Soverign Of The Seas

Hi,

New to all this, but I have so many questions! My son is para, and we have a handicap room booked. I was wondering about the excursions. I asked but never got a good answer about things we could do at Nassau and Cocoa Cay. If anyone has helpful hints to guide us we would appreciate it. Anyone else in a wheelchair going to be on this ship Oct. 15th?

I've been to both of these places. In Nassau, I took my dad to Atlantis via taxi and pushed him in a wheelchair. It was not too bad. There is an outside elevator there which will actually put you right into the aquariums. I then went into town and pushed him through Nassau. It was very difficult as the streets are very uneven and not in great shape. Getting to Atlantis is very accessable and that is where I would recommend going regardless if someone was wheelchair bound or not. When we were on the Sovereign last year, I did not have my dad with me. At Cococay, I do not remember seeing any area that was paved but it may be paved where they serve food. I did read on another post somewhere about places renting wheelchairs that can be pushed in the sand. Maybe you could do a search and see what you pull up on this. I wish your family luck with this. You can have fun even with the limitations. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. I went to the Bahamas twice in the last year and I am getting ready to take my father on another cruise in July.

My dh is paraplegic also. We did a stop in Coco Cay last year but didn't get off the ship. We have been to labadee. The "private" islands are not wheelchair friendly as they are mainly beaches but they do have beach wheelchairs for you to use but they can be difficult to push!

As for Nassau, we will be there in October also. I have found a dolphin encounter what a person in a wheelchair can do. She advised me that my dh would be able to pet, feed, & kiss the dolphin. Here is the website if you are interested in something like this. We plan on doing this & our cruise is on Oct 1st. Let me know if you are going to plan on doing this & I will e-mail you & let you know how it goes.

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/

My DD and I went on the Sovereign in 2005 and saw the wheelchairs on Coco Cay. I noticed them because my mother was in a wheelchair for years. Anyhow, they have these giant balloon like tires to make it easier to push them in unpaved areas.... My DH and I are going in August, and are considering getting one for him (he has walking difficulties). Just thought I'd add what they look like :)

Archived