Help me today please! Coral Princess or Zuiderdam for Panama Canal?

CoolChile

Some of the reviews for the Zuiderdam are "lacklustre" to say the least, and are giving me pause about booking her for a full-transit Panama Canal repositioning this Fall, Vanc - FLL. I know there just might be a bit of bias on the board ;) , but I hear such good things about Coral Princess for this trip. I'd love to hear your reasons TODAY why the Zui would be a better choice (HAL's sale ends today) or at least a good choice.

I'd appreciate your help SO much!

CoolChile

We've sailed twice on the Coral (Full transit Canal, Alaska) and once on the Zuiderdam (Carribean). I enjoyed each ship very much. And I think that both HAL and Princess have strong points. If I had to suggest one ship over the other for a full transit cruise, I'd suggest the Coral Princess. She was built for the canal and is a lovely, graceful ship. We sailed in a minisuite and had lots of room and good viewing. The food and service were excellent.

Either way, both ships are wonderful and you will have a good trip on either. My subjective preference would be for the Coral, though.

I have not sailed on the Zuiderdam, but my last cruise on Coral was my best of all my cruises.

Coral has been voted as the favorite of all ships on the Princess line, and due to her popularity her cruises are seldom at a reduced price.

Go Coral Princess!

john

We sailed full transit (Long Beach to Florida) in September 2005 on Coral Princess. Although I had previously cruised several times, it was my family's first cruise ever and they are now hooked. Both teens are planning careers on cruiseships. We have chosen HAL now because of their itinerary and are looking forward to it. However, we could not fault Coral Princess.I am sure that you will enjoy your time.

Jennie

As noted above, Coral Princess was designed for the Panama Canal transits.

One huge advantage (my opinion) of the Coral over the Zuiderdam is self-service laundries. Coral has them, Z-dam doesn't.

What is meant by the phrase "... she was built for the Panama Canal transit?". Does that relate merely to its size (maximum beam of 108 ft)? Or is there something else about the Coral Princess' layout that makes it particularly suited over other ships for the Canal? I'm booked on the Maasdam in January and now by interest is peaked on whether I should consider switching. Thanks.

"She was built for Panama Canal transits" was a phrase used by Princess when she and her sister, Island Princess were introduced. Other Princess ships (Grand class) are too beamy for the Canal.

I'm guessing they used the phrase primarily because of her beam, but also because of the large number of balconies.

She has an almost liner-like hull, with her length/beam ratio.

"She was built for Panama Canal transits" was a phrase used by Princess when she and her sister, Island Princess were introduced. Other Princess ships (Grand class) are too beamy for the Canal.

I'm guessing they used the phrase primarily because of her beam, but also because of the large number of balconies.

She has an almost liner-like hull, with her length/beam ratio.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I appreciate all your comments ... many thanx ... the Zui had space, the Coral does not. Decision made.

So I checked the roll call for the Zui's full transit canal cruise Sept 29 starting in Vancouver ... less than 3 months away and only 4 posts (by 3 people). Wow, if this was Princess there would be hundreds of posts by now. I'm no insane-up-all-night-party-girrrrl but hope HAL isn't THAT quiet ... it's scaring me :eek: .

:cool: CoolChile

What is meant by the phrase "... she was built for the Panama Canal transit?". Does that relate merely to its size (maximum beam of 108 ft)? Or is there something else about the Coral Princess' layout that makes it particularly suited over other ships for the Canal? I'm booked on the Maasdam in January and now by interest is peaked on whether I should consider switching. Thanks.

She is 965 feet in length, and while the Canal is 1,000 ft, I believe that a ship of 970 ft, is a mximum. Add to this she has over 700 balcony rooms, but she only has 1970 cruisers, [two per room], and is 92,000 tons!

john

Cool Chile--

I'm on the 17-day LA-FLL portion of your 21 day cruise. I started a roll call and it's had ZERO replies.

Scared? Nah. I prefer to think of it as a not-sold-out cruise which means more space for each of us! lolol ....

(Also, lots of HAL cruisers are notoriously not Roll Call posters ... I don't know why).

See ya in LA on October 3.....

Carol

Even though I did not do the Zui through the Canal we did use HAL for a 16 day full transit on the Zaandam. We did sail the oosterdam which we found very enjoyable and food very good. HAL's ship itineraries are basically the same on all the ships even the vista ones. It is low key cruising with maybe very few exceptions in the summer (more young people). If you are not an up all night party person you will enjoy the Zui...It does get quiet around 10 pm, in our experience. I remember our first HAL cruise..I was amazed when the ship went dead at 10..where is everybody!? I found myself watching a movie and relaxing instead of dancing the night away. I ended up with a good night's sleep and ready to go in the morning (think of it this way...you won't miss anything..lol). Be positive. You will enjoy the Zui!

Thank you Carol & Linda ... feelin' better about doing the Zui (even if I CAN'T do my own laundry :( ). Hey, "doing the Zui" ... that sounds like a dance everyone does on the Zuiderdam at midnight ... :p

ASA (all seriousness aside ;) ), my DH & I know we'll have a good time ... and that WE are responsible for making it so. That said, I hope the roll call(s) pick up ... we'd love to be able to meet 'n' greet others from the board and then see familiar cute little faces as time goes by.

Carol, at least there'll be you and us for the tiniest ever meet 'n' greet post LA if nothing changes!

For anyone else who is on all or part of this full transit Zui cruise starting in Vancouver Sept 29, p l e a s e consider 'breaking out' and doing a roll call post ... I can just sense you live to make me happy. :D

:cool: CoolChile

Archived