For the Victims of Charley - What you can do!

micheleg

Hi All,

Please everyone, if you can, please donate to the American Red Cross Diaster Relief fund and let them know that you want the donation to go to the victims of Hurricane Charley. If you do not want to give money to American Red Cross, any similar organization for Hurricane relief would be appreciated. If you would like to donate via the American Red Cross, the link to their secured donation page is as follows: https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

There are still 800,000 without power, so non-perishable food, water, dry goods, baby goods are essential at this time. These folks are trying to clean up in 100+ degree weather without water, food, sun screen, etc. Remember, so many have lost everything! You all have seen the pictures, but you have no clue unless you've been there...and those of us from South Florida that lived to tell the Andrew tell, know all too well.

As a survivor of Hurricane Andrew, I know how important all donations are for the victims. Personally, we have already donated cash at the end of our purchase through Publix Supermarkets (a Florida Food Chain), and again to the American Red Cross. Anything helps...no matter how little or how big.

Although you think that this could never happen to you, there are times when severe weather strikes no matter where you live, and thank God that these organizations exist in a time of need. We must help each other...it's our duty as human beings and as citizens of this great country of ours!

God bless and thanks in advance for your help!

Michele

Thanks Michele--you said it perfectly. I have nothing to add but just wanted to reinforce unless you have been there yourself, you just cannot imagine the devestation. And the emmotional toll is beyond belief. Thanks for making a donation, I am sure it will be put to good use.

Thanks for speaking up....I was thinking that if each and every CC gave up just $50 of their gambling $$ or one excursion or massage.....we could really make a difference. The Salvation Army also has a relief fund in case the Red Cross has put you off with the problems with their 9/11 fund. We live in Sarasota so we are only about 35 miles from Punta Gorda and we are thrilled to see all the organizations providing drop off points for water, food, garbage bags, batteries, baby supplies, etc. It will be a number of days and weeks til electric and water is available and the vast majority of people in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte and Arcadia are over the age of 70 and many are unable to even get around. Lines at gas stations within a 20 mile radius average 20-230 cars per line......EVERY school in Charlotte County has been damaged so kids can't even go to school, and even the three hospitals are turning away patients because their building are so severely damaged....It is OVERWHELMING.

Please help if you can.

Most of Central Florida (Osceola, Seminole, Orange, etc.)were devastated as well as the counties you are hearing about on the news.

Flacrusrs and Michele are right. I think most of us are still in shock. I'm one of the lucky ones, I still have a 4 walls and some of my roof but we are all alive and well and that's what counts.

Please if you can, help the Red Cross. You never know when it will be your turn.

OK - that's a view... Please consider the Salvation Army (easy to find on the web) organizationally and well established structurally in Florida.

I'm a booster of all the better service organizations (Rotary, Kiwanis, Sertoma; ex-Rotary Club Pres.) but really, under the circumstances go with the bigs... speed matters...

Our local relief organizations are in desperate need of cash. Cash can be turned into individual vouchers for folks who have nothing.. so they can get the basics, etc. their families need. The relief organizations do not have the manpower to sort through used clothing, etc.

Also..... blood donations are always greatly appreciated.

OCN - Jeez, (always where we like to see 'ya!)

At this point, D-Day +4; if you have personal or organizational (sic Salvation Army etc.) connections to DeSoto and Hardy counties, by all means. DeSoto and Hendry are wonderful, underpopulated, overlooked counties that were HAMMERED. Plus they had less hard infrastructure to start with and a population that was spread out; now without for... weeks? Baby food, diapers, water, medicine... without electric at 90 degrees, 90 humid, this gets critical.

Archived