Airfare to Tahiti

hockeymom97

So I was really excited thinking that the next cruise I plan would be to Tahiti. I understand that a Tahitian cruise is going to be more expensive so I want to plan ahead. This probably won't be until 2009. Anyway - just to get an idea of what airfare is going to run I did a search on Kayak and it looks like the airfare will be close to $2,000 per person :eek: I'm wondering if it's always this expensive? Is there anyone who has done a Thaitian cruise that can comment on airfare?

By the way this was from Chicago to Papeete.

I think we may opt for one of the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and leave from HI - airfare to HI was much lower - around $650 p/p.

Don`t know about from Chicago, but from Lax to Ppt round trip with Princess Air we paid $999 each + taxes for our cruise this October. This was booked last December and was cheeper than booking it independantly.

• 1 month later...

We booked Princess air for the April 28th cruise from Canada and the price is $1831.to Tahiti from Toronto. We have just asked them to do a deviation so we can go on April 26th. Does anyone know what our chances are that it won't cost us more except for the fee and whether they will be able to book us two days ahead? Also if they can't meet our request do we still have to pay the deviation fee?

I have been searching all the airlines website and for now the prices are about the same.

Thanks anyone who can provide us this information.

Sherrill:)

Please look at this option-often cheaper.

Your home airport to LAX, then LAX to Tahiti (or Hawaii).

Trying to get one continuous ticket from your home airport to Tahiti is often cost prohibitive. Your home airport to LAX can be booked on any airline that has a good price. You will need to be at LAX AT LEAST 3 hours before your flight to Tahiti. Collect your luggage and make your way to terminal 2 or TBIT (the international terminal).

One good thing about this approach BESIDES the price-you KNOW your luggage at least made it to LAX. On a single ticket, with 2/3 plane changes from most of the US to LAX, you will NOT know if you luggage is on the plane until you arrive in Tahiti. That presents lots of problems, as there is no easy place for your luggage to catch up with you on the cruise. Since most of the flights from LAX to PPT are nonstop, if your luggage made it to LAX, it most likely will make it to Tahiti.

I'd go a step further....look into staying overnight at LAX. If you are on two tickets, there is no responsibility of the originating airline to get you to your final destination. With a padded schedule, you have a lot more security that a) you will get to LAX in time for your flight to PPT, and b) your luggage will be on that flight to PPT as well. Plus, you get to break up a LONG trip with a nice night in a comfortable bed, and will fly to Tahiti after a shower and a change of clothes and a good breakfast. If not overnight (haven't looked at when the flights to PPT leave), put a good time cushion in there.

Hotels in the LAX area can often be obtained on Priceline for under $65 per night. Use the name-your-own-price side of PL for the best values.

Generally, if Princess is offering pre-cruise stay (you dont have to take it), there will be no extra charges other than deviation fee.

We booked Princess air for the April 28th cruise from Canada and the price is $1831.to Tahiti from Toronto. We have just asked them to do a deviation so we can go on April 26th. Does anyone know what our chances are that it won't cost us more except for the fee and whether they will be able to book us two days ahead?

You will be be given the "total" extra charges -- deviation and surcharge. If you decline, you do not have to pay. If you accept, then you lose both if you later cancel the cruise even before full payment date.

Also if they can't meet our request do we still have to pay the deviation fee?

I have been searching all the airlines website and for now the prices are about the same.

Thanks anyone who can provide us this information.

Sherrill:)

Thanks everyone. For now we have booked Princess Air from Toronto direct on AC .Cost with deviation is $180 each but we will only have to pay the $86 deviation fee if we cancel the air. They gave us all the times we wanted. I will be watching for air price reduction from now until final payment date .

Sherrill

Thanks everyone. For now we have booked Princess Air from Toronto direct on AC .Cost with deviation is $180 each but we will only have to pay the $86 deviation fee if we cancel the air. They gave us all the times we wanted. I will be watching for air price reduction from now until final payment date .

Sherrill

Better check this out further. AC doesn't fly to PPT. You can fly out of Toronto on AC, AA, or United non stop to LAX. Then you transfer to Air Tahiti Nui. You can't even book to PPT on the AC website, so that means Princess is breaking your flights down into two separate components. You will most likely have to transfer your luggage yourself.

You can save a little bit of money booking the flights yourself (about $160.00pp). But if you already booked the Princess air, no sense loosing the deviation fee. Enjoy!!!

Sorry I meant to say that we changed carriers in Lax. Can't beat Princess's prices as of now for April 26th but will keep hoping that AC has a spring sale then it would be worth cancelling and paying the deviation fee. We really get stuck with airfares from Canada and Buffalo is not an option for us.

Sherrill

Please look at this option-often cheaper.

Your home airport to LAX, then LAX to Tahiti (or Hawaii).

Trying to get one continuous ticket from your home airport to Tahiti is often cost prohibitive. Your home airport to LAX can be booked on any airline that has a good price. You will need to be at LAX AT LEAST 3 hours before your flight to Tahiti. Collect your luggage and make your way to terminal 2 or TBIT (the international terminal).

One good thing about this approach BESIDES the price-you KNOW your luggage at least made it to LAX. On a single ticket, with 2/3 plane changes from most of the US to LAX, you will NOT know if you luggage is on the plane until you arrive in Tahiti. That presents lots of problems, as there is no easy place for your luggage to catch up with you on the cruise. Since most of the flights from LAX to PPT are nonstop, if your luggage made it to LAX, it most likely will make it to Tahiti.

This is a great suggestion - thank you!

Archived