (The midnight deck party in San Juan is lots of fun, though!) Sailing in September, there shouldn't be a large number of kids - they'll have just started back to school in New York, so I doubt many parents will be taking them out of school that early in the school year.

I know the "upgrade fairy" is very fickle, but if you're not set on a particular cabin, you might want to consider booking an inside guarantee. This class of ship does not have a large number of inside cabins, so I think you might stand a better chance of getting an upgrade. One of the cabins we booked was a 4A guarantee, and it was upgraded to an 8B balcony.:cool:

In San Juan, we just walked up to Fort San Cristobal and then walked around Old San Juan for a while. In St. Thomas, we booked Godfrey's tour - shopping, a 2-hour island tour, and beach time. We had a great time, but I think if we went back we'd opt for beach time now that we've seen the island. I'm not much into shopping.:o In Tortola, we opted for a Carnival excursion - the "Virgin Islands Sailaway," which was a catamaran sail to Norman Island, followed by snorkeling. We booked a ship excursion here because the time in port is so limited, but I've read reviews from others who have done independent excursions to the Baths with no problem.

Best wishes to both of you!

The Miracle is a GREAT ship, with an award winning crew (consecutive Eagle award for highest Carnival customer service scores) and is one of the last Carnival ships to score 100 on the CDC inspection.

She has an easy to get around deck plan and is a mid size ship with most of the extras of the bigger ships (Nick and Nora's)...........she has the reputation of being one of the quieter Carnival ships. Not saying the night life isn't there, it's just not in your face type of thing...........we spent many late nights rockin' in the piano bar, jammin in Frankie and Johnny's or going for a beautiful peaceful midnight walk together. It was an entertaining yet relaxing cruise we considered our honeymoon......and we hadve a 12 and 6 year old...........................I was home a week before I was booked to go back in October.......I'm taking the kids and my Parents...it was that good!!!

We also just got back and this would be a great itinerary for a honeymoon with the 2 sea days before and after each port. One thing to keep in mind is that your stops at San Juan and Tortola are very short. The service and food were great. Our only complaint was the decor of the ship, we didn't care for it while others love it. We consider the ship part of our destination and enjoy a more "subtle" look.

You will love the Miracle! There will be very few children on board when sailing in late Sept. We sailed Miracle last Sept., and enjoyed our time on board. The staff will have PLENTY of FUN things to do during your sea days.

BOOK IT NOW!!!!!

Archived