Any reason not to make final payment early?

trishaedge

I have never made my final payment before the due date because if you had an emergency and had to cancel before final payment, you would receive your deposit refunded without having paid for any insurance. Once final payment is made, you can't receive any refunds for emergencies unless you take out insurance. The insurance permium is then not refundable.

As for Compass Rewards coupons, I have NCL apply them to my final payment due, making my final payment less on the due date.

I have never made my final payment before the due date because if you had an emergency and had to cancel before final payment, you would receive your deposit refunded without having paid for any insurance. Once final payment is made, you can't receive any refunds for emergencies unless you take out insurance. The insurance permium is then not refundable.

As for Compass Rewards coupons, I have NCL apply them to my final payment due, making my final payment less on the due date.

This is not accurate. You can receive refunds right up to final payment date even though you have made your final payment.

PE

I see no really GOOD reason to pay in advance.

Once THEY have the money, any number of things could happen. Maybe the rules are supposed to be the same regarding final payment date, but ***** happens. I had to cancel once, and the portion they owed me took about 6 weeks. Cash flow anyone?

And you have to deal with less than talented customer service.

Just not worth it.

I see no really GOOD reason to pay in advance.

Once THEY have the money, any number of things could happen. Maybe the rules are supposed to be the same regarding final payment date, but ***** happens. I had to cancel once, and the portion they owed me took about 6 weeks. Cash flow anyone?

And you have to deal with less than talented customer service.

Just not worth it.

Besides Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?:eek:

PE

Different cruise line, but if Compass Rewards is anything like RCCL's credit card "Royal Points" program, I can tell you from current experience that your bill screws up a lot if it's not fully paid. We have a reservation that we applied a $500 upgrade coupon to, and the price dropped, and when we called to try to get the price drop it took six phone calls and a week before it was resolved (because the coupon comes from one place and the reservation is in another and they have trouble reconciling the two). My parents, on the other hand, had already fully paid for their cabin, and the CS rep simply said, "Oh, I can credit their credit card back the difference, no problem." So we're going to pay in full for our RCCL cruise which isn't until February 2008--just to make it easier if the price drops. :)

Different cruise line, but if Compass Rewards is anything like RCCL's credit card "Royal Points" program, I can tell you from current experience that your bill screws up a lot if it's not fully paid. We have a reservation that we applied a $500 upgrade coupon to, and the price dropped, and when we called to try to get the price drop it took six phone calls and a week before it was resolved (because the coupon comes from one place and the reservation is in another and they have trouble reconciling the two). My parents, on the other hand, had already fully paid for their cabin, and the CS rep simply said, "Oh, I can credit their credit card back the difference, no problem." So we're going to pay in full for our RCCL cruise which isn't until February 2008--just to make it easier if the price drops. :)

One more reason to stick with the NCL card. Besides the fact the rewards are better never had any issue with getting credit back to my card even when part of the fare was paid with a voucher. As far as NCL is concerned they are treated like any other payment not a discount coupon that TAs hate.

I have a question: If the price drops before final payment, isn't it easier to negotiate getting the lower price if you have not paid the final payment? That has been our experience. Thus, we never pay our final payment more than a week before it is due.

Because my credit card was expiring on the day my final payment was due, I paid in full before this date. Guess what! NCL credited me for a price drop after I had made the final payment. The more I sail on NCL (two trips so far and two more booked), the more it appears that they are fair and square with respect to pricing.

Because my credit card was expiring on the day my final payment was due, I paid in full before this date. Guess what! NCL credited me for a price drop after I had made the final payment. The more I sail on NCL (two trips so far and two more booked), the more it appears that they are fair and square with respect to pricing.

All Companies have official public policies. NCL's fare policies are published on their web site. As long as they follow it to the letter, one shouldn't feel cheated.

One should feel most fortunate if a Company bends the rules in your favor, but one shouldn't expect it as a matter of course, just because you asked for a variance.

All Companies have official public policies. NCL's fare policies are published on their web site. As long as they follow it to the letter, one shouldn't feel cheated.

One should feel most fortunate if a Company bends the rules in your favor, but one shouldn't expect it as a matter of course, just because you asked for a variance.

No bending of the rules here. The fact you have paid in full prior to the final payment date should and has not for me effect your ability to take advantage of a reduction in the fare. It is that date not when you pay that triggers penelties and generally no changes to the booking.

Archived