Been to Water Island?

Tammy245

[quote name='Tammy245']Thinking about going when we go to St. Thomas and wanted some feedback from someone who has been there. Been to St. John many times and looking for something different.[/QUOTE]

Good luck in finding out here. I asked basically the same question a week ago, and I haven't gotten any response yet. Hopefully, some infrequent board readers will happen upon one of our posts and tell us about Water Island.

Bill

I have posted on several of the cruiselines boards actually. Hopefully someone will know something!! If not, when are you cruising?;) Maybe you can give me some feedback if you go before I do!

I have also posted to the pretty active [url="http://www.vinow.com"]www.vinow.com[/url] webboard so maybe will get a response there.

Hi

I was on Water Island many years ago - in the 1980's (before the BIG Hurricane). I first visited Honeymoon Beach there on the Kon Tiki Tour. Then I stayed there for a week at the SugarBird Hotel (destroyed in the BIG Hurricane).

When I stayed there a water taxi ran from The Sub Base to the pier on Water Island. The pier is at the bottom of a big hill.....to get to the beach it is at least 1/2 way up the hill on the road and then a path down to the beach. It is a very nice beach with decent walk in snorkeling. There was a food hut there then too. It did get very crowded and hectic when the Kon Tiki pulled in (but that was good entertainment).

A few cruise ships also run a Water Island Bike Tour - not sure how crowded the beach gets then.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Water Island is basically a residential island, with no facilities. There is the aforementioned Honeymoon beach about a 15 minute walk over the hill from the ferry boat dock. There is a food wagon/hut there but its hours maybe dinner and weekends only.
The website mentioned above is the only organized anything on Water Island.
The ferry boat hours are geered for the people who live on water Island.....mornings before work and afternoons after work. I know there is a midday ferry also.

[url="http://www.vinow.com/"]www.vinow.com[/url] which is listed here in a previous post does have the Water Island ferry listed. Contrary to what I posted in the last post there seems to be more scheduled ferries then I listed (with the exception of Sunday). The optimun word is [u]SCHEDULED. [/u][b]The Water Island ferry does not always follow schedule. [/b]PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK WITH THE FERRY CAPTAIN ON THE WAY OVER!!!!!. Even arrange with him when you want to return back!!!

Hello Tammy,

I have visited Water Island many times. The ferry is reliable and offers a regular schedule. You can confirm your return time once on the ferry heading over just to make sure. The walk up the hill and then down the hill (its a paved road rather then a path) isn't to bad and its a nice walk, great view once at the corner overlooking the beach.

There is a nice little deli/convience shop on Water Island called Pirates Ridge and Mark (the owner) is open daily around 10:30-11am for lunch and serves pizza, sandwiches, icecream, drinks, chips ect. You can walk up the wooden steps and trail on the left side of Honeymoon (left when facing the water) and then right/up to the corner of the road and to Pirates Ridge for lunch. Also they have a restroom. There is a restroom at Honeymoon Beach but it isn't always open.

Its a nice quiet day.

--Islander
[url]www.vinow.com[/url]

Archived