Parents need to take control of there kids!!

Thumpr

I learned that raiseing a child into a good and decent person is the most important job in the world.

Wow...I completely understand...but it's amazing how your words are completely the same as my mothers' !

My parents had me when they were 20 and 19... ( Now 53 and 52)Till this point I can't find the parents who would give ALL their time to their kids like mine did. (I am sure they exist, just hadn't meet them yet)

As long as I can remember my parents were doing something with me/for me. If we rode a bus or subway we had to solve some mathematical sharades. I had schedule for every hour after my kindergarten. (One hour we read, another we painted, etc.) We lived in the middle of the continent (10-12 hours to the sea on the sleeping train), they would schedule their vacations so one of them could spend one month with me there and another another month (so I wouldn't spend summer in the city and they can spend quality time with me). Almost the same they did with my younger sister.

Now pressure is on me...I am trying. It's not always easy, but when your parents set high standards you gotta follow them.;)

By the way.. (and here I have to disagree!!!) My mother thinks that cruises are more for us and we have to do something specially for Mike .

(She took him to the Universal Studios, Epcot and Canaveral for example.)

Funny, it seems that the parents of brats must be illiterate- I have never seen a post from anyone saying, "I let my kid do whatever he wants because I feel like it". In short, everyone thinks their kid is perfect, it's everyone else who is the problem.

My son is not an angel too...Kids can't be, but there are places and times where they can run, scream and let their energy out etc. (for example sports ;) )

Cruise isn't a prison. There is time in ports when kids can run and scream on the beach. I am not sure but I think there are places on the ship where kids can have their "kids" time too.

Funny, it seems that the parents of brats must be illiterate- I have never seen a post from anyone saying, "I let my kid do whatever he wants because I feel like it". In short, everyone thinks their kid is perfect, it's everyone else who is the problem.

Oh, believe me - they're here! I've seen many posts by parents saying they don't care what the rules are, if their precious child wants to swim in the Aft pool during the adult swim times - he will! Also, they don't care if the child is not potty trained - he's wearing a swim diaper - so the rest of us that have a problem with, well, I've seen the attitude, "it's our vacation, we paid for it and we'll do whatever we want"!

They don't seem to be posting much lately - but they are out there :)

Conceding that all the CC posters kids are well-behaved (and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were) we must also assume that not all the parents of badly mannered and wild kids are going to control them. So what then.

I think it's the ship's job to see to it that not only are safety concerns re unsupervised children/teenagers addressed, but that the vacations of all the other pax on the ship are not ruined by these hellions. This has been my big gripe and the big reason we won't cruise the Caribbean in the summer or during school holidays. I think the cruiseline has an equal, or maybe even bigger, responsibility to see to it that the ship be just as enjoyable for all the pax as it would be if these families were not aboard. Too bad if these families get mad and won't sail HAL again if they are made to look after their kids. Maybe we won't sail HAL again if the rules and a civil ambience are not maintained on the ships.

It won't take much on these 7 day Caribbean cruises to turn the Vista ships into another Carnival. :(

My mother thinks that cruises are more for us and we have to do something specially for Mike. (She took him to the Universal Studios, Epcot and Canaveral for example.)
Would she like another grandson, albeit one who is older than she is??? :D I love those places!!

ekerr: I would have like to asked those parents to have paid for my trip then. Why do they feel that becasue they are on vacation they don't have to take care of their children.

I did not blame HAL for not enforcing the rules I blame the parents for being so ignorant to others around them. How would an adult feel if I just decided to pee in the pool.....*LOL* I bet that would not be accepted, so why are diapers??

Would she like another grandson, albeit one who is older than she is??? :D I love those places!!

Don't know about more grandkids (although she would love them) but she is always looking for new friends.

I am trying to convince her to take a cruise... I'll let you know and you can plan accordingly.;)

Tatka,

What your parents did for you was wonderful and it paid off because you learned from them and are appling those same principles to your son.

My parents were they same way. I tease that they were Joan and Bing *LOL* but they were strict. But they were also very loving and did spend a great deal of quality time with us despite both of them working very long hours. We never wanted for any creature comfort, went on many wonderful trips.

You are so right about your parents setting the standard for you being a parent. Although I would never be able to fill my parents shoes, I did the best I could and thank God it worked.

Ya know its funny my Mom is similar to yours in a way. She always says as good as parents as you are and as much as you do for your kids, you must always set a little time for yourself as a couple. Get away or have a night or weekend without the kids. GF and I are also raiseing her 6 year old son so its kind of like starting all over with a boy now *LOL*.

I can't be the total last word with him like I was with mine, but he is a good boy and he is learning :)

Its a pretty big accomplishment to raise a good kid these days

You're right the parents set the standards and today the parents DON'T discipline their children and they turn their cheeks at the bad behavior. Then they defend it by accusing people of being "child haters". I raised three of my own and I am sick to death of paying good money in restaurants, cruises, airplanes, etc. to have my experience ruined by parents allowing their children to do what they want. My kids were not raised to run around tables in Dining Rooms, kick the back of seats on airplanes, screech and stand on chairs in restaurants, etc. They were raised to be aware of their behavior and have consideration for other people. Something parents are not doing today. Unfortunately, if the parents really cared about their children they would discipline them because obnoxious kids grow up to be obnoxious adults and very unlikeable!!!

I disagree with the poster with regards to planes. I have been on several flights with a "seat kicker" behind me, a child playing with the tray, children running thru the aircraft, etc. and not a word said by the parents or the flight attendants. The reason the cruise lines, restaurants, flight attendants don't say anything is they don't want to "offend". They are instructed by Management NOT to say anything. I know this for a fact.

We were on the Glory the end of April and there were three girls, ages 8 - 12, literally running thru the Dining Room every night. Not one word said by either the parents or the staff. The girls bumped into passengers' chairs while they were eating and they almost collided with a server with a tray of hot soup. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Several passengers complained to their own wait staff and they just shook their head but not a word said.

I always make a comment on the cards and have sent emails. Maybe when enough people complain Management will start caring about all of us who have to tolerate it. Our cruises cost us a lot of money. We drink, gamble, spend it in the shops, shore tours, etc. and have a right to enjoy our vacation!

You're right the parents set the standards and today the parents DON'T discipline their children and they turn their cheeks at the bad behavior. Then they defend it by accusing people of being "child haters". I raised three of my own and I am sick to death of paying good money in restaurants, cruises, airplanes, etc. to have my experience ruined by parents allowing their children to do what they want. My kids were not raised to run around tables in Dining Rooms, kick the back of seats on airplanes, screech and stand on chairs in restaurants, etc. They were raised to be aware of their behavior and have consideration for other people. Something parents are not doing today. Unfortunately, if the parents really cared about their children they would discipline them because obnoxious kids grow up to be obnoxious adults and very unlikeable!!!

I disagree with the poster with regards to planes. I have been on several flights with a "seat kicker" behind me, a child playing with the tray, children running thru the aircraft, etc. and not a word said by the parents or the flight attendants. The reason the cruise lines, restaurants, flight attendants don't say anything is they don't want to "offend". They are instructed by Management NOT to say anything. I know this for a fact.

We were on the Glory the end of April and there were three girls, ages 8 - 12, literally running thru the Dining Room every night. Not one word said by either the parents or the staff. The girls bumped into passengers' chairs while they were eating and they almost collided with a server with a tray of hot soup. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Several passengers complained to their own wait staff and they just shook their head but not a word said.

I always make a comment on the cards and have sent emails. Maybe when enough people complain Management will start caring about all of us who have to tolerate it. Our cruises cost us a lot of money. We drink, gamble, spend it in the shops, shore tours, etc. and have a right to enjoy our vacation!

AMEN! The only way things will change is if HAL thinks doing nothing about it will hurt their bottom line.

We try very hard not to travel on short cruises in the Caribbean (7 days of less) and stay away from Spring Break, Christmas and summer cruises.

It's too bad but we don't feel like wasting money on trips where there is a good chance of being invaded by unruly children.

We have left movies, restaurants and parties where children were allowed to run wild.

I have confronted children and parents on cruises and find that most tell be to butt out and mind my own business. I reported two boys that were runningthrough the hallways and taking the breakfast menu cards off of the doors. No one from security ever came to my cabin to investigate.

My biggest peeve though is when children play in the elevators and deny space to passengers in wheelchairs. On the Veendam three years ago I ordered four young teens out of an elevator and took them to the hotel manager's office.

I never touch them but I can still (as my adult boys say) hunt bear with a switch.

I don't cruise to be annoyed and I have no problem confronting the issue. However, I would prefer to avoid the problems and cruise when less children are likely to be aboard. Now that we can take more time we seldom cruise for less than ten days. My goal is longer cruises and more exotic locations.

Thumpr and I will cruise. We were thinking that most kids would be in school at the end of August. In most southern states, schools starting Aug. 16. I heard most northern states don't start until Labor Day.:( I was looking forward to less noise this trip. But, life goes on.

ekerr: I would have like to asked those parents to have paid for my trip then. Why do they feel that becasue they are on vacation they don't have to take care of their children.

I did not blame HAL for not enforcing the rules I blame the parents for being so ignorant to others around them. How would an adult feel if I just decided to pee in the pool.....*LOL* I bet that would not be accepted, so why are diapers??

dst-

I hear you. The me, me, me and ONLY ME! attitude really turns me off. There are tons of people out there who are like that - we always run into a few of them on a cruise.

On our last cruise, Maasdam, a group of younger boys started calling my 11-yr. daughter nasty names because she wouldn't get out of the pool. Apparently, she was the only girl swimming and they wanted a "boys only" pool. When she ignored them, they started taunting her to the point of tears.

I was reading in the shade and noticed the commotion - a parent of two of the boys was sitting right there and I foolishly thought he'd say something... imagine my surprise when he just sat there and listened to his young sons using profanity against a defenseless young girl!

Boy, I was over there in a heartbeat - and gave them the tongue lashing they deserved - turned to the Dad and all of sudden he acted as if he had no clue whose kids they were!

As my daughter and I walked away, all he said to his sons was "don't embarass me like that" - what a guy, huh? And we wonder why some kids act the way they do...!

as the parent of a son... ekerr, I can promise you, had that been my son, he'd be eating Dial soap for dinner ! How amazingly rude ! And honestly, why can't people teach children to do unto others as you'd have done to you. I can promise you that none of those boys would have been happy to been called names and taunted. And ahhh... there's always karma, how you treat others, will ALWAYS catch up ... good or bad !

The father leaned down and said something to the girl. She then slapped him in the face and began shouting at him in Italian. The father and the mother just stood there like that was normal behavior.

Oh, dear sweet mother of God!

I'd have been dead. No question. If I so much as raised a hand to either one of my parents ... "old school," strict (but loving) Italian parents ... I shudder to think what would have happened.

Blue skies ...

--rita

ekerr: I think you shoudl ingredible restrant, not beating their father *LOL* I guess to get a driver's license you need to take a test, to get into school you have to take a test.....we may need to institute a test to become a prent!

I am not sure why you guys got a bar of sop my grandparents went right to the liquid Dove! That taste stays with you for a long while

Heck no it was the Irish Spring that I remember!!!! It's wonder bouquet lasted ohhhhh so long!!!:eek:

heheheh... thanks to my mom's brilliant idea... liquid soap on a toothbrush also leaves a lasting impression !

as the parent of a son... ekerr, I can promise you, had that been my son, he'd be eating Dial soap for dinner ! How amazingly rude ! And honestly, why can't people teach children to do unto others as you'd have done to you. I can promise you that none of those boys would have been happy to been called names and taunted. And ahhh... there's always karma, how you treat others, will ALWAYS catch up ... good or bad !

jody-

Thankfully, my son wouldn't dream of behaving like that either. I am still amazed that so many parents will tolerate a potty mouth on their child. We never have, and our kids have know it since they were toddlers.

I don't remember having liquid soap in 60's & 70's when I was a kid, but I do remember as a teen, telling my Mom I was "pissed off" about something - I got some horrible aqua blue colored soap - it was rank! My parents didn't tolerate anything they even remotely thought "might" be profanity. :) I guess that might be where I get it from.

ekerr: wait a minute I was born in 65 (okay now my age is showing) and we had the liquid soap to do dishes, my grandmother loved to use that; it was quicker and not as messy :)

Its funny when these children grow up imagine how they will treat others.....not very kindly I assume

ekerr: wait a minute I was born in 65 (okay now my age is showing) and we had the liquid soap to do dishes, my grandmother loved to use that; it was quicker and not as messy :)

Its funny when these children grow up imagine how they will treat others.....not very kindly I assume

Oh, good point! I forgot about the liquid Palmolive... !

Archived