Bay of fundy vs. Bar Harbor

We are going in September - NJ to Halifax and included are both ports you inquired about. Explorer of the Seas - September 14.

I'm trying to find someone that did the "hop on hop off" double decker bus tour in Halifax. Need to know the 14 stops it makes.

• 1 month later...

Having been to both, we would choose Bar Harbor. Acadia National Park is amazing and Bar Harbor is a beautiful, compact seaside town. We took a three hour private carriage ride through Acadia National Park - but there are other options for tours. Try the lobster at Quadrangle. Nice shops. Bay of Funday didn't leave much of an impression.

I, however, would probably pick the ship instead of the itinerary.

Apples are being compared to Oranges here. Bar Harbor is a "town", whereas the Bay of Fundy is a bay with many towns and a city on it's shore. Some may prefer Bar Harbor over St. Martin's or St. Andrew's, but may prefer the city of Saint John over Bar Harbor. Before dismissing Saint John, I would look at the different excursions or the city itself.

Apples are being compared to Oranges here. Bar Harbor is a "town", whereas the Bay of Fundy is a bay with many towns and a city on it's shore. Some may prefer Bar Harbor over St. Martin's or St. Andrew's, but may prefer the city of Saint John over Bar Harbor. Before dismissing Saint John, I would look at the different excursions or the city itself.

Acey---I couldn't agree more. The Bay of Fundy area is a jewel. There are so many breathtaking views that I have lived here most of my life and still haven't visited them all. It never ceases to amaze me. I love to walk the Fundy Trail and the Irving Nature Park. In earlier years I used to do a lot of sailing in the St. Andrews area and it was spectacular. Granted, that was Passamaquoddy Bay but it is part of the same system.

St. Andrews is like a quieter Bar Harbor--beautiful scenery and lots of gift shops--a quaint seaside town that is not as crowded and commercial as Bar Harbor. The nicest thing about the Bar Harbor area is the view from the top of Cadillac Mountain but it is always very cold and windy up there.

The person who said the Bay of Fundy was uninteresting is probably interested in things other than nature and beauty---not that anything is wrong with that, but it is another viewpoint and that's fine.

Archived