Transportation Whittier to Seward?

rebburke

How do I get from Whittier to Seward? There is no train service, correct? And no rental company that has one way rentals between the two? We want to drive down to Seward after our cruise and spend a night and then take the train from Seward to Anchorage.

Well, the first two suggestions only travel to Anchorage, not Seward and the third quoted me $300 for the three of us which sounds pretty steep. I was thinking my only option would be rent a car and drive to Seward (Hertz doesn't allow one way rentals to Seward) and then drive it back to Whittier and then take the train from Whittier to Anchorage. If anyone else has any ideas I would sure welcome them. Thanks for all the input.

Well, the first two suggestions only travel to Anchorage, not Seward and the third quoted me $300 for the three of us which sounds pretty steep. I was thinking my only option would be rent a car and drive to Seward (Hertz doesn't allow one way rentals to Seward) and then drive it back to Whittier and then take the train from Whittier to Anchorage. If anyone else has any ideas I would sure welcome them. Thanks for all the input.

Actually $300 for three of you sounds about right. Rather than renting from Hertz in Whittier and dropping off back in Whittier, consider renting from Hertz in Whittier and dropping off in Anchorage, just keeping the car while you are in Seward. If you are in Seward for only a night or two, this would probably be cheaper than the local rental in Whittier plus a train ticket one way for three from Whittier to Anchorage, not to mention the extra time involved. Note - you will also get sticker shock with the one-way Hertz rental.

The other option is to take the train or a shuttle service from Whittier to Anchorage, rent a car there, drive to Seward and return the car to Anchorage. But you are losing a lot of time doing it that way.

I have a reservation with Hertz in Whitter, California. Thank you so much for pointing that out to me. I really would have been out of luck had I gotten there to find out no Hertz.

Archived