Is it a waste of money to get a Cabana if you are going to...

sassafrass

Hi! I actually have a similar question...I'm debating about getting a cabana when I want to do the horseback riding in the morning as well. We're at HMC from 9am to 3pm. I had planned on doing the first horseback riding session at 10am then the cabana afterwards, however, my fear is that the we'll be done at 11:30 or so from the horseback riding, then the BBQ then the last tender back will be at 2pm, and we'll have like one hour with the cabana. Seems to me like I should do one or the other, don't you think? Maybe just a clam shell for shade instead?

The last thing I'd get is one of the clam shell shelters. What a total waste of money. Plus, they don't work.

They are basically little two person tents lined up in a row out in the middle of the sun. They get real hot. There are so many trees to lie under, I'd never get a clam shell shelter. We kept looking at the lemmings in their little tents burning up and couldn't figure out why someone would spend money on them. My sister in law was POd that her husband spent the money on it when we had a much more pleasant place in the shade under a grouping of palm trees. Much, much better scenery from there also.

Well we are there longer. WE get there at 9:00 AM and stay until 7:00 PM but we want to horseback ride and scuba.

HAL had cancelled scuba excursions when we were there in December, did they reinstate them?

IMO, you'd be spending a lot of money if you did both the horses and scuba and a cabana. I agree with typhoonwi, if you get a cabana you would want to spend a day of rest and relaxation and some time in the sun or cooling off inside. If you have the money, go ahead and spend it, but you won't spending a lot of time in the cabana.

• 1 month later...

The bungalows are fantastic. You are relaxing in a secluded area...your lunch is served to you...(the inside is air conditioned).. If you are there 9-3, this is what you do - I would not get another excursion. If you are there until 7pm, then you could plan for horsenback riding or something else in the afternoon...

• 3 weeks later...
The last thing I'd get is one of the clam shell shelters. What a total waste of money. Plus, they don't work.

They are basically little two person tents lined up in a row out in the middle of the sun. They get real hot. There are so many trees to lie under, I'd never get a clam shell shelter. We kept looking at the lemmings in their little tents burning up and couldn't figure out why someone would spend money on them. My sister in law was POd that her husband spent the money on it when we had a much more pleasant place in the shade under a grouping of palm trees. Much, much better scenery from there also.

I know this is an old post but hopefully you or someone else can answer this....If you do not get the clam shell..and go under the shade palm trees as you suggested...how do you get the sun chairs? Are those for everyone or do you have to rent them?

Thanks in advance

You do not have to rent the chairs only the shells and I have to agree they seem like a waist of $19. There are a lot of chairs along the beach. We were able to get a hammock, for free, in the shade and about 30 yards from the beach. We didn't spend much time in the hammock because the water is so beautiful. We rented a float for $9 and snorkle equipment for $16 and spent most our time on the float. We also rented a kayak for an hour. Enjoy HMC it is wonderful!!!

........good to know about the floats...will keep an eye out for one of those hammocks...I know my daughter will love that...she likes to swing in them....

There is a hammock between cabana #2 & #3 for sure. Not sure where the others are. The floats are great to have. We spent alot of time on them, just relaxing with waves occasionally from the tenders going to & from the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
The bungalows are fantastic. You are relaxing in a secluded area...your lunch is served to you...(the inside is air conditioned).. If you are there 9-3, this is what you do - I would not get another excursion. If you are there until 7pm, then you could plan for horsenback riding or something else in the afternoon...

We are going on a cruise in Nov 08. Do you think it's too early to book a cabana?

We are going on a cruise in Nov 08. Do you think it's too early to book a cabana?

It is if you are on carnival because you can only reserve them once you board the ship.

For HAL, you really, really need to reserve a cabana as soon as they become listed online for your cruise. For our cruise, I found out they were available 2 days after they were listed online and there were only 3 cabanas left to reserve. This was several months before our cruise sailed.

It is if you are on carnival because you can only reserve them once you board the ship.

For HAL, you really, really need to reserve a cabana as soon as they become listed online for your cruise. For our cruise, I found out they were available 2 days after they were listed online and there were only 3 cabanas left to reserve. This was several months before our cruise sailed.

Thanks for the tip. We are sailing on HAL and when I sign in on their website to book excursions, a message comes up saying that there are none yet for our cruise. I think I might phone them just to be safe.

Archived