As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

Every single ship in the HAL fleet has As You Wish Dining. That is the term they use to cover all of the dining choices available on their ships. It isn't an "option".

Mary Ellen is correct here, or, sort of. HAL has pretty much used a word salad attempt to portray their dining options. No wonder their and other potential voyagers are confused, I even get confused after 200 days at sea with them (or only that is when I try to read their marketing stuff); furthermore, their staff gets confused as well.

E.G. On our next already booked HAL cruise, in their "What You Need to Know" package they say: "Our As You Wish Dining" lets you select the venue and style that suits you;" "Choose from a festive five-course affair, a quick casual dinner for two or an intimate meal in the privacy of your stateroom. You may choose either flexible/open dining or classic pre-set dining in the Main Dining Room, at the time of booking."

However, in their fancy glossy brochures, they explain it this way: "MAIN DINING ROOM: Whether you choose a pre-set seating and dining time or the freedom each evening to dine as "As you Wish"."

Long and short of this all is: If you book open seating you get listed as "OPEN SEATING". I'm not certain what they class traditional as on your booking as we don't do that anymore, probably "Classic". However, if you refer to HAL's open seating dining as "As You Wish" don't be embarrassed as they do too. Furthermore, if want to refer to HAL's "Classic"/Traditional" or whatever as "As You Wish Dining" that's okay also, as they do too. Go figure.

However, in their fancy glossy brochures, they explain it this way: "MAIN DINING ROOM: Whether you choose a pre-set seating and dining time or the freedom each evening to dine as "As you Wish"."

Long and short of this all is: If you book open seating you get listed as "OPEN SEATING". I'm not certain what they class traditional as on your booking as we don't do that anymore, probably "Classic". However, if you refer to HAL's open seating dining as "As You Wish" don't be embarrassed as they do too. Furthermore, if want to refer to HAL's "Classic"/Traditional" or whatever as "As You Wish Dining" that's okay also, as they do too. Go figure.

Simple reason, those who choose the traditional, fixed seating are also dining As They Wish. ;) No, HAL doesn't use "Classic". It's the same as always, early or main seating.

Simple reason, those who choose the traditional, fixed seating are also dining As They Wish. ;) No, HAL doesn't use "Classic". It's the same as always, early or main seating.

So, HAL does not use the term "Classic" hey?? From, HAL's "A signature of Excellence" what you need to know informative pre-cruise pamphlet:

"CLASSIC PRE-SET DINING: The traditional pre-set dining times are 5:45 PM and 8:00 PM in the Main Dining Room. Your seating assignment will be noted on your guest card upon boarding."

"FLEXIBLE OPEN DINING: Open dining times are 5:15 PM to 9:00 PM. The same gracious service and sophisticated five-star dining experience is featured, as it is in classic pre-set dining. If you choose the flexible, open-seating program in the Main Dining Room, you may make reservations."

How long does it take normally to dine on Holland? I just came back from a 7 day cruise to Alaska on Amsterdam and the service in the dining room seemed like it took way too long. We were usually seated right away with the open dining option, but breakfast took an hour. Lunch took an hour and half. We were basically there when they opened and closed the dining room. Is this normal?

On the cruise, we usually ate at the buffet because we have a child with us and found it difficult to make the assigned times. But to be honest the buffet was really disappointing and monotonous. In the dining room, I didn't find the food to be any much better for breakfast. But lunch was improved over buffet.

Some background: I have only cruised fixed seating on Princess before (hated it). And anytime dining on NCL (loved it).

Also there were problems with the availability of soft serve and cones. I'd never get them at lunch, and by the time I wanted one at 3 PM- they'd be out. I wish they had an ice cream bar you could pay for just so you could get ice cream when you want it.

Perhaps all this issue was with some GI illness warnings that were posted on board. Perhaps this was due to staff being sick or missing from work?

How long does it take normally to dine on Holland? I just came back from a 7 day cruise to Alaska on Amsterdam and the service in the dining room seemed like it took way too long. We were usually seated right away with the open dining option, but breakfast took an hour. Lunch took an hour and half. We were basically there when they opened and closed the dining room. Is this normal?

On the cruise, we usually ate at the buffet because we have a child with us and found it difficult to make the assigned times. But to be honest the buffet was really disappointing and monotonous. In the dining room, I didn't find the food to be any much better for breakfast. But lunch was improved over buffet.

Some background: I have only cruised fixed seating on Princess before (hated it). And anytime dining on NCL (loved it).

Also there were problems with the availability of soft serve and cones. I'd never get them at lunch, and by the time I wanted one at 3 PM- they'd be out. I wish they had an ice cream bar you could pay for just so you could get ice cream when you want it.

Perhaps all this issue was with some GI illness warnings that were posted on board. Perhaps this was due to staff being sick or missing from work?

That amount of time is pretty normal.