Best port to fish?

SuzCruzin

We've booked whale watching and glacier helicopter tours for Juneau. Of Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan, is there one place that is better than another for salmon fishing? Any suggestions on who to try to book with?

We're on the July 27 Southbound Summit and will be in Skagway July 30, ISP on July 31 and Ketchikan on August 1.

from best I can tell, Icy Straits IS Gustavus. If that isn't correct, then the info below about Gustavus doesn't apply. However, if it is accurate, then it looks like a tough call (between Ketchikan & Gustavus) for which port to do some salmon fishing in according to these stats:

Ketchikan:

Chinook (Kings): week of 7/30-8/05, 47/hour Average between 2002-2006

Chum (Dog): week of 7/30-8/05, 38/hour Average between 2002-2006 read the stats for yourself @ - http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region1/weekly/ktn.cfm

Gustavus (Icy Straits):

Chinook (Kings): week of 7/30-8/05, 66/hour Average for 2002-2006

Chum (Dog): week of 7/30-8/05, 182/hour Average for 2002-2006

stats are @ http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region1/weekly/gus.cfm

Skagway:

From a Skagway charter website: Claims a solid summer-long run of “feeder” kings. The feeders run late into September, making Skagway fishing productive throughout the tourist season. This means they won’t be as plentiful as the other two places but you could have a lucky day!

Couldn’t find Skagway listed on the Alaska Division of Fish and Game (ADFG) web site so perhaps that’s an indication of the amount of fish there?

How about fishing at both?! :D

As a fisherwoman, I've always heard about Ketchikan being the salmon capital of the world so my brain might make me "logically" just take that choice. However, been there done that - caught 3 fish amongst 4 people on our charter out of Ketchikan in the 1980s when there were supposed to be HUNDREDS of Kings in the area. And, the fish I caught was a Coho which wasn't even in season when we went there in late August! ...So it depends as much on the captain's expertise as the fish runs, I guess.

tight lines and go fish,

... Any suggestions on who to try to book with?

Unless you can get a local to give you a recommendation, this web site looks like a good place to read about various charters in Ketchikan:

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/ThingstoDo/Sportfishing/tabid/98/Default.aspx?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=salmon%20fishing%20ketchikan&utm_campaign=AdGroup&Network=Search&gclid=CLm43-WchY0CFQyAHgodM0wQhw

Icy Strait is not Gustavus, however, both are located on Icy Strait. Gustavus is near Glacier Bay and Icy Strait is across the channel of Icy Strait at Hoonah. Silvers, chum and pinks will all be in at the end of July. That is really a good time to fish salmon here, well, now is a good time too :)

thx for the update about Gustavus vs. Icy Strait.

are pink humpies running in any numbers this year? I thought they only ran every other year (the even years)?

I think you are thinking that they run every other year because the are a "2 year fish", but what that means is they take 2 years to grow then come back and spawn. So the pinks coming in this summer are 2 years old, last years pinks are still in the ocean growing. But in even numbered years it is a larger run up here.

:confused: Thanks for the replies. I found a few fishing charters but wanted to see if anyone knew anything about any of them -

Ketchikan - Explore Alaska Charters and Go Fish Ketchikan

Icy Strait - Teckk Outfitters - I read alot about these folks on the boards, but I don't think Keith is available. They can book me with another group, but I won't know who until we get there.

Thanks!

:confused: Thanks for the replies. I found a few fishing charters but wanted to see if anyone knew anything about any of them -

Ketchikan - Explore Alaska Charters and Go Fish Ketchikan

Icy Strait - Teckk Outfitters - I read alot about these folks on the boards, but I don't think Keith is available. They can book me with another group, but I won't know who until we get there.

Thanks!

I don't know who Teckk is booking. The Galley (907 945-3200) books Dream Fish Charters and Tok River Outfitters. Here are their websites:

http://dreamfishalaska.com/

http://tokriver.com/

Both websites have pictures of their boats and information about the charters.

I spent a few days fishing in Ketchikan in May. Fishing a bit slow then, but by August you should be in excellent fising.

Whatever you do, AVOID the "skiffs" that the rotten cruise lines will arrange for you to use. Rather, other charters on larger boats are available.

I fished with Tab McNabb (see http://www.ketchfish.com) and had a great experience. His rates will shellac any cruise lines, and the experience should be vastly superior. THere is no contest.

- Jim Scott

Archived