How do I physically give someone a tip?

On another cruiseline the tips are automatically added to your account and you can have them removed at guest relations if you want to - do they do that with RCI or do you go to guest relations to have them added? We prefer to leave them a tip and not on our sea pass card.

No on RCI you have to go to the desk & request they put the tips on your seapass acct. "USUALLY" they give you a form to fill out the 2nd or 3rd day onboard, but you can also just go to the purser's desk & ask for it.....

On another cruiseline the tips are automatically added to your account and you can have them removed at guest relations if you want to - do they do that with RCI or do you go to guest relations to have them added? We prefer to leave them a tip and not on our sea pass card.

RCI doesn't automatically add them to your account. Once you are onboard you have the choice to add them to your seapass (you will receive vouchers to place in the envelopes), you can put cash in the envelope, or you can do both if you want to give above the suggested amount.

On our last cruise on the Mariner in June (eyes glazing over), we started putting a few dollars in with the drink tab at the champagne bar. We soon starting getting stronger drinks and snacks and all kinds of extra things. The people who provide service on the ship always appreciate cash.

I'm curious, if anyone knows, what the the lag time is for your stewards and waitstaff to actually receive the cash if you pay on your seapass? I just always put cash in the envelope, its easy and they get payed right away.

On one cruise there was a really pleasant stateroom attendant taking care of cabins along the hallway from our aft cabin. He was not our attendant but he always had something pleasant to say and made me feel great when I saw him. On the last night I folded a ten dollar bill and passed it to him as I went down the hallway. He was a bit startled and I quickly told him how much he added to the enjoyment of our trip and it was just a little way of showing my appreciation.

Kathy:)

On one cruise there was a really pleasant stateroom attendant taking care of cabins along the hallway from our aft cabin. He was not our attendant but he always had something pleasant to say and made me feel great when I saw him. On the last night I folded a ten dollar bill and passed it to him as I went down the hallway. He was a bit startled and I quickly told him how much he added to the enjoyment of our trip and it was just a little way of showing my appreciation.

Kathy:)

Kathy, that's so funny... on our cruise on Explorer last year, same thing with us - a stateroom attendant on the same floor but not for our room always had something fun to say and was always pleasant. If we passed him we'd say, "How are you today?" and he would always reply, "I feel like a rock stah!" We always called him "Rock Star'" after that. He was so fun. :)

Langley Cruiser, I wonder if it was the same fellow.

People like him deserve the employee recognition award. Hope to have a chance to nominate him someday.:)

I am absolutely horrified when I read that some people deliberate skip dinner in the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping. :eek:

Kathy

I am absolutely horrified when I read that some people deliberate skip dinner in the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping. :eek:

Yes, I know what you mean. We noticed a young couple in the Dining Room, perhaps on their honeymoon. They were the only couple who showed up for dinner each night at a huge table set for 8 or 10. Obviously, they received stellar service (almost one-on-one service, really). Was disappointed to see they did not come to dinner the last night (the table was empty), BUT... would like to assume they had their tips put on their Sea Pass. Yes, I'm sure that was it. :) ;)

Beside having the reccommended tips charged to our Sea Pass cards my sister and I always leave one gold dollar coin on each of our pillows (every night) for the room attendant and two gold dollar coins for the person that cleans our bathroom. That way each person has something to look forward to each evening when they come to our room. At the end of the cruise if we think they deserve more, we leave more money for them.

I also read in a news article that if they are especially good there are other ways to treat them:

• Have them join you one night at one of the specialty restaurants
  • Ask them what they are hungry for and ordered that item(s) from room service and have it deliveried to your room so it is waiting for them when they come in to turn down your beds. Most of these people eat leftovers from the buffet lines and it is just possible that they are hungry for a hamburger and fries or a pizza.
  • Bring specialty items from your home state and leave them in a gift bag when you are ready to leave the ship. My sister and I plan on buying pecan parlines, etc and leaving them with a note of thanks for their service.
  • If you can order a gift card to be used as an on-board credit for friends you can also order one for staff members. They can use it for everyday items such a toothpaste, makeup, snacks etc. The less out-of-pocket money they have to spend on themselves the more money they can send home.

countdown.pl?name=Cruise_Lover&date=1-13-2008&image=Beach-2&text=Cruises and birthdays are matches made in heaven!&ship=Voyager of the Seas

Norwegian Sun - January 2007

Carnival Conquest - September 2005

sorry, but this is so condescending: " my sister and I always leave one gold dollar coin on each of our pillows (every night) for the room attendant and two gold dollar coins for the person that cleans our bathroom. That way each person has something to look forward to each evening when they come to our room. At the end of the cruise if we think they deserve more, we leave more money for them."

having to rely on tips for a living, because the cruise lines won't pay them a decent wage, is bad enough, without cruisers humiliating them. If you want to give them something, then just give them cash, not treats, as you would a begging dog.

sorry, but this is so condescending: " my sister and I always leave one gold dollar coin on each of our pillows (every night) for the room attendant and two gold dollar coins for the person that cleans our bathroom. That way each person has something to look forward to each evening when they come to our room. At the end of the cruise if we think they deserve more, we leave more money for them."

having to rely on tips for a living, because the cruise lines won't pay them a decent wage, is bad enough, without cruisers humiliating them. If you want to give them something, then just give them cash, not treats, as you would a begging dog.

Uh, the "golden" dollar coin IS cash.

maybe, but leaving it on the pillow like the tooth fairy? these are adults, not little kids, give them a bit of respect!
What more appropriate place as a thank you for turning down the bed?

I'm curious, if anyone knows, what the the lag time is for your stewards and waitstaff to actually receive the cash if you pay on your seapass? I just always put cash in the envelope, its easy and they get payed right away.

What difference does it make what the lag time is? I get paid two weeks after I actually work, doesn't everybody?

• 1 year later...

I always get extra dollars at the bank prior to the cruise and fold them into 'football' shaped triangles that way when we see someone at the pool party, midnight buffet, lunch, breakfast or room service we can shake their hand and slip them an extra tip. I do it this way in the event there is a group of passengers around I wouldn't want anyone to feel obligated to do the same or have any other employee have hurt feelings for not receiving anything extra.

Archived