snorkeling in Bermuda?

momaboyz

Hello

Our first cruise is Oct 7-12 to Bermuda. We have two boys 16 and turning 14 in Bermuda! They want to snorkel. We have a friend who went to Bermuda several times and said NOT to rent the snorkel gear because you can buy it cheaper. So we bought them each a nice set. WE are NOT flying so packing isn't a big problem. Where can they use the snorkel gear? Is there specific places that do and do not allow snorkeling? They also have underwater cameras they can't wait to use.

Any suggestions for things to do with teens that we should NOT miss while there! Again this is our first cruise so be gentle with us... LOL

rent your very own boat. the operator will point you in a good direction for a quiet (probably empty) beach and good snorkelling. lemme know what port(s) you'll be in and i'll suggest operators for you. (cc board rules)

the nearest boat rental operation is windjammer next to cambridge beaches, about a 10 min bus ride with a 10 min walk, or 5 min taxi for about $8. if you need a rental boat with a toilet then http://www.aquaticbermuda.com is your only option. they operate out of hamilton and thats a 20-35 minute ferry ride, depending on which ferry you get. free=35 mins, $=20 mins

hope this helps.

Tobacco Bay at St. George's is close to the pier (not sure where you are docking) and a close mini-van/taxi ride. Small beach but lots of rock formations where the fish hang out not too far from shore. This is walk in snorkeling so they can go in and out at will. There is also a small snack bar with restrooms.

If you're at King's Wharf there is a snorkel park very close by, just ask directions at the Visitor's Service Bureau when you get off the ship. Can't tell you what the park is like because we've never tried it, we snorkel mostly at Tobacco Bay where the fish have never disappointed us. However, you'll be at the opposite end of the island from Tobacco Bay. Someone else may have some suggestions for the western part of the island. You might also try asking on the scuba and snorkeling board for recommendations.

If you look a couple of threads down on this board some people have comments on the Dockyard snorkel park and they didn't like it.

From past experience, Tobacco can be very crowded. Horsehoe has similar snorkeling and is bigger--although also crowded on cruise days. Guidebooks recommend Church Bay

Two tour operators I have heard good things about are Jesse James and Hayward

We went to Church Bay last month - based on Fodor's recommendation. It was beautiful. Hardly anyone there, and we saw beautiful fish and coral. We highly recommend Church Bay. It is right on the bus line in the area near Horseshoe Bay. Your sons will love it.

Just got back from Bermuda last week and had a great time. We walked to Tobacco Beach around 9am and it was not very crowded at that time. I don't know the names of the fish, but there were many large, colorful fish and schools of the little blue&yellow ones! We brought our own snorkel equipment (just mask and snorkel, no fins). We also snorkeled at Horseshoe bay. Not as many fish, but the beaches there are beautiful. Have fun!

I agree with a previous poster who said it wasn't crowded in the morning, that's the time we always try to go. I think what you need to know about crowds is the beach itself gets crowded as people go there just to sun and don't seem to know about St. Catherine Beach which is very close by and much better for sunning.

If you can't get there early, there's still plenty of room in the water to explore. As someone else said, it's a "walk in" type of place, therefore there are a lot of people not actually snorkeling, just looking at the fish as they walk around. However, you can swim out into deeper water and even go into the open ocean if you like.

I'm trying to attach a picture that will give you an idea of what it looks like. Hopefully my file isn't too big. The area to the far left is where people walk around, to the right is much deeper water where alot of the fish will come out of hiding and to the far right is the open ocean.

Click on the thumbnail and it will come up larger.

IMG_0608.jpg.ac6151d84d69a423ddef303f3a5c8e07.jpg

Thanks everyone!

The boys really loved the picture "Iheartbda"!

My youngest was so excited... he can't wait!

He'll be turning 14 in Bermuda!!!

If you decide to go to Tobacco Bay, I would suggest the boys have aqua socks, the cheapest you can find will do. There are large rock formations under the water there that you can stand on but are quite slippery. Sometimes I just stand on the rocks for awhile and wait with just my head in the water. Fish always seem to come out of hiding as there are lots of nooks and crannies for them. Also the water is very bouyant so you can just sort of lie in the water and look around. We don't bother with fins, never seemed to need them, less to pack.

All in all, I think TB is a good place for your boys as it's a relatively confined area. If you don't go in with them, they are easy to keep track of and you can even watch them form the vantage point where I took the pic, you'll understand if you go there.

Have a great time in Bermuda and hope to hear about it when you get back. We'll be going in Oct. the week after you.

hey momaboyz keep in mind tobacco bay is at the opposite end of the island from where you are at kings wharf, dockyard. to get to tb, get on the ferry to st georges. click on ferry schedule 2007 2008 on the left side of this page http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=283&PageID=0

you are lookin to get on the ORANGE ROUTE ferry. once in st georges its a 20 min scenic walk to tobacco bay or a 5 minute $8 taxi

Archived