Norwegian Star or Golden Princess to Alaska in Sept.

Eldemila

Greetings all:) Newbie here with a couple questions...:confused:

We have been given 2 choices for a cruise to Alaska leaving in September, either the Norwegian Star or the Golden Princess. We were first given the option of the NS but I asked if Princess had anything since I heard it was a good line to sail through Alaska. Now we have to make a decision in the next day or two. I really don't know much about either line.

I was wondering if anyone who may have sailed on either or both ships could give me their opinion/review of what they thought, and if you've sailed on both, which you preferred, and why?

We are thinking about a cabin with a balcony - from a little bit of reading I was able to see it seems many cabins have balconys on the Princess??

Dress codes - I'm VERY informal and really, I don't like dressing up - how dressy do you have to get? I was excited about this trip until I thought about the dressing up part!

Itineraries - any input on how similar ports are between ships? Should I look for somethign in particular when comparing stops, like how long in certain ports? What there is to do when you disembark? What side trips there may be?

Sept 8th - suggested clothing for this time there? Coming from Florida, we don't have much in the way of winter so hoping I can get away with what we've got -hat, gloves, etc. necessary?

Has anyone stayed in Seattle a couple days before or after going on the ship - worth doing? Hubby's been, I've never been. Easy to get to the port from downtown Seattle?

In all honesty, we are not cruising people and this will be our first cruise together (I've cruised twice before in my life, long, long ago). We always wanted to go to Alaska and thought it would never happen. Now we have the opportunity, hubby won a trip to anywhere in N. America and we've chosen to go this route since everything will be included. A corporate travel company has to do all the reservations and bookings (much to my chagrin) so they've been providing information.

Is there any questions you suggest I ask before deciding which one to book?

I really appreciate any and all input you may have to give.

Thanks all!!!:D

you may want to ask these guestions on the alaska port-of-call board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

i can answer some of your questions. i did the NCL star last sept...loved the ship. we had a balcony room and used it. dress on NCL is very casual, never had to pack a jacket or tie for him, dress for me. loved that fact.

the picture i use as a avatar is from "formal" night on NCL..it's very casual.

it can rain up there at any time, but in sept be prepare. layers...t-shirts and sweat shirt with waterproof jacket. day time temps ranged from 40s to high 60s.

all the ports have websites with links to local vendors for tours.

go over to the alaska board and read a few pages, some of your questions could get answered before you ask it.

If you don't want to dress up, definately go with NCL. We just got back from Alaska on the SUN. I wore jeans all the time...to dinner, to the shows, etc. No problem.

Also check out my post on the NCL forum of this board, asking for comparisons of NCL and Princess. Here's a link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=582625

I think you may really like the more casual atmosphere on the NCL Star. The Golden Princess will be more formal, but the food and entertainment will be better in my opinion. You will have a great time, either way. I did the Alaska cruise in August 2002, from Vancouver to Ancorage.

Thanks for the info.

I printed out inteneraries for a side-by-side comparison, and if I'm reading it correctly it appears the Princess cruise gives you more time at the ports?

I checked on the NCL website and it seems they've sold out of the balcony suites. There's another NCL Alaska cruise on that leaves on a Monday instead of a Sunday that I may have to make an option if this is true, should we decide against the Princess.

Between the two, I'd choose Princess and my OH says NCL and neither of us really know the difference, just what we've heard others tell us.

Need to make a decision quickly, but hate doing so without more info.

We have been given 2 choices for a cruise to Alaska leaving in September, either the Norwegian Star or the Golden Princess. We were first given the option of the NS but I asked if Princess had anything since I heard it was a good line to sail through Alaska. Now we have to make a decision in the next day or two. I really don't know much about either line.

I was wondering if anyone who may have sailed on either or both ships could give me their opinion/review of what they thought, and if you've sailed on both, which you preferred, and why?

We are thinking about a cabin with a balcony - from a little bit of reading I was able to see it seems many cabins have balconys on the Princess??

Dress codes - I'm VERY informal and really, I don't like dressing up - how dressy do you have to get? I was excited about this trip until I thought about the dressing up part!

Itineraries - any input on how similar ports are between ships? Should I look for somethign in particular when comparing stops, like how long in certain ports? What there is to do when you disembark? What side trips there may be?

Sept 8th - suggested clothing for this time there? Coming from Florida, we don't have much in the way of winter so hoping I can get away with what we've got -hat, gloves, etc. necessary?

Has anyone stayed in Seattle a couple days before or after going on the ship - worth doing? Hubby's been, I've never been. Easy to get to the port from downtown Seattle?

In all honesty, we are not cruising people and this will be our first cruise together (I've cruised twice before in my life, long, long ago). We always wanted to go to Alaska and thought it would never happen. Now we have the opportunity, hubby won a trip to anywhere in N. America and we've chosen to go this route since everything will be included. A corporate travel company has to do all the reservations and bookings (much to my chagrin) so they've been providing information.

Thanks all!!!:D

When we sailed the inside passage it was on the Star Princess and we loved it - Alaska is just beautiful and I know you will enjoy it. We also cruised the first week or so in September.

I'd take the Golden Princess for this cruise ...... we sailed on her to the British Isles as we really like the Grand class ships. The one thing I would recommend is getting a balcony - a mini-suite is even better, but minimum balcony - try to get on on the Caribe Deck (bigger balconies).

We've also sailed on Norwegian, but it's been a few years. From the reviews I've read, their food is not as good as Princess - AND Princess has anytime personal choice dining which is a real deal-breaker for me as I like to dine at a time of my choosing.

We don't do "formal night" anymore because I don't like to get dressed up either and I don't want to lug extra clothes for a trip. On those evenings we just ate at the buffet or ordered room service.

I'm originally from Florida - grew up in Fort Lauderdale, so know what you mean about having the appropriate clothing. Just think "layering" - I never wore more than a turtleneck, maybe a sweatshirt and a windbreaker. I was never chilly anywhere and this is the type of clothing I wore when we took a helicoper to the top of the glacier out of Skagway or went whale watching in Juneau! It can be rainy, so take an inexpensive poncho.

Whatever you decide - congrats on the trip and enjoy "The Last Frontier"! :)

All depends on what you are really looking for: the advantage of NCL is the relaxed atmosphere and freestyle dining plus choices as to where and when you eat. Some say Princess has better food, others will argue that.

Normally entertainment on NCL gets great reviews but not as much so in the past few years.

Cabin size will be about the same.

Princess is a little more subdued without as much night time activities, but sailing Alaska is like Hawaii: it is so port intensive you may be too tired at night to care about the nightlife.

probably either one would be ok. Princess is noted for doing Alaska right, but that is mainly if you combine a land and sea cruise. NCL does a good job as well, without the land part. If the itineraries are similar I would go with the least expensive. There just isn't enough difference in the lines.

Nita

Archived