waipio, valley of the kings

jjssitters

hi,spleen,sue and emi,I had a thread saved from the old boards about the valley of the kings and I remember sue I think talking about this tour and that she went in a van but wanted to go on the horse and wagon.well thats my question now because I cant find that thread should we take the van or the wagon and is this worth spending a whole day seeing,we went to the volcano last year and I am stumped at what to do in hilo this time.any sugesstions :) .I havent been on the hawaii ports boards in along time but now I have to decide what we are doing as our cruise is getting closer,so I am sorry if you have answered this questions a zillion times already :D

My friend did the horse and buggy and they really liked it. I don't know how you get down there. That is one scary road!! I went down via a friend who used to live down there and would drive up and down it all the time. It is really beautiful there and something you won't see anywhere else.

Can you take this tour from Hilo?? It is about the same distance I think from Kona or Hilo...

If you go there from Hilo - you can maybe go to the City of Refuge or something when you are in Kona...it's a thought anyway...

Emi

hi emi ,thanks.yes it is from hilo and they take you with a 4 wheel drive and then you tranfer to the wagon.I was glad to hear you say it was beautiful :) .it is a 5 and half hour tour.just wondering if we should do the horse and wagon or just the four wheel drive we have a choice

That sounds like a great tour! I saw Waipio from our helicopter (we weren't allowed to fly into the valley as it's sacred and the residents don't like the noise) and I think you'll enjoy the view from the top! Not sure if I'd want to take the horse and buggy, though; it would depend on the condition of the road.

We took the van because the horse and buggy was sold out when we booked. Take the horse and buggy. If you look closely you can just see the horse and buggy in this picture.
[IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/jcastle1/.cv/jcastle1/Sites/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-02-22%2019.20.33%20-0800/Image-EA8F439265AE11D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg[/IMG]

My husband and I took this tour and loved it. They start out at the top of the hill down the main drag a bit and then put you in the van, you drive down the street and they take you down a VERY steep hill and then drop you off where you board the wagon. There are also horseback tours. We chose the wagon and they take you thru town and talk about the people that live there currently, also that the area was where they hid Kamehameha when he was a boy. There was talk about a boy king who would be a famous ruler and take all of the islands, etc - its the story of King Kam. Very interesting if you are into that like we are. They take you around and show you different areas, basically it is very rural life in this part of Hawaii, lots of beautiful scenery, a chat about a "crazy" local who shoots at visitors and show you the tree with holes in it, how they haul everything in for building supplies, etc. Lots of fun and very interesting. The black sand beach at the base of the road is beautiful. Lots of waterfalls and lush, gorgeous foliage. The horses were mixed for our tour and we had one that was a nice Beligian looking (beer style) horse. Gigantic! I highly recommend this for families and those who are in the Been There Done That stage. Also the Flumin' Da Ditch tour.

Archived