How does NCL take care of news junkies?

SHINEMAN

you can buy a condensed version of major newspapers onboard for $3.95 a day. NY times, Wall ST Journal, USA Today, etc. see the person in charge at the internet cafe, it will be delivered to your door each day and you can order as many days as you like. i LOVE this service! :D

On our Mexican Riviera cruise we had access to CNN World and close-captioned Telemundo. I found it very interesting to get the news that is not U.S. centered. When the lead story during sports is Soccer, you know you're not at home! We also had no news on Kobe, Scott Peterson, etc, which was more than a little refreshing.

We also checked out the local newspaper and TV online just to be sure that our teens at home didn't do anything newsworthy;)

let me elaborate...the newspapers you pay for are about 16-20 pages. i usually get USA Today and there are articles from each main section and ads. the condensed 1 page NY Times that they give out at guest relations is still available, however by paying you could get an expanded version. at $3.95 its still a bargain to me, last year i paid $7.00 on shore for a USA Today!

The newspapers they are talking about are from a service called Newspaper Direct. You can get more information from their website at www.newspaperdirect.com If you want to know which ships the service is available on, choose "delivery" on the right side of the opening screen, and then find "cruise ships" in the country list.

I have done articles about the service, and they are the full edition of the newspaper chosen but in tabloid size. The only thing they are supposed to be missing is advertising supplements.

Yes, they can seem expensive, but to people who really need their morning paper (which may not get delivered until about 10am sometimes), it's worth it.

Alan Wilson

Cruise News Daily

I was told that the abbreviated NYT ( and other papers) were eliminated when the expensive full version came along. They said that NCL had no control over the price of the paper; that it is controlled by the operator of the computer cafe, or whatever it is called, which is a concession just as the photo operation, shops, etc.

They found out they can soak to passengers for $3.95 a day for a 2nd class recap of the news.

Another way to look at it. It is remarkable you can get a current newspaper at any price in the middle of the sea. It is much better then the USA Yesterday that can purchase in most island ports. The $3.95 papers are in fact pretty complete not the old NYTs one one page "recap" ;)

Another way to look at it. It is remarkable you can get a current newspaper at any price in the middle of the sea. It is much better then the USA Yesterday that can purchase in most island ports. The $3.95 papers are in fact pretty complete not the old NYTs one one page "recap" ;)

Good points and if you want to buy a US paper in Europe or Asia you will get it 2 or 3 days old (sometimes only about 24 hours) for much more than $3.95 I may add.

Fox NN does carry all us rightwinger fix which we need, but also Greta and a few others that certainly can't be classified as to the right! LOL

Actually I rather enjoy a few days without lots of news and know if something earth shaken happens we will hear about it. My DH is the one that goes into withdrawal!!! LOL

Nothing to do with cruising BUT I love to hear that I'm not the only one addicted to Fox News! I love it, it drives DH nuts!!

Lucky for me, we both agree and would love to see it on the ships. I think I am more adicted to FNN than DH though he's more adicted to news overall.

When we cruise in November there will be 3 couples, friends for over 40 years. 4 of us are the FNN type and 2 the CNN type; the election will only be 2 weeks old; should make for an interesting cruise. LOL. Seriously we will have a great time as we are all good friends and have planned on cruising together for about 3 years now. FInally are doing it. NIta

Archived