Whos' off the Mariner today? ...tell us....

YES! July 29th, are you as excited as me!!? Congrats on your 40th. What a great way to celebrate. I took a cruise for mine too!...Are you on the roll call as it is a really quiet one! Hope there will be some lively fun people on there!

Hi - I just got off the Mariner Today - Had a Great Time! This was my second time on the Mariner. We did the Eastern itinerary. The first time we did a modified eastern itinerary two years ago (because of a hurricane) - so we tried for eastern again. We had Captain Johnny and Becky as our cruise director. She was the best CD we have ever had on a cruise. This was my 8th cruise - 6th with RCL.

We had AFT cabins - 7688, 7690 and 7388 - loved loved them! No complaints at all - no soot, just enough sun & shade - would book again in a heartbeat. After having AFT, don't know if we could ever book anything other again. Didn't mind the walk at all - didn't seem far!

Weather was beautiful - in the 80's - low humidity in the islands - a few passing showers on the sea days - more rain on the last sea day - but mostly in the a.m. - but not so bad. We couldn't have asked for a better cruise.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Peggy13 - We will be doing the Eastern on Mariner in August. What excursions did you take? Approximately what time did you board, get your cabin and get your luggage? Glad you had a great time. Tell us all about it.

Hi kimark - we didn't do any RCL excursions. We did book Sunny Liston in St. Thomas. He gave us a tour for $25 pp included 2 hours shopping, tour and Sapphire Beach for 2 hours - well worth it. St. Thomas taxis are $10 pp each way - so for an extra $5 pp it was worth the tour.

In St. Maarten, we just hopped a cab for $4 pp to Divi Little Bay Resort and spent the day there - beautiful beach. The beach chairs rent for $5 pp.

Coco Cay we did nothing, but relax.

We got onboard about 12:30 - people did arrive much earlier - probably 10:30 - 11:00. We usually arrive earlier, but couldn't get there any earlier that day. Our luggage was a little late in arriving - around 5:00 or so. We had late dining so it didn't matter to us.

We met a great group of friends thru Cruise Critic onboard! Had fun at the Schooner Bar each night! Had at fun Meet & Mingle too!

Any info about the dinner menus that we've heard are to change in July? Also keep forgetting to ask about the TVs. Think I read the Mariner did not get the flat screens as rumored. Love this ship. Have 3 more booked b4 she leaves for the W. coast! TIA

Peggy13 - We will be doing the Eastern on Mariner in August. What excursions did you take? Approximately what time did you board, get your cabin and get your luggage? Glad you had a great time. Tell us all about it.

Kim,

When in August are you going?

No flat screen TVs.

All I know about the dinner menus (from what I remember from 2 years ago on the Mariner) is that the Wed menu has changed - no more Caribbean Jerk chicken. Didn't hear anything about the menus changing again in the future. We liked all the food for dinner! We ate at Chops one night - delicious! We didn't do Portofinos this time - we had eaten there before on the Voyager. Our waiters were great - their names were Mary & Joseph (too funny!) We have 3 sons and Mary called them her "3 Kings!"

Just back the 17th on the Mariner. It was our first cruise and so wonderful. The ship is in perfect condition- no wear and tear, no smells. All of the workers were so happy to see us. The new beds were very comfy with bleached white cotton comfortors. Tv's are not flat but they do the job. Room service every morning very prompt- aprx 40 and they were then in 15. always calling to let us know. We had aft 1694-beyond amazing view! My son actually slept on the balcony on an air bed. This balcony is fully covered from the sun and rain but the decks below were exposed.WE ate all dinner meals in the main dining room. A few nights the menu did not thrill me but I had plenty of choices between appetizers- my favorite being the chilled soups after a day in the sun.Two nights we had a large salad waiting family style for us- Spinach and Ceasar. Fresh and yummy.My son ate grilled chicken and french fries every night..they also made up fresh for him every night a honey mustard sauce! We were able to get a bottle of wine and have a glass each night and they saved the bottle for us until the next dinner. Tendering was very easy, we never had to wait. I do suggest you don't wait until the last hour to return.OUr weather was perfect as was Captian Johnny and of course Becky.Ourship wasvery full, however I never felt like I was sailing with over 3,000 other guests.I was also very impressed with imbarkation and debarkation. We arrived at the port about 12:30 and were on the ship by 1:15 enjoying our aft JS. We had an 8am call to disembark and waited no more than 30 and we were sadly back on land. Very organized.The only thing bothersome was the elevators on the ship. However, since they were so slow we ran alot of stairs, room on 10th level! I ended up actually loosing a few pounds not gaining. We will cruise again. It was the easiest vacation for a mom. Great for honeymooners- no fighting on directions and where to eat! OUr cruise jar is right out in the open, already being filled again. We now break into tears when we see the RCCL commercial - so sad our trip is past. YOu will have a blast!

So what night do you suggest that we make Chops reservations? I was thinking Wednesday since I believe that's when the lamb was served (do not care for lamb).

We are cruising 8/5 and can hardly wait.

They had lamb Tuesday night - that's when we ate at Chops (Eastern itin.). I think they might have had lamb on Wed. too. Tuesday was Italian Night. Most people chose either Tues or Thursday for Chops or Portofino. The ice show is Wed and Friday nights.

Peggy, I am glad to hear you had a great time on the cruise. We are scheduled to depart on July 22nd for the Eastern Caribbean. We are all anxious to experience RCCL again!!!

We will be on the 7/22 cruise too and can't wait, especially after reading what Peggy had to say! Thanks, Peggy!:)

They had lamb Tuesday night - that's when we ate at Chops (Eastern itin.). I think they might have had lamb on Wed. too. Tuesday was Italian Night. Most people chose either Tues or Thursday for Chops or Portofino. The ice show is Wed and Friday nights.

I am assuming this is Eastern? When we did Western a few weeks ago the ice show was Wed & Thur. We did Portofino on Friday which worked well for us. We did miss lobster in the dining room, but from what I've heard it was not a big deal.

I am assuming this is Eastern? When we did Western a few weeks ago the ice show was Wed & Thur. We did Portofino on Friday which worked well for us. We did miss lobster in the dining room, but from what I've heard it was not a big deal.

Yes Eastern Itinerary. Ice show Wed & Friday.

Hi Peggy

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time!!

Do you happen to remember when the C&A Welcome back party and the Platinum & Diamond get-together were??

We didn't go to either party, but I do remember the P & D party was formal night at 7:45 - that was Friday night. The C & A party might have been Wed night (not sure though).

Hello Peggy - Rich and Sylvia here!

We're glad to hear you had such a great time. Thanks for answering everyone's questions - it makes great reading while you're anticipating an upcoming cruise!

Bye for now!!

Hi Rich & Sylvia - remember we were on the same Mariner cruise in July 05 - I hear you guys are getting married next year on another Mariner cruise (the same week I just cruised) - its a great week to be in the Caribbean - perfect weather - not as hot as July - temps were in low to mid 80's - low humidity too!

Peggy13, thanks for your review.....it makes the time to wait more "bearable" with the anticipation and excitement! After the day I just had, boy! am I counting the days to relax and no work....! seems so far away still....aaargh!

Archived