MegaTrain from London to Southampton

levart57

Has anyone booked this from Waterloo Station? How was the trip? I went on the website and it kept declining all my credit cards which I know are good.

I'm sailing Westbound from Southampton to Brooklyn. We will London on July 12. I'm looking for transfer options.

I have done it last year in October and thought it was a great opportunity.

There is a special compartment for megatrain passengers (which was virtually empty when I travelled). Comfortwise is exactly the same as a regular ticket. Just to warn you, these are commuter type of trains and storing luggage can be a bit of an issue.

A while ago there was also someone on this board from the US who had an issue with creditcard payment online. I can't remember how it was solved but I suggest you contact customer service.

Have a great trip!

Reint

Has anyone booked this from Waterloo Station? How was the trip? I went on the website and it kept declining all my credit cards which I know are good.

Yes its good - its a standard train, just cheaper - unfortunately the system does not appear to accept US credit cards - so you might try to book via phone, or get a Brit on your crossing, if you are in contact with any of them, to buy for you & settle up onboard.

Peter

What's the mega train? Is this something new?

The last time I went from London Waterloo to Soton, I just took an ordinary train. I forget the line, southwest trains, southest trains, something like that. I remember that it was a Sunday, and the trains had no luggage area at the ends. There were a lot of QM2 pasengers on the train, and we just piled our luggage on seats.

I've taken the train between London and Soton a few times, and there always have been taxis available at the train station. Once, there was a car show or some such thing going on in Soton and traffic was tied up. The taxi driver apologized because we were standing and waiting (no taxis already at the station) when he arrived. We kept telling him it was no problem, we'd been standing for only about one minute, but he felt bad that we'd been waiting for that small amount of time, and kept apologizing.

I've booked train tix online with out any problem. Maybe the website is having a bad day. It used to be possible to buy rail tix by phone in the US, and have them mailed to you, but I don't know if the service is still available. anyhow, the travel offices wouldn't be open on a weekend. Your best bet is to keep trying to train website. Are you using railtrack or the line's own site?

Hello,

I live in Southampton, and use this service quite often to travel to London- it is just a normal train service and the earlier you buy your ticket then the cheaper it is! You just need to print out your reservation numbers and show them to the train inspectors.

You should also check out southwesttrains.co.uk and they may have some cheaper advance rates. Megatrain usually works out much cheaper though.

I am also on the 12th July cruise, not long now, im soooo excited!

Steph xx

Thanks for your replies regarding train service. I'm thinking fo booking Cunard bus transfers from my hotel at $80 per person for the convenience.

Steph-I'm excited too! We'll be in London for three nights prior to the cruise.

Tickets have to be picked up from a ticket machine which need a UK type chip and pin card.

Ticket is by email only - no requirement for chip & pin - its just the system won't accept US credit cards.

Peter

Ooo $80, is that each? If so that sounds rather expensive for a coach journey of less than an hour and a half! Where abouts in London are you staying? x

It's a mute point now. The transfers are sold out. We're staying at the Grosvenor House Hotel. Will you be in London prior to the cruise? if so, where are you staying? Are you traveling alone? Do you have transportation from the hotel to Southampton?

Let me know.

Margie

Hello,

No I will not be travelling down from London, as I live in Southampton! But, my boyfriend will be travelling down on the morning of the 12th from London and trains can take as little as an hour and a quarter.

A walk up on the day fare will cost you about £25, and a taxi to the port will only cost £5-7 and there are always loads at the station (apologies if you already know this!). Where abouts is this hotel in London, will it be easy to get to Waterloo from it?

Megatrain has some rediculously priced tickets- only £4 to arrive in So'ton at 3.15, and £6 to arrive at 1.15. Is there no way the system will accept any of your cards?

Are you from New York? My boyfriend and I have been searching to find the easiest way of getting to our hotel in NY on public transport (I'm a student and so our New York stay will be the budget part of our trip!)- is this easy to do, or will we have to get a taxi?

xx

Archived