Great Music on the Island Princess

antediluvian

Anyone else enjoy the music aboard the ships? My wife and I recently sailed on the Island Princess May 28 to June 11 this year (back to back cruise). We really enjoyed the work of the many musicians who performed throughout the voyage. There was an unusual trio that played guitar, violin, and accordion in an amazingly wide variety of styles. But my favorite group was The Bruce Gordon Trio. These guys performed every night at the Bayou Cafe and gave us all some first rate jazz. Bruce's vocal style is simply his own. I do not think he is trying to sound like anybody else, and he certainly does not need to. His pianist, Matt Dawson is really worth hearing. Phil Schinbein rounds out the group on the drums. Absolutely great music!

What music have other cruisers enjoyed aboard ship?

Anyone else enjoy the music aboard the ships? My wife and I recently sailed on the Island Princess May 28 to June 11 this year (back to back cruise). We really enjoyed the work of the many musicians who performed throughout the voyage. There was an unusual trio that played guitar, violin, and accordion in an amazingly wide variety of styles. But my favorite group was The Bruce Gordon Trio. These guys performed every night at the Bayou Cafe and gave us all some first rate jazz. Bruce's vocal style is simply his own. I do not think he is trying to sound like anybody else, and he certainly does not need to. His pianist, Matt Dawson is really worth hearing. Phil Schinbein rounds out the group on the drums. Absolutely great music!

What music have other cruisers enjoyed aboard ship?

We met the Bruce Gordon Trio last September on the Diamond Princess. Excellent trio. We have remained friends with Bruce & Matt (the drummer is new this year) and I speak with Bruce about once a month. I will pass on your compliments. Going to spend two weeks on the Island in Sept.

Shelley

We were on the April 26 Hawaiian sailing of the Island Princess. Our favorite musicians were Jana and Danny who were performing in the Wheelhouse Bar. We have been fortunate to have sailed with them many times on previous cruises. They are fantastic and always draw a huge crowd. Any kind of music, they can play from 19th century up to the present. They both sing, play the sax and keyboard; Jana the guitar and bongos and Danny can tickle those piano keys unlike any other. What he can do with the sax can put Benny Hill to shame. Jana's voice and range is just unbelievable. They left the Island sometime at the end of May. Would love to know when they will be back on ship.

Archived