Hawaiian Cruise

snooterbug

Often rough first day or two from Left Coast, as you cross the Japanese Current, which flows South along the coast of California.

We did a San Francisco/Honolulu crossing on the late great Constitution, way back in Dec 84, and it was fairly rough all the way. They had to put the lips up on the dining room tables and wet the tablecloths down, in a futile attempt to keep dinner on the table!

We've done several other trans-Pacifics, you never know what the sea state will be. Smooth one time, rough another!

We were on the December 5th Island cruise RT from LA. Yes, the seas were a little rough, but apparently not rough enough to say we wouldn't do it again as we are booked on the Diamond December 3rd cruise this year!!

Having said that I must add that while IN HAWAII the weather was just beautiful in every port - no rain at all for us. It was a little breezy in port but not WINDY like it was at sea.

We were on an early Jan cruise out of LA. Because of weather, both Kauai and Maui were cancelled. So, we just had Honolulu and Hilo as ports of call. Also hit a storm about the third day out which was pretty violent. But, would I take another cruise to Hawaii? You bet I would! PENNY

Thinking about a cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii in Dec. Cruise agent says waters can be very rough at this time of year. Has anyone done this cruise in Dec. and if so were the seas rough..Thank you:)

My wife abd I have made this RT cruise twice once on the Regal and the second on the Island Princesss. Both trips were in the April — May time period.

We enjoy the days at sea in both directions and the seas were pretty smooth. On the first trip we missed the island of Kauaii because it's a tender port and it was to rough. We missed no ports on the second trip.

It is one of our favorite cruises and I'm sure in time we'll do it again. :D

Thanks Bucky- We are planning on the 12/3 cruise on the diamond as well-sounds great and thanks:)

Hi, Snooterbug. My wife and I will be aboard this cruise as well. We've done a transatlantic in October, but this will be a new one for us. We love the sea days, but hope they won't have to cancel any ports.

Have you thought about joining the roll call for this cruise?

The Hawaii cruise has been our favorite so far. It was 1-1/2 years ago and it feels like it was yesterday. The sea days depends on our strange weather patterns. I've seen some people talk about how they had rough seas and then two weeks later different people said the seas were fine. We only had rough seas the first night leaving the Coast but the rest of the cruise was absolutely amazing. Can't wait to do it again.

Hi, Snooterbug. My wife and I will be aboard this cruise as well. We've done a transatlantic in October, but this will be a new one for us. We love the sea days, but hope they won't have to cancel any ports.

Have you thought about joining the roll call for this cruise?

We are not sure what the roll call is. Can you please tell us more and thanks!:confused:

We are not sure what the roll call is. Can you please tell us more and thanks!:confused:

If you've found this "Princess" link under the "Boards" heading of Cruise Critic, just look down another category or two and you'll find "Princess" under a Roll Call heading. Click on that, then click on "Diamond Princess." Look for the date of your sailing (Dec 3, right?), (a thread started by "oceandreaming2), and click on that. You'll find lots of company -- close to 140 postings so far -- discussing aspects of that cruise. Lots of friendly people on board; we're hoping to meet them.

Good luck.

Snooterbug - Come on over to our roll call for the December 3rd Diamond sailing. It's fun to"chatter" while waiting for the big date! You never can tell about the motion of the ocean. We can just hope for calm seas. We particularly like the Princess itinerary, because it PLANS ON visiting all the ports. Some ships don't have Kauai in their itinerary, and it's a favorite of ours. Look forward to meeting you on board!

We were on the 12/22/05 cruise and had rough seas the first couple of days (there was record surf on west facing beaches in LA at that time), but relatively calm seas the rest of the way. After a couple of overcast days, had sunny and mostly sunny days after that. No rain at all, not even in Hilo. We had to miss Kona because of high waves.

Most likely you will encounter rough seas leaving from or returning to LA because of that current at any time of year. Just be prepared with the seasickness remedies just in case.

Archived