Savings Tip #3

Hi We just booked with Godfrey tours For St Thomas. $20 pp and he picks you up at the ship, takes you into town for shopping, then a 2hr tour of the island highlights, then to one of 3 beaches for 2hr, then back to ship. I have only read good reviews on these boards about him and we pay at the end of the trip. You choose open air safari bus or limo. 15 of us we're on the bus and he made accomodations for us coming into port late. We'll do a short shopping trip at the end of the day. His web site www.Godfreytoursvi.com he was also quick about answering my e-mails

Have fun enjoy your trip and post back about your tours, we go in Nov. Pat

Hi We just booked with Godfrey tours For St Thomas. $20 pp and he picks you up at the ship, takes you into town for shopping, then a 2hr tour of the island highlights, then to one of 3 beaches for 2hr, then back to ship. I have only read good reviews on these boards about him and we pay at the end of the trip. You choose open air safari bus or limo. 15 of us we're on the bus and he made accommodations for us coming into port late. We'll do a short shopping trip at the end of the day. His web site www.Godfreytoursvi.com he was also quick about answering my e-mails

We've used Godfrey twice and have recommended him to everyone. His vehicles are newer and in great shape. He's very knowledgeable and will give you a great tour :) ... Bombero

Since St. Thomas is probably the most visited cruise port in the Caribbean, I would feel fine dealing with a local tour vendor. As another person mentioned, these people know the cruise schedules better than you do.

Your cruiseline probably offers some type of "Best of" tour which lasts 2.5 to 3 hours for around $35. When you get off the ship (or the tender) there will be several vendors there holding up signs offering to take you on a similar tour, with the same sights, which probably lasts a little longer and costs a little less.

I would not hesitate at all to take a 1/2 day tour, if I left in the morning. That way I would not worry about getting back to the ship on time, since my tour would be over a good 3-5 hours before the ship sails. In case something did happen along the way, and the tour vehicle broke down for example, you'd have enough time to get yourself back to the ship.

Always take your daily schedule of activities from the ship with you. It will contain an emergency phone number to use while at the port in case of emergency. If there was a mishap, you could call the emergency number and let the cruiseline know. Perhaps they would hold the ship for you, or at least be able to advise you on what to do.

Not to worry... Godfrey's people all have cell phones, perhaps you've heard of them.. Anyway, if anything happens, he'll have another vehicle there in no time to wisk you off to your next destination... That Godfrey is quite a business guy... bombero

Not to worry... Godfrey's people all have cell phones, perhaps you've heard of them.. Anyway, if anything happens, he'll have another vehicle there in no time to wisk you off to your next destination... That Godfrey is quite a business guy... bombero

Thanks Bombero For confirming my good feelings about Godfrey. All I have read on these boards about him has been good. And as I aid he has been accomodating in all that I've asked. We Can't wait Thanks again Pat

This topic always amuses me. Folks will search on line agencies for hours looking for prices, price drops, they will pack an entire bar, two outfits a day, 2 kinds of duct tape, 10 pair of shoes and complain about internet time, lack of more than two banana's in their fruit basket, fret over a twenty dollar cab ride and then on top of all that frugality, refrain from using local excursion operators and save some serious money. These excursion people are in business, their islands are small. The good operators weed out the bad.

If you are lacking in horse sense, you will screw up somewhere besides the excursions, so if you feel you can't read a clock, a travel guide or use a phone or computer, then only book with the cruise lines on everything. I wouldn't want to miss my ship, but the next port is just a ferry or seaplane ride away in the Caribbean.

P.S. Another reason for so many persons staunchly pushing the cruise tours could be that a fair number of the posters on this or the other cruise chats are part time or full time agents.

Bombero: Will they hold the ship if your independent tour is late returning?

Well this is where John Heald said it best:

Make sure you bring along your camera so you can shoot pics of the ship leaving as you are running down the pier late! LOL

I have always booked independent tours and have never once been late. I can remember our last cruise on the Inspiration where we waited and never left at 7pm as scheduled. Well, we went up and watched to see why and lo and behold some guy was being driven in a golf cart (this was Costa Maya port) down the pier really fast. Hubby had a video camera and zoomed in and he said an officer came out to get him and literally yelled at him for holding up the ship (it was about 7:30pm) and the guy got off the golf cart stumbling and the officer had to help him down the gangway. Seems he had alittle too much booze!

It's up to the captain if he'll wait or not. I just wouldn't take any chances on a trip that didn't come back like 2 hrs prior to boarding. ALl the independent tours we've been on the tour guides are very knowledgable on when the last tenders are and make it a point to get you back in time. I can remember in Belize the guy made sure we were back 30 mins prior to the last tender cause we had an hour or so drive from the cave tubing.

Dear CruisinTwinsMom,

In answer to your post about wether travel agents get a cut of the cruise line sponsored shore excursions, I will say no. Some agents I have spoken with have told me that agent marketing organizations have asked the cruise lines for years to cut them in on the profits if they can book a client's excursions during a certain time period in the booking process. To date, it is my understanding that cruise lines do not pay any commissions on excursions to agents. I do not know if that is always the case. I am not an agent and not involved with any cruise or travel companies. The reason I made the remark in the earlier post is because many agents believe what is good for the cruise lines is good for them also. They will push cruise furnished air, transfers and pre cruise and post cruise hotels, and have horror stories to give as proof you should use only cruise provided services. It is just my opinion, but if you are smart enough to be looking on internet chats for referrals and information, you are smart enough to book your own excursions. You will pad your times and set a port schedule just the same as a busy day or weekend jaunt in your home town. Don't let all those abbreviations after an agents name fool you. Most can be had for a check. Ask an agent about their travels and where they have been and what they have done and seen. The good ones are very helpful and know their stuff, but two or three discount cruises do not make authorities of the rest.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the TAs got anything for them, but you never know. So far my agent has been correct on what to do about airfares. Twice I booked through the line--couldn't find it any cheaper myself, and once on my own, when I booked 4 of us for the price of one of us through the cruiseline.

RennFann - just remember that just because a cruiseline excursion says it leaves at 8:00 a.m. - that doesn't mean you will be at the resort by 8:00 a.m. Often times by the time you meet everyone, walk down to the pier, make sure everyone is there, board the bus for your destination - an hour or more can pass. So, you aren't always gaining extra time.

I know that everyone has had different experiences booking independently vs the cruise line, but like people said in previous posts, you have to book what you are comfortable with.

Our experience has been that if we do our research ahead of time, (look on the ports of call section of this website for great suggestions!), and we book ahead of time directly through the vendors, we always get a better tour, and a better price. In fact, the last time we went to the Caymans, we were concerned that we would miss our shore excursion because there was an issue on our ship where they weren't letting passengers off for almost two hours. We were watching all of these other ships unloading their passengers and we were helpless to do anything about it. We finally were able to get off the ship and when we went to our "meeting" point for our independent tour, the tour bus and guide were waiting for us! It seemed that several people who were signed up for that tour were from our boat, so they just waited on us. We ended up having a great time and everything worked out. Like others have said above, most of the independent tours have to rely on the ship passengers for their living, and they know the arrival and departure schedules better than anyone.

On our last cruise, we got a cab/van once we got off the ship to take us on short tours. In your experiences, it is possible to book 'on the spot' rather than in advance? We will be doing the Mexican Riviera,

In general, all our tours are booked after we get off the ship. There are dozens of good independent vendors who will give you the same tours as the ship offers for about half the price.. As an adult, be frugal and ask questions, so you will know what you are getting.. One important question is, "Can we pay you when you return us to the ship, or drop us off down town?" We've used them about 2 dozen times now, without a hitch.... Bombero

• 1 month later...

We don't generally book the ship's tours because we have a small child and therefore need flexibility.

In Skagway, if you walk downtown there is a National Historical Park center where you can meet for a free historical walking tour of downtown with a National Park Ranger. In Juneau, right where you get off, you can catch a bus to the glacier that includes a narrated tour of Juneau by a Tlingit Indian. We paid $5 per person for that. The bus runs every half hour, so they drop you off at a visitor's center with bathroom etc. and you can hike or explore all you like and catch the bus back when it suits you. In Haines, many of the things that are on the ship's tour of Hanes (like the Eagle preserve) are a VERY short walk from the ship.

One other thing to know - there are stores in Alaska for forgotten medicines, sodas etc., but these are quite expensive.

CAD

Archived