Carnival or NCL?

tbdurdles

We took our first cruise on the Norwegian Dawn and absolutely loved it. So much so that we are now trying to plan the next cruise. Our sons (age 19 and 22) were asking if maybe we should try Carnival this time instead. We really loved the freestyle dining and the entertainment was excellent. Can anyone who has been on both Carnival and NCL give us some comparisons? Also, on the NCL your tip is just set at $10 per day and you don't have to worry about it, is this the same on Carnival? Thanks so much for the help!

Beth

We were in the same boat (ha ha) 3 months ago and took the plunge. We sailed the NCL Dawn and loved her and freestyle but wanted to try another line. We went with the Miracle out of NYC and found just as many things to love on our Carnival cruise. We were most worried about the set dining time but we actually looked forward to dining every day. Tipping is set up exactly the same way. By the way, we took our three sons, 10, 14, and 17 and had two cabins, an inside and balcony across the hall. Great way to travel!

For my full review, click here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=29896

I have only done one NCL but, wasn't impressed at all. I will try it again on a newer ship next time.

I like the traditional dinning. I hate having to wait 30 min to an hour to wait to be seated. on a cruise. I just go sit down and be served. If I want to eat at a different time I just go to the Lido buffet. They newer ships have alternate dinning rooms.

Princess offers both on most ships. They had the original "Freestyle" dinning called "anytime" dinning.

I think your teens are right and will love Carnival.

I have only done one NCL but, wasn't impressed at all. I will try it again on a newer ship next time.

I like the traditional dinning. I hate having to wait 30 min to an hour to wait to be seated. on a cruise. I just go sit down and be served. If I want to eat at a different time I just go to the Lido buffet. They newer ships have alternate dinning rooms.

Princess offers both on most ships. They had the original "Freestyle" dinning called "anytime" dinning.

I think your teens are right and will love Carnival.

I think that there is a big difference on the newer ships built for freestyle, the older ships take a bit of planning to avoid peak dining times (although most cruise lines don't offer 7pm dining, which it seems to be the time everyone wants to eat on a freestyle cruise).

I think that you will find more similarities, than differences. Just think of the set dining time as something new to look forward to. You can also look forward to getting to know your wait staff which can be fun too. I do wish that Carnival would do like Princess does, because I have a feeling that I will really like Carnival, and an anytime dining option would make it perfect.

MAC

Go for it, the kids are right. Give Carnival a try. You will love the Chocolate Melting Cake for dessert. I believe that you and the kids will have a great time. I prefer the food and entertainment on Carnival over NCL.

Archived