One day in Vancouver

Staying at Pan Pacific Hotel for 1 day post cruise. Would also like to see the Capilano bridge and Grouse Mountain. Possible to do that easily from this hotel? Suggestions? Thanks.

You can do it fairly easily on public transit.

Walk from the Pan Pacific to your left about a block but up and around the corner (do not cross any streets) and you will come to the SEa Bus station - go in and buy your ticket for the Sea Bus - it will take you accross the harbor to Lonsdale Quay.

When you buy the ticket buy an "All Day Pass" for $8. allows you unlimited riding for the whole day.

Once at Lonsdale Quay go outside and take the Capilano Road bus which will take you to the Capilano Suspension Bridge http://www.capbridge.com and enjoy the fun.

Once you are finished having fun exploring nature at the bridge reboard the Capilano Road bus continuing up the hill and this route ends at the Grouse Mountain Airtram station - ride the tram to the top of the mountain. Herre you will enjoy a loggers show, birds of prey show, film on Vancouver, wonerful panoramic views and watch 2 grizzlie bears at play. You can eat lunch here in either a very nice restaurant or in the cafe.

When you are finished playing return to the bottom of the mountain and then reboard the city bus for your return trip tot he Pan Pacific.

An alternative to this would be taxi's or a tour.

BC - a little advice please. We will be at the Fairmont Waterfront 2 days pre cruise and will be taking the Big Bus - the red two story bus that you can hop on and hop off. If we end the day at Granville Island and want to stay later than the buses final run for the day.....tell me how we would return from there, back to the F.W. Also, when we were in beautiful Vancouver three years ago, we ate at a restaurant on G.I. called the Sand_____. Do you know the whole name. It sat overlooking the water and had wonderful food. Thanks, gg

BC - a little advice please. We will be at the Fairmont Waterfront 2 days pre cruise and will be taking the Big Bus - the red two story bus that you can hop on and hop off. If we end the day at Granville Island and want to stay later than the buses final run for the day.....tell me how we would return from there, back to the F.W. Also, when we were in beautiful Vancouver three years ago, we ate at a restaurant on G.I. called the Sand_____. Do you know the whole name. It sat overlooking the water and had wonderful food. Thanks, gg

gg3: The restaurant is mostly likely The Sandbar.

As for getting back to the Fairmont Waterfront, the easiest would be to take a taxi.

For a more scenic and fun route, you can take one of the False Creek Ferries from Granville Island to the Aquatic Centre (runs to 10:30 pm) and taxi from there to your hotel.

Ell and Dave - thank you for answering me so quickly, as you have in the past. Your replies are always to the point and you are so kind to add web sites. I have written down your advice. Where do we find the Diesel Bus #50 and do we need exact change.....if so how much ??? Is this a safe area in the evening ?? gg

Ell and Dave - thank you for answering me so quickly, as you have in the past. Your replies are always to the point and you are so kind to add web sites. I have written down your advice. Where do we find the Diesel Bus #50 and do we need exact change.....if so how much ??? Is this a safe area in the evening ?? gg

Hi gg3 = The website for the bus schedules is located at http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

go to bus route #50 Waterfront Station/False Creek South and you can get a printout of the schedule and map. It's very easy to find, just ask any local where to catch the bus when you're over on Granville Island, and they'll be glad to show you the location. Granville Island itself is very safe in the evening as is the area where your hotel is located. Enjoy!

Dave

gg3: The restaurant is mostly likely The Sandbar.

As for getting back to the Fairmont Waterfront, the easiest would be to take a taxi.

For a more scenic and fun route, you can take one of the False Creek Ferries from Granville Island to the Aquatic Centre (runs to 10:30 pm) and taxi from there to your hotel.

Ell - I do thank you for your reply. I have researched this, but still have two questions. 1. I note the ferry fee is $2.50 pp. I know this is Canadian, but do we need the exact fare ??

2. How far is the Aquatic Centre from the Fairmont Waterfront ??

gg3 --

That's the Sandbar restaurant http://www.vancouverdine.com/sandbar/home.html on Granville Island ... very nice place !! :)

To get back from Granville Island to your hotel, take the diesel bus #50 Waterfront Station and it will take you right back to the Fairmont Waterfront.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Thank you for your reply......but I have studied the bus site and am confused with it. I tried to figure out where to get on the bus and I believe it showed two locations at Granville Island, and i do not know which one is best. Also, which stop do I get off that is closer to the Fairmont Waterfront. Do you know the fee, and do we need exact change and do they take American $$$. gg

Thank you for your reply......but I have studied the bus site and am confused with it. I tried to figure out where to get on the bus and I believe it showed two locations at Granville Island, and i do not know which one is best. Also, which stop do I get off that is closer to the Fairmont Waterfront. Do you know the fee, and do we need exact change and do they take American $$$. gg

gg, the bus stop is not actually on Granville Island proper.

It is on the road out under the bridge overpass (at Anderson Street and Lameys Mill Road). You will take it on the "Westbound" side as it loops around and back over the Granville Street bridge. You get off at Canada Place which is directly across the street from your hotel.

The fare is $2.25 per adult, exact change only. No $USD. The bus drivers do not have access to cash for making change.

1. I note the ferry fee is $2.50 pp. I know this is Canadian, but do we need the exact fare ??

2. How far is the Aquatic Centre from the Fairmont Waterfront ??

You won't need exact fare for the ferry -- they will make change for you onboard. Although they might take your US funds, I wouldn't expect any exchange back. As for the distance from your hotel to the Aquatic Centre, it's approx 1-1/2 miles walk, or you can hop a bus on Burrard Street and get off before the Burrard Bridge to walk a couple blocks to Aquatic Centre. Try not to worry about any of this --- it's very easy to get around town here, the concierge in your hotel will be glad to help you out, many maps available and people are very friendly and most willing to give directions to visitors.

Dave

Ell and Dave - Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. We leave in the morning for Vancouver, flying from Dallas - Fort Worth airport. I have researched and written down all of your advice. It is wonderful when nice folk like you come on line to give people you do not even know, first hand, great advice. Y'all are wonderful !!!!!! gg

Archived