Acrylic - Gells - Silk Wrap ???

tgo's

I am wanting to get help for my weak nails but need advice.

What are the differences between getting acrylic, gell, or silk wraps to help strengthen and lengthen your nails?

Have you had good (or bad) luck with any of these methods?

Are there other options that I am not aware of?

I want to have some idea of what I am asking about before I go to the salon.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I was like you a couple of years ago - my nails were soft, wouldn't grow, broke off, etc. A friend had had silk wraps for years and suggested I try them. It was the best thing I ever did! I like the silk wraps as there are fewer chemicals involved overall and unlike acrylic, there isn't the damage to the nail bed that I've heard about from other friends who have tried those. I chose not to go with gel as my manicurist said they didn't take nail color well and French was about my only option (and they were more expensive). I've heard others say they have no problem with color staying on gel nails, so go figure!

I keep mine fairly short as I do a lot of keyboarding at work and gardening at home - neither of which lends itself well to long nails. I have them re-done every three weeks. I know others have them done every two weeks as their nails grow faster than mine do.

So - I'm a silk fan and I still love it when I'm washing my hair in the shower and can actually feel the nails "scrubbing" my scalp. Good luck with your decision making!

I've had all three (and then some including LCN years ago) and after two years of no nails (I have thin nails that split once they get to a certain length) I am back to silk-wraps and I love it!! I keep them a very active length (or else I'd never be able to type) and, like gels and acrylics, your nail polish will last for a full two weeks (unlike natural nails that chip within a day or two).

Some of my friends have the new LCN (light concept nails) that look like natural nails that don't need to have polish applied. They are very expensive to initially get and a fill in is about $50 every two to three weeks (depending on the person). With these, you also need to oil your nails everyday or they will lift and pop off.

Good luck...

Interesting article on the different types of nails. I'd never heard of the silk wraps. I don't know anywhere here that actually sells them.

Where I live we have acrylic, gel and solar gel. I have solar gel. They are the thinnest and most natural looking and also do not turn yellowy from the sun or from tanning beds. Little more $$ than the other two but totally worth it in my opinion.

They may be damaging to the nail bed, but for me a chronic nail biter these are a total godsend. I've only broken a nail once in almost two years and I TOTALLY love them. You absolutely cannot tell that these babies are fake!

What I have seen some people do is to have their own nails lightly coated in the solar gel (without extensions) and then it gives them a little strength while their own nails grow out.

The silks do sound interesting though; wish they had them here so I could check them out for myself.

I've had them for years...

Acrylic - they use a powder and special liquid and "paint" it on your nails. To add length, they can glue on a nail tip (extension) and then apply the acrylic over it. You need refills every few weeks depending on how fast your nails grow. Solar (not regular) makes amazing looking french manicures but it's a little more expensive. Pluses: Easy to find somewhere to do them, easy to add length. Minus: Lifting from the back or tips if you wait too long between refills.

Gel - they use a thick liquid and then "cure" the nails under a special light. I haven't had these in years because I moved and couldn't find someone who could do them the way I liked. Plus: I never had a problem with lifting and could go 3+ weeks between refills. They made color gels, so your polish never chipped or faded. Minus: More expensive and it is hard to find someone to do them.

Silk wrap: little bits of fabric on your nail with glue. Once it is buffed, you can't see the fabric. Plus: easy to do yourself, makes your nails stronger, good fix for a broken nail, good if you can grow your own nails but just need to add strength. Minus: can't add length,

HTH!

I have had silk wraps on my nails for about the last 15 yrs.

I am a nurse and have to get up early for my shift and often was lax about hair styling and makeup, so I wanted my hands to look nice at all times. With washing my hands all day, keeping my own nails looking nice was close to impossible and I decided to try the silk wraps and have never looked back.

I have never had any problems. My manicurist told me, for the money they are the best value compared to gel or acrylics and they do not lift like acrylics and so are less likely to be receptive to germs and infections(like fungus, etc.)

Every few years or so--I have let my own nails "breath" without them, and I always regret that--they are very thin and don't grow out strong. So I always go back to the wraps. I love it.

BTW--you can have silk wrap extensions added if you want them a bit longer. I have had this done when I have broken a nail.

Cost--for a full set--$50 for a glue manicure every 2 weeks--$17 and a refill is $30. Permanent french with silk wraps is $60 for a new set. I need to soak off the old and get an entire new set about every 8-10 weeks.

I used to do acrylic for over a year a long time ago they damaged the nail bed so bad that I was completely unable to grow nails without them spliting.

This is my fix, you might find it kind of odd but it worked amazing for me!

I was applying some lip balm and was reading the tin and say that one of the uses was for dried and cracked cuticles. I didn't have dried cuticles and don't know why I tried it or why I did it for so long, but I started lightly applying my lip balm to my nails. It's been 6 months now and I'm still doing it twice a day and I now have the most amazing unbreakable nails of my own!!

http://www.beautyhabit.com/smi.rosebud.html

I too, have used Avon lip balm on my cuticles, as well as for moisturizing fingers from a dry skin happening from a floral Product, Actually, my red floral designer knife..it's the red finish on the handle)..but it worked..especialy with all the water I worked in..need to try that again!

Thank you all for your responses -- this was exactly the kind of input I needed.

luvmytbear - thank you for the link - good info

PollyPenguin and NJDragonLady -- Silk wrap's have been the direction I was leaning and your testimonials have me leaning even more.

Melissa84 -- Thank you for the pro/con on each

I have been in food service for the last 8 years and due to health codes realy couldn't wear polish at work - with washing my hands constantly my nails look more that a bit rough. I am now changing my line of work and look forward to having pretty nails once more - it seems like forever since I have. About 18 years ago I had tried acrylic nails and had problems with them lifting - don't know if it was me, the nails, or the quality of the process at the time.

Would love to hear from anyone else who can tell what has helped them - the lip balm tip interests me - I'll have to try that for my cuticles.

Interesting article on the different types of nails. I'd never heard of the silk wraps. I don't know anywhere here that actually sells them.

Where I live we have acrylic, gel and solar gel. I have solar gel. They are the thinnest and most natural looking and also do not turn yellowy from the sun or from tanning beds. Little more $$ than the other two but totally worth it in my opinion.

They may be damaging to the nail bed, but for me a chronic nail biter these are a total godsend. I've only broken a nail once in almost two years and I TOTALLY love them. You absolutely cannot tell that these babies are fake!

What I have seen some people do is to have their own nails lightly coated in the solar gel (without extensions) and then it gives them a little strength while their own nails grow out.

The silks do sound interesting though; wish they had them here so I could check them out for myself.

Thanks for the advice on Solar! I quit having mine done, acrylic and silk after the constant yellowing (only do the french manicure) from sunlight/tanning beds. They would yellow in just a few days and it was maddening. I've been hoping to find another solution before next cruise and this might be the trick! Thanks again!

Romy

this is an interesting read for someone who was born with fairly good strong healthy nails. I didn't realize how often one had to go for fills etc. and complete re-dos for the artificial nails.

maybe I'll spring for the occasional manicure now! I do wear gloves whenever I wash dishes by hand and that does help your natural nails.

I do use the computer etc. so find I can only let my nails grow to a certain extent before they interfer with my typing.

good luck to all you ladies who need a bit of help from the artificial nails.

may have good nails here but other body parts need some assistance!:D

I used to have acrylic nails, but hated the time spent getting them redone. I started using an OPI product called Nail Envy. My nails are hard enough that I have to cut them with clippers frequently. For some reason, my cuticles are not as dry either. It comes in only clear and matte - if you use color on it, it will yellow your nails. Just take it off with regular remover to color nails. The directions for use come with it. I really love this product!!

I am wanting to get help for my weak nails but need advice.

What are the differences between getting acrylic' date=' gell, or silk wraps to help strengthen and lengthen your nails?

Have you had good (or bad) luck with any of these methods?

Are there other options that I am not aware of?

I want to have some idea of what I am asking about before I go to the salon.

Thanks in advance for all your help.[/quote']

There are several different systems for artificially strengthening and/or lengthening nails. The usually fall into three categories.

Acrylic nails are the most popular of all nail overlays. If it's not done well, the nails can look thick and very artificial. Find a manicurist who’s an expert at applying acrylic nails and you can get a very thin, natural-looking nail. They usually need to be filled in every two to three weeks as your nails grow, but depending on how hard you are on your nails, you may need to see the manicurist sooner to avoid nail loosening, which can lead to mold or fungus if water gets trapped underneath. If a professional removes them properly, the acrylic nails should cause little weakening to the nail plate. One factor that might make you choose acrylic is that it’s the most commonly-used artificial nail and, if you travel a lot, it will be easier for you to find a manicurist to repair or fill in when necessary.

Wraps are pieces of silk, linen or fiberglass that have been cut to the required shape and glued to the nail plate. This adds strength (sometimes length) to the nail. Done on natural nails, wraps are most commonly used to strengthen the tips of the nail to prevent chipping of the edge. Silk is the most natural-looking wrap and provides a lot of flexibility, but can be too delicate for those with a very active lifestyle. Linen is stronger, but it isn’t transparent and appears thick. Fibreglass is the best of both worlds, since it provides the natural look of silk and the strength of linen.

Gel nailswere originally made of dental porcelain gel-powder. Nowadays, manicurists use a Mylar form to sculpt your nail, and then cure, or set it under an ultraviolet light. Because of this process, gel nails generally need to be filled in less often than acrylic nails, though fill-ins are still necessary and a professional must remove the tips. They don’t lift as often as acrylic nails do, and if the manicurist uses tinted gels to give it a French manicure look, let’s say, you don’t even need nail polish on top as the gel dries to a finished shine.

In some salons you can also get a French manicure with pink and white acrylic powder, with a gel overlay on top to seal it. They call it a "permanent French Manicure".

I hope this helps.

Sharon H.

Archived