Men in Flip flops?

Tex Gal

Tomorrow is my sons 16th b-day, he's a good sized kid - body wise he is already a man. ...He didn't want any part of sandals or flip flops.

What is up with that? :confused: Kids where I am from wear flip flops all the time...boy and girls both. My son's been wearing them since he was a little fella. He'd never be without a pair. For that matter neither would I. I only wear them in the summer (once my feet are tan!!) but they are really a very useful item in both our closets!! I can't imagine going to the beach, or anywhere on a summer vacation, without them. And I always have a pair in my gym back for the locker room floor!!!;)

My fiance used to abhor sandals or flip flops. Since we're cruising this year, I did convince him to just buy one pair of sandals and try them. He surprisingly liked them. He wears them quite often now. Not bad for a guy who hasn't had a pair of sandals on his feet in 35 years!

For the record, I hate feet. I think all feet are ugly after age 1. I don't even like looking at my own! :D But, his bare feet are presentable and they look OK. I agree: If you don't have a few minutes to at least make sure your feet aren't gross, do us all a favor and put on a pair of sneakers.

In Virginia Beach it works like this...

Flip Flops - Men\Women [Yes]

Beach - [Yes]

Casual Restaurant - [Yes]

At work on a casual; casual day - [Yes]

Any beach bar - [Yes]

Mall - [Yes]

To a friends house [Yes]

Sandals - Women [Yes]

Sandals - Men [i will talk to you but don't get any funny ideas]

Mandals! Egads!

It is the same here, all people, men, women, kids, teenagers wear flip flops everywhere. I played in a golf tournament this past weekend and afterwards the Chief of Police and Sheriff were talking to each other and they were both wearing flip flops.

Tracers QQ, go online and have him look at Rainbow flip flops. They are really really popular with the kids around here. Almost any surf shop will carry them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Sandals

My husband loves flip flops and wears them when he is casual. The comment about men not having nice feet- my husband has better, softer feet than I do. I get pedicures every 2-3 weeks trying to keep them in tip top shape! He wears socks and shoes all week while living the Florida life I am in heels/sandals almost all year. All of the tile in the house and my nail salon scream for me to wear socks when I am home, lol.

This thread totally has me cracking up! I agree that so many men have gross feet! Ack! And women for that matter! Every Spring, someone in my office sends out the SAME email every year to all of the women telling us all about how it's time to take care of feet, trim the nails, keep soft skin, and maintain the toenail polish. It's really quite funny! Anyway, back to the actual topic -- My husband never ever wore sandals before I met him. I got him to wear some nice Bjorn sandals a few years ago, and now he is even wearing flip flops. Despite his hairy legs and feet (ack!) he is well-groomed and doesn't have the gross, nasty feet that would be embarrassing. He only wears the flip flops when at the pool or beach though. In jeans or khakis, he would wear the nice Bjorn sandals.

As a guy I almost live in my flip flops during my off time in the summer. I happen to have very nice feet, I guess that I am just lucky, my best friend is actually jealous that her feet don't look as nice even after a pedicure!

I went to las vegas with her, and we had pedicures, the lady doing mine asked how often I had my feet done, I told her that this was the first time, and she was surprised!

Flip flops fit very nicely into a casual lifestyle, I have the crocs athens they are attractive, and oh so comfy.

MAC

I absolutely hate feet--any kind, but my fiance has the most masculine, good looking feet I've ever seen on a man. He usually wears the adidas-type sandals during the summer, with a nice pair of khaki cargo shorts and a nice summer shirt. I think he looks adorable :p

I can't do flip flops.........not because of the way they look, but I can NEVER keep 'em on my feet. I walk out of them every time...............

So, it's dockers most of the time, or barefoot when allowed...........

I can't do flip flops.........not because of the way they look, but I can NEVER keep 'em on my feet. I walk out of them every time...............

So, it's dockers most of the time, or barefoot when allowed...........

Yeah, other than my feet getting cold, that's my main problem with flops too...they simply aren't built to stay on well for any serious walking. But my Reefs are the exception - love them (wearing them right now :D )!!!

Hey Dave, we spent the weekend doing our annual trip to Arlington Park. Had a great time. And then there was the obligatory visits to Shaws Crab House. Love those Blue Raz Margaritas.

Actually, my sister and I make pilgrimages to Chicago from our homes in Southern Wisc a few times a year. We stay at Peninsula and hop right out of bed and into Saks. If you ever see a woman walking down Michigan Ave. with her purse smoking, you'll know it's me and my overused credit cards. LOL

I wear flip-flops/sandals all the time, even in cold weather (warmth permitting)

Now that it's summer, I'm always in sandals. It's important even for men to take care of thier feet in warm weather (gotta let em breathe too). So, at the end of the work day, off come the shoes and socks!

PS ...

And to the comment about mens feet being "ugly" .... I keep getting many compliments from women (my sister started it!) about how healthy and tan they look. So wearing this type of footwear does have advantages. ;)

OK, first of all men aren't like us girls, that worry that much about our feet. My DH found that wearing running shoes, with socks, in hot climates, just isn't comfortable. He has started wearing Tevas, which he finds very comfortable. He can't stand the whole between the toe, flip flop feeling, so this was a good alternative for him. Teva makes some nice looking sandles, which are very light and functional (i.e., waterproof). The look I like is (another TMI moment perhaps ) is a guy in shorts, with tanned legs, wearing Sperry Topsiders (no socks of course) standing on a deck of a sailboat. Thank goodness, I will be in Newport RI in a month!

OK, I digress. If you have a SO that doesn't exactly take foot grooming as a priority, it would be to his and the world's advantage to gently guide him. Take it upon yourself to make it sensual and fun for him to have great, well groomed, soft feet. You know your guy, use your imagination to make it fun! Tell him you would love to suck his toes if only........(is that too graphic?, sorry), give him a foot massage, concentrating on those rough spots on the heels. I think it could be a confidence issue that guys have about their feet. However, this could have a down side. If guys started packing as many shoes as us, I would have a major luggage real estate fight on my hands.

I forgot to add that I would NEVER put my bare feet on a hotel room or cruise cabin floor. Heck, I won't even walk into my own kitchen without my flips on. Goodness knows what someone broke or spilled while I was sleeping! Flips rule.

Actually, this flip flop thing is new... I just went and bought him a whole new wardrobe! Seriously!! He was still wearing clothes from 10 years ago - because he hasn't changed his size. Tapered leg jeans, t-shirts with everything, and WHITE tennis shoes. He is only 32! I called him a Paw-paw - but he seems to be very open to the change. I'm not sure if his toes are "right" for flops, because he has to keep his big toenail long due to the fact that they get ingrown. (had them removed but didn't work...) That may be TMI, but I want him to wear them anyway. He would not even consider getting a pedicure. I think he looks so cute in his new clothes - the biggest thing is the flops and not tucking his shirt in. Just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks for your replies! ~A

Ok, your post had me cracking up. I had the same problem w/ DH a few years ago, he was always tucking in his golf shirts. I have finally managed to convince him that tucking in his shirt is soooo out. Now about the flip-flops, my DH wears his all the time. Although his look more like the ones down below, they are called slides. I don't tell him that though, nor do I call them sandals, we go w/ flip-flops. He says when he hears the other words he thinks of girl shoes, men they are so funny sometimes.:D

3034-229117-d.jpg

Really? Maybe in your part of the world. LOL! I think us out here in S.California were practically born with

them on our feet. :D

Nothing new here..........

Hey Kurban, no kidding about being born w/ them on. I wear mine all year round, as long as it is not too cold or raining. I wear them w/ jeans, capris, yoga pants, gauchos, bermuda shorts, you name it. I have mostly hard-wood flooring in my house so I wear in place of my ugg slippers during the summer. That is another thing, Uggs. Flip-flops and Uggs, two of my favorites, could be a CA thing though.:D

PS ...

And to the comment about mens feet being "ugly" .... I keep getting many compliments from women (my sister started it!) about how healthy and tan they look. So wearing this type of footwear does have advantages. ;)

You go! :D

I just think feet are ugly period, no matter which gender they're attached to. Baby feet are OK, but once they start walking, ick... Even the most well groomed adult feet are gross. To me, an armpit is less nasty than a foot. I have an anti-foot fetish! lol I'm still trying to figure out why I hate feet so much!

ETA - I just noticed that this was my 1,000th post! lol

Hey everyone - I'd like your opinion. What are your thoughts on men in flip flops? I just bought hubby a pair - and I think he can wear them other than on the cruise. What are your thoughts? They are brown crocs - and look like leather straps - but they are not. I think they are very nice but hubby hasn't worn a "sandal" before. Thoughts on men in flops?

Or he'll get a blister between his toes and hate them. I haven't worn flip flops in 15 years and can't stand anything in between my toes. But that being said, if I were to start again, I would take my time breaking that area in. Flips flops for men are fine for home and the pool.

I can't wear flip-flops either. Several reasons: not enough support, can't stand the strap between my toes, need something across the back or they fall off my feet.

I'm considering Keens for our upcoming Hawaii cruise...any feedback on leather vs. nylon?

[sarcasm]

Oh mah lawd!

Feet are terrible and disgusting (especially male feet) and should never be seen, and are never appropriate in flip flops, slides, sandals or whatever you want to call them...

Especially on a cruise!

I state my case!

I am disgusted I tell you disgusted!

CJW

[/sarcasm]

SuitSandalsJoshuaJackson.jpg.55b94a7da29dd1aa808ba9328d305f41.jpg

SuitSandalsAndyRoddick.jpg.52ae268e0d4045c99edd26b533d7c6f4.jpg

SuitSandalsEthanHawke.jpg.2059c3a478a62978a184404b6fddfde4.jpg

SuitSandalsHeathLedger.jpg.3922f03420abd94fd8b9db19be3c94e2.jpg

SuitSandalsRobertDowneyJr.jpg.77727233e250b659f58674f5059b41a9.jpg

[sarcasm]

Oh mah lawd!

Feet are terrible and disgusting (especially male feet) and should never be seen, and are never appropriate in flip flops, slides, sandals or whatever you want to call them...

Especially on a cruise!

I state my case!

CJW

[/sarcasm]

So you must have ugly feet:( Most men don't.....sorry...style is flip flops.....

Hey Kurban, no kidding about being born w/ them on. I wear mine all year round, as long as it is not too cold or raining. I wear them w/ jeans, capris, yoga pants, gauchos, bermuda shorts, you name it. I have mostly hard-wood flooring in my house so I wear in place of my ugg slippers during the summer. That is another thing, Uggs. Flip-flops and Uggs, two of my favorites, could be a CA thing though.:D

Yep Cali........I think sometimes people don't understand us Californians......:D :D

[sarcasm]

Oh mah lawd!

Especially on a cruise!

I state my case!

CJW

[/sarcasm]

Great photos Curt. I couldn't have found a better way to describe how ridiculous flip flops look with dressy clothing!

Archived