Halibut Fishing

pmoments

What port is it in and when? I have a trip booked next week and did the same as I did two years ago booked an independent charter. There are many and most are less expensive, fish longer, and do not crowd you as much.

What ports will you be stopping in? I just booked an all day in Juneau as all of the other ports you need a lot of run time on the water to get to good halibut grounds. The other exception would be Sitka where I have a good guide if you are stopping there.

My husband went salmon fishing last time we went to AK, would like to fish again when we go next year. For the life of me I cannot remember what port he did it in, I think Ketchikan.

We stop in Juneau (9:00 AM to 7:00 PM ) and Ketchikan (7:00 AM to 3:00 PM ) on the Infinity. Would love to find a private outfit in Juneau if you care to share, but Ketchikan would work too.

If you book a halibut charter in Juneau it's an all day charter because they come all the way over to Icy Strait to fish. If you book a halibut charter at Icy Strait (Hoonah) you can book 1/2 a day and limit, since it's right here!

Would anyone have a fishing recommendation for out of Hoonah? There would be 4 men going. Early planning for July 2008. Halibit fishing is pretty high on my husband's list of things to do, but he will leave all the planning to me.... so help me find the best spot for him and our boys.

Thanks

I took the RCCL Halibut fishing tour out of ISP and absolutely LOVED it!!! Our trip was about 3 hours long and we caught our limit in halibut. You'll really love it when it arrives at your home in a few weeks and you start eating it. We also got a nice show from some humpbacks...almost as good as the whale watching trip we took in Juneau. We had 6 in our group plus the captain and mate so it was a perfect size boat.

Thanks for all the good information. From the website that listed prices it looks like an independent fishing trip would cost about $180 each instead of $240 with the cruise ship. NorthernVAPirate do you remember want charter that RCCL used? Do any one have any experience with the other independents? Thanks

Thanks for all the good information. From the website that listed prices it looks like an independent fishing trip would cost about $180 each instead of $240 with the cruise ship. NorthernVAPirate do you remember want charter that RCCL used? Do any one have any experience with the other independents? Thanks

I want to say the name of the boat was the Lady Jane and the captain's name was Royal (I believe that was his first name), but we're in the middle of moving and all of our cruise momentos are packed up in storage. After we got off the tender at ISP (we were the first tender off the boat) we went into one of the buildings where folks from all the different excursions were set up at tables. We filled out the forms and paid for our fishing licenses and waited until we were called to procede to the dock, where we met our boat. We didn't get to pick the charter, although ours was great. Boy I could go for some fresh Alaskan halibut about now!!!!!! That was our first trip to Alaska and our first fishing excursion so I don't have any experience with independent charters.

Archived