Avalibility of Euros onboard

I have never been on a ship that ran out of Euros. Why would they do that since they make a nice profit changing currency. The rate you get for Euros on-board will not be nearly as good as what you can get out of any ATM ashore. The one nice thing about the ship is that they will change travelers checks ....which have become difficult to change ashore (money changers charge extra to cash TCs and many banks no longer want them at all).

Hank

If you are cashing US dollar TCs on a cruise ship, they will cash the TCs for no fee and give you the US dollars. If you want to change the dollars to Euros they will simply convert the dollars (they actually would simply do it with your TCs) at no additional fee. Most of the cruise ships do not charge any "fees" to change money, but rather give you a lousy rate of exchange. You will find other money changers who give you great exchange rates, but charge fees and you can find combinations of fees and bad exchange rates. In the end, you will often take a 4% - 10% hit in changing money. ATMs give you the wholesale rate of exchange and build in some profit. Since our credit union does not assess any fees for using our ATM we find that we generally pay about 1.5 - 2% which is built into the ATM rate of exchange. Using credit cards for purchases is also a decent option because you will get the wholesale rate of exchange plus generally 1,2 or 3% depending on your card. One major advantage of using ATMs is that you can get any amount and thus lessen the chance that you will be stuck with Euros when you return home (you can change them back,,but you will again take a hit with fees and rate of exchange). The irony for us is that we keep our Euros (because we go to Europe at least once a year) and have made a nice profit since the Euros have gained more than 40% against the dollar.

Hank

I called Carnival and they said they always run out of EUROS on each cruise. I will call again. I will use ATM's but want a back up plan to cash TC's. They (Carnival) also said that they give the daily exchange rate for Euros. I don't think that is a whole lot higher than the wholesale rate. Certainly when you consider doing it off-ship will cost steep fees. Carnival charges no fees to cash TC's.

Jan

On NCL they charge $7.50 per transaction, and then add the exchange rate. Recently it was $1.42/Eur when the official rate was $1.325. While they don't technically run-out of Euros, they don't always have the demonination you want when you need it. One day I was given a 500 Eur note and many fives. If I had not needed that amount of money I would have been given all fives.

I had to use a bank in Rome to break the 500 note.

I called Carnival and they said they always run out of EUROS on each cruise. I will call again. I will use ATM's but want a back up plan to cash TC's. They (Carnival) also said that they give the daily exchange rate for Euros. I don't think that is a whole lot higher than the wholesale rate. Certainly when you consider doing it off-ship will cost steep fees. Carnival charges no fees to cash TC's.

Jan

We exchanged on Carnival last summer, but they did not give us the best daily rate. We paid for the convenience, of that I am certain. I know we needed Euros soon after debarkation, but they always had some when we needed them. I honestly can't remember how soon to the end of the cruise we made our last transaction. We are cruising with them again next week, and I've gotten a Capital One CC for this trip--no fees, best rate. I also checked with my bank who only charges .8% for atm transactions--both better than Carnival.

The absolutely best way to get Euros is from the ATMS when you arrive. Before you leave, confirm the fees with your bank and notify them that you will be traveling internationally and you should have no problem if your card is on a major network.

We had no problem pulling cash in Italy, Greece, France, Croatia, Spain on our trip and our exchange rate was excellent. Our bank PNC Bank charges not ATM fees.

Well, I am a stockholder of Carnival Corp (CCL) so in retrospect, I support your efforts to change lots of money on the ship. Hopefully Carnival will pass some of their profit on the exchange along to the stockholder.

Hank

I have never been on a ship that ran out of Euros. Why would they do that since they make a nice profit changing currency. The rate you get for Euros on-board will not be nearly as good as what you can get out of any ATM ashore. The one nice thing about the ship is that they will change travelers checks ....which have become difficult to change ashore (money changers charge extra to cash TCs and many banks no longer want them at all).

Hank

Hank,

The problem with the ATM is that Bank of America told me there is a $5 tranaction fee, since they are not their ATMs (with the exception of their arrangement with Barclays in England). So, we are bringing what we think we need and any large purchaces would be by credit card. I can understand a long land trip where one does not want to carry that many euros, but at least on the ship there is a safe...

I was also told the rate would be the same as in the US, so if Chase and Bank of America are at 1.41 it would be the same rate plus the $5 fee and inconvenience at stopping at ATM's when taking tours with others. I understand this is necessary if you run out but I wouldn't want to spend my time at ATM's each day...Just my opinion, but then I am on a shorter 10 day cruise.

We exchanged on Carnival last summer, but they did not give us the best daily rate. We paid for the convenience, of that I am certain. I know we needed Euros soon after debarkation, but they always had some when we needed them. I honestly can't remember how soon to the end of the cruise we made our last transaction. We are cruising with them again next week, and I've gotten a Capital One CC for this trip--no fees, best rate. I also checked with my bank who only charges .8% for atm transactions--both better than Carnival.

What is Cap Ones exchange rate? I have a cap one card but do not plan on taking it as I get better points on both my Us Airways Visa and US Airways Mastercard.

Someone told me that Cap Ones rate is the same since it is set by Visa or Mastercard and they get the fee some other way, such as putting it in the tranaction cost vs showing the 3% separated out. I am only asking because I have a Cap One Card and do not plan to take it to Europe...

Archived