Gym Age?

Tweetsmom

Hi, I'm going out on the pearl to alaska and I was wondering if there is

an age requirement to work out in the gym? I have 3 daughters who are

also going and they were wondering if they could use the treadmill and stuff. thanks

Tweets Mom

i think it was 16. but they dont mind if they are responsible and not throwing yoga balls at each other.

I'm surprised to hear this. I'm sure that part of the age limitation is for liability insurance costs. It's so easy to injure yourself if you don't use equipment properly. Even with the parents willing to be in attendance, I believe that they should stick with the age limitation, but it sounds like they don't. Some teens would no doubt use the equipment properly. Unfortunately, many would treat it as "jungle gyms" (and disrupt others' workouts and prevent others from using the equipment as it's meant to be used). I suspect NCL's insurance underwriters would not be happy to learn that they are not following the age restriction.

beachchick

Even with the parents willing to be in attendance, I believe that they should stick with the age limitation, but it sounds like they don't. Some teens would no doubt use the equipment properly. Unfortunately, many would treat it as "jungle gyms" (and disrupt others' workouts and prevent others from using the equipment as it's meant to be used).
On my cruises on the Sun, the age limit was generally observed. There are always some who look like "young adults" who might or might not be over 16, but in my experience the gym instructors generally don't challenge those who are behaving sensibly and using the equipment properly. Those who are mucking about get chucked out. Personally, as a gym user I'm pretty comfortable with that view. And it's difficult to know what more the gym instructors could reasonably do about individuals who might be just one side of the line rather than the other, when you don't carry around proof of age on a ship.

Archived