Camp Carnival in port

Vacple30

We just booked a cruise aboard the Freedom in Dec 07. We are taking our 7 yr old daughter and this will be her first cruise. This cruise has a 5pm-12am port of call in San Juan, PR. Do any of the current eastern Caribbean ships itineraries have this late port of call in San Juan? I wouldn't think there would be many excursions or places to visit this late in the evening for kids? We are had thought we might just leave her on board the ship at Camp Carnival for a few hours and us go to a nightclub. Does Camp Carnival operate while in port? We are also concerned about being off the ship from her, if something was to happen and the little one needed us. I had heard they would provide pagers while we were on board, but I doubt these would be provided if we left the ship. Would Carnival have anyway to contact us in port?

Again, this is our first cruise with a child and we would appreciate any suggestions or feedbacks?

This cruise has a 5pm-12am port of call in San Juan, PR. Do any of the current eastern Caribbean ships itineraries have this late port of call in San Juan?

Most in fact do.

Check the P.R. excursion board for ideas on what to do.

CC may adjust their in port program times for SJ. I suggest you contact Guest Relations at Carnival for info.

Granted, it wasn't until midnight, but last year my 7yo didn't want to get off in Costa Maya -- she was having such a great time in Camp Carnival. I hesitated since I was unsure about leaving her on board while we were in port, but ended up leaving her where she was having fun -- and have no regrets. We did give our cell phone number for an emergency, which wasn't needed. And yes, I did check with the cell phone carrier PRIOR to leaving to ensure it worked outside the USA. I'm sure camp carnival has babysitting charges if you wanted to stay beyond 10:00pm and could do something similar.

IMO that's the only reason to take a cell phone with you on vacation -- so they can contact you in an emergency.

We have been in several "late night" ports where we left our little ones in Camp Carnival. We never gave it a second thought, although we never wandered very far, and certainly never took any excursions beyond what the ship offered.

The pagers they had did not reach that far, and way back then (2 years ago) they did not offer cell communication.

We will be in SJ in 4 long weeks and we plan on leaving the kids on the ship once again for some quality adult time. I'll be the one in Senor Frogs with the lamp shade on. :o

Archived