St. Thomas - extreme caution?

collanshelash

I've just bought the Frommers Caribbean Guide (it's from 2006, not the newer 2007 version) and I quote: "Travelers should exercise extreme caution both day and night, especially in the back streets of Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas, and in Christiansted and Frederiksted in St. Croix. Muggings are commonplace..."

This has me a little concerned about wearing my jewelry (like my wedding ring, etc.) and taking a purse while shopping in Charlotte Amalie.

Have you been mugged or accosted in any way while shopping in Charlotte Amalie in broad daylight?

Your answers will help me determine if I should just leave my "good stuff" at home and take only costume jewely on our trip.

Thanks in advance!

Just returned from St. Thomas last month and felt totally safe. Absolutely no problem at all. Just don't wear your good jewelry in any port. Save that to wear on the ship. :) I didn't take a purse, I wore one of those bucklepacks. You might want to get one of those.

Don't worry and have fun!!! :D

Stay in the tourist areas and away from the back streets. I carry a purse while shopping in town and have never had any problems in 15 years. However, at night always use cabs and know where you are going. During the day the downtown area where the shps are is thronged with people. As in any place watch your belongings and do not flaunt either money or jewelry. Just be aware and enjoy your cruise:)

B.

We never had a problem in St. Thomas, but will say that "THEY" are watching you. I don't believe that you will be literally robbed, but THEY know who the tourists are and will try to squeeze you for money.

Incidences are occasional, and I can't remember when it's happened to a cruise passenger in a long while. Muggings against tourists, when they happen, generally occur when people are leaving a bar heavily under the influence. From what I've read in the paper, the victim is usually alone at night in a dark secluded area, and they claim to have been attacked. They aren't taking the normal precautions that anybody living anywhere would take, so they end up suffering the consequences.

Look at the many people posting on this forum who feel completely comfortable exploring St Thomas on their own. They wouldn't feel that way if muggings were "commonplace."

I've never had a problem either. But then again I don't wear any jewelry not even earrings. I carry a small bag that I can put across my shoulders. My jewelry is all too valueable for me to even risk either sentimentally or financially. I utilize the safe in the cabin while in port.

I've just bought the Frommers Caribbean Guide (it's from 2006, not the newer 2007 version) and I quote: "Travelers should exercise extreme caution both day and night, especially in the back streets of Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas, and in Christiansted and Frederiksted in St. Croix. Muggings are commonplace..."

This has me a little concerned about wearing my jewelry (like my wedding ring, etc.) and taking a purse while shopping in Charlotte Amalie.

Have you been mugged or accosted in any way while shopping in Charlotte Amalie in broad daylight?

Your answers will help me determine if I should just leave my "good stuff" at home and take only costume jewely on our trip.

Thanks in advance!

Just take the same precautions as you would when heading to downtown Fort Worth or Dallas. ;) Stay on the main streets where there are plenty of people and open shops and you'll be fine. St. Thomas has a relatively high standard of living for the area and other ports are not as fortunate.

We've never been bothered by anyone in Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook.

Christensted in St. Croix is supposed to have a high crime rate and from reading the local newspaper during land-based vacation on St. Thomas, that appears to be true. Both St. Thomas and St. John also had their share of incidents during our stay but sadly, St. Croix topped the list. :( Pity, because based on photos, the island looks lovely.

As far as jewelry goes, leave your really good stuff at home or on the ship. With a wedding ring or some understated piece you will be fine in St. Thomas or any other port you visit.

We have been to St. Thomas 4 times including a week long stay last year. Have another week long stay planned this thanksgiving for a week at our new timeshare. We bought there because we felt very safe and with it being a US territory we felt even safer.

Bottom line....don't worry. Take the same precautions you would in any american city. The locals do know the tourists, especially when ships are in port. They do ask alot if you need a cab, but you kindly tell them "no". Other than that St. Thomas is beautiful so enjoy your stay there!

We have been to St. Thomas 4 times including a week long stay last year. Have another week long stay planned this thanksgiving for a week at our new timeshare. We bought there because we felt very safe and with it being a US territory we felt even safer.

Bottom line....don't worry. Take the same precautions you would in any american city. The locals do know the tourists, especially when ships are in port. They do ask alot if you need a cab, but you kindly tell them "no". Other than that St. Thomas is beautiful so enjoy your stay there!

Is it safe to take a cab on your own from the locals if you need one?

all good advice. no reason to be bringing precious/sentimental items with you and risking their loss.

that's why i have 2 wedding bands. the one has dimaonds that go halfway around, the other is just a plain old "mens comfort band". and there is NO WAY my wife will be wearing her engagement ring on shore. even though i gave it to her and it is hers...that's still my blood and sweat. that will stay in the safe...i don't care what she says!!! even her wedding band...i will encourage her to keep that in the safe.

she actually has a fake set that she has...and it looks good enough to wear. besides...there are too many activities that we will do where rings just get in the way.

The taxis are regulated, they have a gold medallion, any Taxi you get at a hotel, restaurant ect. will be from the Taxi union, and are perfectly safe

This how my tour guide Henry told us about taxis. Union sets rules that everyone must follow. One being taxis must wait in line to pick up people. He told us that the islands only industry is the tourist that come, so people get treated right and if not they "deal" with the bad people. So in short feel safe on the taxi.

We have taken multiple cabs on every visit to St. Thomas and have never felt unsafe at all. They are very, very friendly drivers. Actually this last visit we had one of the same cab drivers we had on our previous visit. We recognized her face and mentioned that she had driven us on our last trip. They really recognize tourism as their income and treat visitors as they should.

Although, for our next visit we are renting a jeep. With 4 people for 7 days it will get very pricey to take cabs everywhere. We have some knowledge of the roads so we feel that we are ready to drive there. Besides they never get over about 30 mph anyways :)

Just a reccomendation in terms of jewlery and purses.

When it comes to traveling, it's never really a good idea to wear your good jewlery. I understand the sentimental value of engagement rings and wedding rings, but personnally i'd rather not have to replace them. Purchase an inexpensive silver, white gold or gold (metal of your choice) if you feel weird not wearing anything.

I have definately gone on vacation in carribean destinations wearing diamonds, you are targeted as having money to spend. I even had someone ask me to trade my diamond studs. I love to bargain and fine the more simple my jewlery, the better i do.

In terms of purses. I don't like backpacks, because you never know who is behind you, and they can be heavy and hot to wear. I picked up a smallish side tote from Old Navy on clearance that is cotton, light to carry and has a zippered pocket inside for my ID and what not. Works great.

Enjoy!

Cristina

I never felt unsafe in St. Thomas....but St. Croix is a different story...our resort in St. Croix was completly fenced in...and we still had a spare tire stolen from our rental jeep...thats a long story but an expensive one..We were also followed and asked several weird questions by some guys when we took a self guided rain forest tour in our rented jeep..the hair on my neck stood up and i was glad I didnt make any wrong turns getting back to population!

We were told by some of the local officials of the USVI from St. Croix...that all of the aid money from a hurricane that went through several years ago was spent on St. Thomas...leaving St. John and St. Croix to fend for themselves..I would love to see the cruise ships go to St. Croix again..its a beautiful place....its a catch 22 it seems...they need money to clean up the bad element to get the cruise ships back but cant make the money they need till the ships come back....

I think i confused myself with that sentence!

If you stick to the tourist areas (high traffic) there are usually police around mingling together somewhere on the curb/corner.

No need to wear $$ jewlery whether sentimental or not and flaunt it.

Just be aware of where you are and look around "at" people and if there is someone scanning people for an easy target, they'll see you looking at them. Usually, opportunists target tourist that aren't paying attention and are careless.

Archived