Albergo del Senato or Sofitel in Rome?

Has anyone stayed at either the Sofitel or Albergo del Senato in Rome? Both are highly rated on Trip Advisor. Albergo is next to the Pantheon and I believe the Sofitel is close to the Spanish steps.

Marty

Has anyone stayed at either the Sofitel or Albergo del Senato in Rome? Both are highly rated on Trip Advisor. Albergo is next to the Pantheon and I believe the Sofitel is close to the Spanish steps.

Marty

I have friends who go to Rome very often who used to stay at the Albergo del Santo all the time and loved it...they rent apt's now.Great area...I like it better than near the SS's.

Albergo del Senato is my favorite hotel in Rome. I haven't stayed at the Sofitel but have stayed at the top of the Spanish steps, and I much prefer the location near the Pantheon. It's more centrally located and has lots of options for evening, both around the Pantheon and at nearby Piazza Navona.

The hotel itself is great -- be sure to ask for a Pantheon view. We had a room with a small terrace that looked out at the Pantheon, and there was nothing more magical than sitting there in the evening, enjoying a glass of wine before dinner and looking at the Pantheon as the sun was setting.

I do not know Albergo de Senato, but we stayed with three couples for five nights at the Sofitel, and I must say, this hotel is top-notch.

It is officially rated 4 stars, but everything (except the rates) is on five-star-level. The rooms are fantastic, rather spacious for Rome, and brilliantly decorated and furnished. The bathrooms are bright modern and full of luxury. Roger & Gallet toiletries etc. Of course, you have a second room service in the evening, with little goodies for the night. Everybody is extremely friendly and helpful here, at the reception, the doormen etc. They provide a shuttle service fro and to the airport.

The hotel is located in a quiet and elegant neighborhood, with views into the park of Villa Borghese, and close to the Spanish Steps as well as to Via Veneto (the neighborhood where the Italians dine).

The weak point: The hotel's restaurant is okay, but not special. But in the neighborhood, you find wonderful restaurants. (We had a perfect and inexpensive meal at Tempio del Baccho, just 100 meters from the Sofitel.)

Thanks about the Sofitel. I signed up for their frequent traveler card which offers several perks. I did that last year at the H10 Raco del Pi in Barcelona and got some extra goodies there as well. The rate I booked at the Alberto was 335 euros (which they reduced from 390! ouch!!!). I'll have to see how much less the Sofitel come in at and decide. The frequent card gives me a double at a single price. Glad to hear they are both top notch.

How far a walk is it from the Spanish Steps to the Pantheon? Is it possible to walk from the Spanish Steps to Trastevere or should we take a taxi?

Thanks,

Marty

How far a walk is it from the Spanish Steps to the Pantheon? Is it possible to walk from the Spanish Steps to Trastevere or should we take a taxi?

Thanks,

Marty

It's about 15/20 minutes..much closer from the Albergo though(right across the piazza.)Yes, you can walk to the Trastevere from the SS's,but you may want to take a cab depending on where you are going...up to you.If you have a good city map you really can walk to any place as it is easy to get around.Streetwise are good.The Sofitel by Rome standards will be more modern than the Albergo just so you know,but if you want Italian and location than the Albergo would be the way to go.It used to be half of what they are asking now just about 4 years ago.Good hot;es city center do run $$$$.Enjoy your stay no matter which you choose.

Both of these hotels look lovely, but they are way beyond my income. I'm looking for under $200 per night, but if the dollar keeps diving, may have to raise that amount to $250 but I'll cancel the trip before I pay $300-400 per night for a simple hotel room. The 12 night cruise cost me $2000 pp, I'm not paying that for 2 nights Rome/2 nights Venice.

I've found a nice hotel (Atahotel Villa Pamphili) about 3 km from the Vatican that was $208 in June and now is up to $265. I'm praying that it drops back down to around the $208 mark before Oct '08. They have a courtesy shuttle to/from the airport and to/from the Vatican so that will save on transfers. I plan to take their shuttle to the Vatican then do the HoHo bus from the Vatican on around Rome.

We want to see Rome, not buy it!

If you want Italian and location than the Albergo would be the way to go.It used to be half of what they are asking now just about 4 years ago.Good hot;es city center do run $$$$.Enjoy your stay no matter which you choose.

Heck, it was a lot cheaper even a year ago! However, as the commercial says....."A rooftop bar overlooking the Pantheon....priceless." :)

You can easily walk to Trastevere from the Pantheon. You can do it from the SS too, but I probably wouldn't want to if you're talking about dinner after a long day of sightseeing!

Thanks about the Sofitel. I signed up for their frequent traveler card which offers several perks. I did that last year at the H10 Raco del Pi in Barcelona and got some extra goodies there as well.

Did you like Raco del Pi? I stayed there a couple of years ago. I was traveling alone and think I had the world's tiniest room -- but loved the surroundings and the rate was good!

Practically everything is walkable in Rome - and you HAVE to walk to explore the city.

From the SOFITEL, you can take the underground train (Spagna or Barberini) to reach the more remote destinations like Vaticano and Colloseo within minutes.

You need a map - you find complimentary maps in your hotel.

For planning, you can use hundreds of online-maps in the internet.

http://www.romestate.it/city_map.php

http://www.hot-maps.de/europe/italy/rome/homede.html

http://www.romanhomes.com/map/index.htm

Raco del Pi in Barca was good....location excellent.

Yes....Rome rates have gone up tremendously. For the Sofitel I joined the loyalty club which gives a double for a single rate. If it is much less than the Albergo I'll consider it.....you are right.....views of the Pantheon at night are priceless.

Thanks everyone

Marty

Archived