QE2 Mediterranean Cruise... any questions?

2dream4

I just returned from the 2 week Mediterranean cruise on the QE2, including a 3 day stay at the Cunard advertised hotel, with all Cunard transfers. It was great. Fire away with any questions you may have on the trip! I have been collecting data to answer any questions you may have on the cruise, or extras, including the shore excursions !

I was on this trip as well and had a fantastic time. QE2 is looking great and has certainly not gone 'downmarket' as some of us feared after the arrival of QM2. I think both the food and entertainment have improved since I travelled last year. She is well looked after. Interesting to see that some of the staff who transfered from QE2 to QM2 have now returned to QE2. This was also the last voyage for Captain Ray Heath who is retiring.

hello simwil!

It's good to hear that 'my ship' is being well cared for!

I found her to be in good condition before the re-fab, a little rust spots here and there, but nothing that made her seem like it was time to go out to pasture.

I can't wait to see my baby again!

:-D

I see we board at 12.30. Can we get anything to eat on the ship then or should we grab a bight on the way to the port?

I read the Terms and Conditions. At 6.5 it says "If the guest brings on any stage of the package any alcohol in excess of the quantity permitted for landing duty free at the point of disembarkation such alcohol shall be placed in bond aboard the vessel or other relevant means of transport during the package and returned to the guest upon arrival at the last stage of the package"

Seems a bit odd. You can keep your duty free allownce with you in the cabin - and presumably drink it. Any more and you hand it over. But once you've drunk it you can buy another duty free allowance at the next port? Anyway for UK residents there is virtually no limit to the duty free allowance for alcohol bought in the EU!

Anyway how does the policy seem to be carried out on the ship?

Much looking forward to the trip. Glad to here the ship is in good shape. I've cruised before with Cunard but not on the QE2.

I was pleased to discover that although QE2 is almost exclusively cruising nowadays she is not just chugging along. When crossing the Med from Gibraltar to Sicilly we exceeded 29 knots at times.

The cruise throught the Mediterrancean on the QE2 which ended last week was fantastic. For those that have been worrying about the air conditioning, be rest assured it is working just fine. The little alarm clock I brought with me also had a temperature setting on it, and I can assure you the temp in my room stayed a constant 70 degrees F even through the blistery heat and humidity of the Mediterranean.

I thought the ship looked much better than previous years. I was very surprised and interested in the demographics of this cruise: approx 1800 passengers ( they announced the cruise was fully booked ) and approx 1600 were from the UK ! Only 160 from the U.S ! I noticed some childen between the ages of 8 - 15 no college age or extremely young.

Don't worry about the alcohol issue ( bringing on board) ... I too brought mass quantitites of wine, with no problems! Sad to see Captain Heath leave. His wife and daughters took part with my group in our shore excursion to the Isle of Capri. a lovely family... then ran into all of them ( including Capt. Heath) in Rome at the Trevi Fountain ! Thomas is as glamourous as usual. The Sr staff did a cute skit the last afternoon at sea during the talent show. Thomas as a ballerina ina pink tu-tu and blond curly wig! THe Heritage Trail was as special as ever, with newtrinkets on the wall since my last cruise. Be wary if you are returning from Southampton to Heathrow after desembarkation. Lots of construction and traffic delays around Heathrow... I almost missed my flight ! The Cunard sponsored bus tranfer assured me we would be there in approx one hour.... try 2 hours and 15 minutes. I was beside myself scrambling through Bristish Airways. thank goodness they had a "late arrival" check in... or I would still be in line trying to get on my return flight to the US.

Food was fantastic, the pool and sun deck were a welcome reprieve to all of us after a long day of touring in the heat... and we all saw a wonderful meteor show the night we were returning and crossed through the Straights of Girbralter. THey turned off the lights on the sun deck, and at the funnel, and we sat in lounge chairs and watched the meteors. Next day was whale watching and porposies as we head back to England. sigh.... it was great!

The trip was grand; I had a sinlge on three deck, Mauretania late sitting. The only downside was that dinner took FOREVER ( 2.5 hours) but I feel that was due to our waitress who insisted on personally greeting and talking to each person assigned to her tables. She was so gracious and caring, I think she forgot we were there to eat ! I told myself I was going on the cruise to see the Mediterranean, not to eat lavishly in Priness or Queens, and the food in Mauretania did not disappoint me It was fantastic with HUGE selections! Here are some changes I have noticed since my lsat cruise:

*the menu now includes a "Fitness Spa Suggestions" for those looking for a healthy, low calorie, low fat alternative to dining...

*the air conditioning is MUCH better... could definately feel the cool air in the public areas, much improved....

* bathrooms have been upgraded... showers, shower doors and sink appear to be new ..along with the bedspread ( rememeber I have not been on the QE2 for 5 years!

*the Funnel Bar on the sun deck is fun, and new. Vincent, from Cape Town, SA has been reassigned to the Funnel bar and he is wonderful. While we were docked in Naples, ( we had a late departure at 11 pm) Cunard thought of everything. We backed the ship into naples harbor for a fantastic view of the city and Bay.. then, we had a wonderful cookout BBQ on the sun deck overlooking the Bay of Naples and the city during the evening. I would have sworn the fireworks we saw off in the distance must have been arranged by Cunard ! as it was a perfect evening to a wonderful day.

* More memoribalia on the Heritage Trail conducted by Thomas

*of course the computer center was new since my last voyage

*art auctions are new since was last voyage

* NO more paying and reserving deck chairs on the QE2! now it is first come, first served.. even with the extreme heat and beautiful weather, I never had a problem sinding a lounge chair

* new paint job, and I swear the ship looked cleaner.. looks like rugs etc had been cleaned... also new fun uniforms for the crew!

Did I forget anything anyone ???? any more questions??? ask now while it is still fresh in my mind, and while I am still numb from the excitement of just returning from 2 glorious weeks !

I was on the same cruise and am pleased to read your comments and wholeheartedly agree with them all. Particularly pleased that the air conditioning was working well as we had very hot weather. Pleased to report that service on board was excellent despite some established staff had transfered to QM2 (interesting to note that some have since returned to QE2 at their own request - one told me that he had found it difficult to get to know passengers and give the personal service he wanted to give passengers)

so sorry I did not get the chance to meet you during the cruise. Do they have a cruise critic sign in book on the QE2? I asked in the library, and bookstore, and they looked at me like I had two heads!

• 8 months later...

A med cruise this year will be my first ever. I'm trying to find out if the ships excursions to Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes & Gibralter are worth the expense or if they cn be done equally well self propelled and a lot cheaper. Any advice gratefully received.

I just returned from the 2 week Mediterranean cruise on the QE2, including a 3 day stay at the Cunard advertised hotel, with all Cunard transfers. It was great. Fire away with any questions you may have on the trip! I have been collecting data to answer any questions you may have on the cruise, or extras, including the shore excursions !

Great posts guys! I will board QE2 on May 28th for the Norwegian Fjords.

What was sailaway like? When we crossed the atlantic in December 2002, we had a muster meeting in the Queens Room. I rushed down to get my life jacket in my cabin but once on deck the ship had already moved away from the dock side and no band. What was it liek this time?

I am so happy to hear about the Mauretania food and service. Really look forward to that. What time do they start boarding and what time does the Lido open for lunch? Last time I also nearly missed out on that because they closed due the the muster.

What was the age catagory on board? The cruise I take ends in Amsterdam so I imagine there will be lots of Dutch passengers onboard too.

Reint

Oslo, Norway

Please post your review when you return. We are on the July 30th Fjords trip on the QE II and are looking forward to it so much. We sailed on the QE II in 1972 and can't wait to be on her again.

Archived