Who has a good packing list for Alaska?

jimbug

Hi, DH & I will be first-time cruisers in June on the Sapphire Princess. Does anyone have a good packing list for a 7-day Alaska?

Thanks!

Sapphire Princess 6/20/04 (honeymoon)

We have been to Alaska twice, once in July and once in September and this is what we took: a medium weight coat (unless you go dog sledding, etc) sweatshirts, turtlenecks, a warm pair of gloves, umbrella, jeans, camera, binoculars. The best thing I can tell you is to layer, layer, and more layer. When I go I either put on a sweatshirt, then a jacket. If you are sailing by the glaciers, it does get very cold. The coat would also be best if you had hooded jacket. Some people do not bring jeans, they bring water resident pants but I havae always wore jeans. Never had a problem. As for shoes, I bring along good walking shoes, socks or tennis shoes as by DH wears. As for the evening formal night is always the same as all of the other ships. Even the smart casula nights are treated the same. If you havae any questions please let me know. You will probably get alot of feedback from this post. The more the merrier.

Marilyn

P.S. You never know about the weather. The two times we were there it was in the 50"s. But other people had warmer weather.

Go to Royal Carribean Message Boards
Look for Radiance of Seas May 29 Saling.
On Page 3 Someone has posted a Packing list.

Bug spray, Umbrella, Rain Poncho, Shout Stain Remover wipes, Purell (small purse size). Downy Wrinkle Release spray (helps take out wrinkles).Film, Film Film or Memory Cards, Memory Cards for digital Cameras. Binoculars!! Backpack, Just some ideas.

Stephen's MoM

[url="http://www.geocities.com/jazzyjas63/PackingList.htm"]http://www.geocities.com/jazzyjas63/PackingList.htm[/url]

This is an extensive packing list for a cruise.
Hope it helps.

Janet

[I]"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"[/I]

quarters for laundry, if you use. clothspins..extension cord (sometime plug is far from where you may want to plug something in) and maybe a three-plug adapter (to plug in three things in one outlet), nightlite (if you have an inside cabin and dont like it pitch black at nite..you can leave the bathroom light on and the door open a crack, but the door will sway when out at sea unless you stuff wet towels against the bottom), corkscrew (if you bring your own wine to enjoy in the cabin..dont put in carry-on though)..maybe a small travel iron since the only irons are usually in the laundry room and their may be a wait for them...that is all the weird stuff I can think of for packing.

Make sure you bring a good raincoat because chances are that you will have rain a few days. Do not just bring a poncho but invest in a thick,long one with a hood. I went to the army/navy store to get my family's coats. They came in a nice pouch. They really did save our trip because cold and wet is not fun.

Also, nylon type sweat pants are great because they resist water unlike jeans.

Binoculars are really important. Walmart had some great small ones that you could wear on your neck or stick in a purse. Also lots and lots of film and video tapes because you just can't help yourself.

Long socks for under your pants too.

We are going July 24th to skagway, juneau & ketchikan. Are they all potentially rainy destinations?? & how cold & rainy at that time of year?

I have a waterproof windbreaker that goes over my fleece jacket. Is that okay or should I throw in a big poncho just in case?? I have thin waterproof pants(the kind for spring skiing)

In some pictures I see people in shorts-what part of alaska are they in & what time of year. Maybe if I pack all colder weather stuff -- it will be 80 & sunny. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You will need a WIDE range of attire so yes - do take the long poncho. Interior Alaska- Fairbanks can be hot- 90. But inside passage ports have less of a temp range (I had -25 in March in Fairbanks).

ginakl112 wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Make sure you bring a good raincoat because chances are that you will have rain a few days. Do not just bring a poncho but invest in a thick,long one with a hood. I went to the army/navy store to get my family's coats. They came in a nice pouch. They really did save our trip because cold and wet is not fun.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DH bought us the sturdy ponco in the pouch for less than $4 at our local Walmart last week.

We don't have an available Army/Navy store.

Karen

Summit 9/3/04 Alaska Southbound
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;3;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Archived