Cruises in 2005 that go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras

wwinfl91

I'm looking for information for ships that will be going to New Orleans during next year's Mardi Gras which puts Fat Tuesday on February 8th in 2005.

I believe in the past both RCCL and Carnival have done cruises which usually go into New Orleans several days prior to fat Tuesday and then leave the morning after, Ash Wednesday. That gives the passengers some time on Sunday, all day Monday and Tuesday to experience Mardi Gras while having the ship to retreat to when the crowds get too much.

Also I am interested in any information anyone can give me on where the ships dock during Carnival. I had heard that the cruise ship docks are just south of the Riverwalk but have actually never made it down to them during our visits to NO.

Thanks for any information anyone has on this topic.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

The only one I know of that comes to NO every year for Mardi Gras is one of the Carnival ships based in Galveston. There are always others: I've seen RCCL, Crystal, etc., but they seem to change every year. There are also some charters: a nudist group was aboard a Carnival ship a few years ago. They got a lot of publicity.

The cruise terminal is just south of the Riverwalk. Ships debarking from NO dock there. When there are extras, as at Mardi Gras, they usually dock just south of the terminal, and have their own boarding facilities.

There is a map at www.portno.com

On the map, the Riverwalk is just to the left of the terminal.

Thanks for the update and link to the New Orleans Port. I will be contacting my TA and ask her to keep her eyes open but I figured someone on this board might know also. We have never done a Carnival cruise but Mardi Gras might be the right time.

Thanks again and have a GREAT next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

• 4 months later...

I did the Mardi Gras Cruise in 2003 and 2004 both on Royal Carr.. I too am having trouble finding any line which is doing the same trip in 2005. Had a great time both years, but this year they had a ship sink in the river and we were sent to another port. The cruise line bussed us back and forth, 45 minutes each way. Still a wild and crazy time. If you find a ship take a look at Michauls. This is a restaurant which runs a party during that time. One price covers all you can eat and drink, and a sort of balcony for watching the parades go by. The food is traditional NO food, so you get to sample all of it and the alcohol is first class as well!!!!! lol Good luck. If you find a ship, let me know dadroy@aol.com because my TA has not had any luck on any of the lines. I'm to the point where I am getting ready to do a fly and stay in town trip, though I will miss the convenience of the ship.

Archived