Best trip insurance??

luv2cruise5

I am looking for travel ins. that would cover pre-existing medical and or any reason cancel policies. We have a group planned for March 08 and FIL is having alot of medical problems now, I dont usually get ins.(I know I should) but I am thinking I would rather be safe then sorry on his. Since I am paying. I would atleast like to be able to get my money back to send him another time. Oh by the way, no major medical prob. I just want to be prepared. Travel guard???

I am looking for travel ins. that would cover pre-existing medical and or any reason cancel policies. We have a group planned for March 08 and FIL is having alot of medical problems now, I dont usually get ins.(I know I should) but I am thinking I would rather be safe then sorry on his. Since I am paying. I would atleast like to be able to get my money back to send him another time. Oh by the way, no major medical prob. I just want to be prepared. Travel guard???

For cancel for any reason coverage you can try:

Global Alert: http://www.globalalerttravel.net

Travel Safe: http://www.travelsafe.com

All of the other major plans will cover pre-existing conditions if you meet certain conditions including buying the policy in a certain time frame -- most require the purchase to be within 7 to 21 days of making the initial trip deposit. A couple let you wait until the final payment date.

Given you FIL's medical situation, before you buy any policy for him you should call the insurer and carefully review his situation with them to make sure you're OK. With many plans, the pre-existing condition coverage isn't 100% absolute as there are exceptions which may apply in your case. For example, this is from Travelex:

"If You have purchased a program where pre-existing conditions are waived, the Company covers these pre-existing conditions provided:

1) The protection plan was purchased within twenty-one (21) calendar days of the initial Covered Trip payment;

2) On the date of purchase of the protection plan, You were Medically Fit;

3) You had not filed a claim for Trip Cancellation/Interruption due to sickness or injury within 90 days prior to the purchase of the protection plan;

4) You do not have a sickness excluded by General Exclusions "m)" and "n)"; "

General exclusions m) and n) are:

"m) relating to a diagnosed Sickness from which no recovery is expected and for which only palliative treatment is provided and which carries a prognosis of death within 12 months of the policy Effective Date [purchase date];

n) resulting from non-physical Sickness such as mental, nervous, emotional or personality disorders in any form whatsoever unless the affected person is hospitalized for 3 consecutive days or more after the certificate Effective Date [purchase date];"

As you can see, depending on the plan you choose you may need to take into account much more that just buying the policy within a certain time frame. Call the insurer and discuss the details with them so you don't buy a plan that doesn't suit your needs.

Archived