November or April Med Weather?

Two@Sea

We booked the 4/16/08 Historic Reflections from Athens to Barcelona, but are suddenly considering a change to the 11/05/07 Sea of Antiquity cruise. Our only concern is the general weather differences in the Mediterranean between Spring and Fall. This will be our first time to that area (a dream come true for us) so I call upon those more experienced than we are to offer their advise. Thanks!

Thank you, Digby. I had done a search here, but most of the info was related to transatlantic crossings. I also checked weatherbase and underground (found by search). Both sites led me to believe the weather was comparable for both times of the year, so I was hoping to hear from people about their actual experiences.

I also realize that, ultimately, the "Weatherman in the Sky" has a great sense of humor... and we should expect the unexpected regardless of our decision! :)

Two@Sea

I can only tell you that the weather in Europe is warming up in April and heading for the Winter in November.

I would not dream of taking a Med Cruise that late in the year....in fact we do not generally take any holidays after Mid-October in Europe. The only exception to this is Marbella at Christmas where we have been lucky on occasions.

Brian

I was in Athens, Naxos, Santorini, and Myconos the last week of October and first week of November several years ago. Daytime weather was really pleasant, but the evenings were very chilly. One thing to consider if you are doing any of the greek isles is that many of the stores and restaurants close at the end of October. The next year we went back a month earlier and we couldn't believe the difference in the activity level - shops, restaurants and people. I would never vacation in that area again in November. Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks, LovesAffens. We had pretty much decided not to change our cruise after hearing from Brian, since we trust a UK resident would know far better than us about the weather. And now, after learning from you that shops etc would also be closed, we will definitely get the silly notion of going earlier out of our heads! Thanks again!

Hi, I am reading this with interest from another perspective. We are booked and fully paid and definitely going Rome - Singapore depart November 25th. We have two weeks in Italy beforehand. Brian - what is it that would make you never book that late in the year please? We are somewhat anti-social buggers, so the towns being quiet is a sort of a plus for us - having less tourists around sounds OK to me. We have booked into a dead posh hotel in Sorrento for a third of what it usually costs which is also sounding lovely and are planning to do a week in Rome, three days in Sorrento and then three days in Naples or Amalfi or back to Rome - leaving that unbooked at this stage. Am I being naive? I know it will be coldish, but if we can hope for a few sunny days with cold nights that's fine; we usually go to bed early anyway when there are things to see during the day. Once the ship hits the red sea we will be fine for warmer weather - I wonder what the seas in the Med. will be like??

To an extent I know it is always up to the Gods of course. Last year we left Beijing (you were there Brian I think) and it was supposed to be a bad time of year (dust storms, very cold). We certainly had the cold, but the air was crystal clear and blue skies, and then one day we had snow (which was great for an Aussie). So I was actual fact very happy. Guess I am just saying that if we don't expect to swim and sunbake we could be happy...or not...what do you think?

Lahore

Firstly we were not in Beijing last year but Jean and I were in Thailand on holiday over New Years.

The question actually referred to the weather and I answered that point only.

Being at Sea on rainy days just does not do it for me.....sorry.

You can be lucky or unlucky with the weather anywhere, we recently flew into Newark at the end of March and hit a snow storm and were marooned overnite.

70% off in Sorrento.....why ? Shops all closed up...........wet.......restaurants closed as all tourists gone.............

I hope you are lucky with the weather....in the meantime we are having floods in July in the UK........global warming !!!!

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for that -albeit rather bleak - outlook. It doesn't sound that great, but we'll make the best of a bad thing being as we are going to be there now, without doubt. I'll get back in early 2008 and let you all know if it rained in a way that stopped us and whether we found any restaurants open in Sorrento. Being at sea in rainy days doesn't do it much for me either - although on the other hand being fog bound in the Yangtze and hearing the fog horn go off every five minutes was rather fun. The rainy days won't last once we get past Cairo. Floods here too - but it's the right time of year for us.

I was on the Regatta from Barcelona to Athens April 17th-27th of this year. We were nervous about the weather as well, but it was absolutely perfect. I do not believe it rained one day, and weather was from the high 60's up to the mid 80's in Florence and Rome. I know we were extremely lucky, but seemed like the perfect time to go. Not to crowded, and even when cool, it was light jacket weather.

Thanks, bdmgee. As mentioned, we have decided to keep our original booking for April, and your post has reinforced my determination NOT to get anxious again and search for something sooner!

Well I would not think you silly, but I do hope that the weather is nice for us - even partially. Whatever... we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I am in Melbourne, Australia.

We have been to Italy several times. We have been there in May, October, and July. The only time I would not return would be in July. It is very hot, humid, and crowded. I loved being there in 'off season.' The only place we found most of the shops closed was in Sardinia. The Amalfi coast and Capri were wonderful at the end of October last year.

Hi Digby

How's it going? We were on the Beijing to HK with you guys last year and shared your 60th birthday, remember us? It's good to know that you had great experiences in late October, as we are planning to be down the Amalfi so hopefully we will not be too cold.

Cheers

Lyn and Jon

Two@Sea

We'll be joining you on the Athens to Barcelona cruise. Had the same quesitons about the weather. Glad to findthese post and add a little clarity.

Thank you for starting the Roll Call on this sailing. Looking forward to a great cruise... at (apparently!) the perfect time of year, weatherwise!

Marsha

Hi Digby

How's it going? We were on the Beijing to HK with you guys last year and shared your 60th birthday, remember us? It's good to know that you had great experiences in late October, as we are planning to be down the Amalfi so hopefully we will not be too cold.

Cheers

Lyn and Jon

We absolutely remember you both! How are you doing? Sorry to say it was not my 60th birthday, but rather my 70th. LOL! We may be in your hometown next January. Will email you if we make the trip.

Hi you guys, how are you and your cute doggies? Oh well, 60, 70...it's all in the mind :o . That would be so cool if you come to Melbourne. We would love to show you around. Have you still got our email?

Archived