Recommended shore excursions for Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan

Alan

The helicopter took us physically closer to the glaciers. We flew right over several glaciers and then landed and got out and walked around, drank some water from a glacier stream. It was awesome.

The McKinley flight was a small plane and you can see the glaciers but you aren't as close. McKinley is HUGE! Your perception is really out of whack because you don't have anything to compare it to. It sometimes feels like you are just hanging there in mid-air and other times you think you are going to hit something (the pilot said we were still a mile away, though).

We loved both trips but I would have to say that the helicopter was my husbands favorite.

I'm new to this critic's page and to cruising (tho I took a 3-day cruise from LA to Ensenada once). Cruising to Alaska via Carnival Spirit leaving Vancouver May 18, 2005. Having trouble deciding on excursions. Cap't Larry seems to be a sure bet, tho. But I also want to see bears. There's float plane tour from Juneau to Admiralty Island to see bears, but my partner prefers whales. We plan to go with Capt Larry for whale watching (assuming we can book it) but debating about also doing the flight to see bears. Other option is to spend a night at a bear camp from the Kenai Peninsula after we leave the ship in Whittier.

So, any suggestions? Anyone else booked on this northbound cruise this spring? Any chance we'll see any Northern Lights? Days should already be long by then, but not quite to midnight.

Thanks

Sidney

I'm new to this critic's page and to cruising (tho I took a 3-day cruise from LA to Ensenada once). Cruising to Alaska via Carnival Spirit leaving Vancouver May 18, 2005. Having trouble deciding on excursions. Cap't Larry seems to be a sure bet, tho. But I also want to see bears. There's float plane tour from Juneau to Admiralty Island to see bears, but my partner prefers whales. We plan to go with Capt Larry for whale watching (assuming we can book it) but debating about also doing the flight to see bears. Other option is to spend a night at a bear camp from the Kenai Peninsula after we leave the ship in Whittier.

So, any suggestions? Anyone else booked on this northbound cruise this spring? Any chance we'll see any Northern Lights? Days should already be long by then, but not quite to midnight.

Thanks

Sidney

Are you adding at least 5 days for interior Alaska- that is your best options for bears in Denali Park- before June 1 take the shuttle to Toklat- Fish Creek doesn't start until June. For bear tours- Homer offers many excellent tours. Sorry no chance for Northern Lights. You may be too early for Admirality Island, peak is after June.

Trish,That depends on (1) what ports you will be in and (2) what you want to do on the glacier (landing with a short walk; a relatively easy 2 hour hike to explore ice formations or a more difficult 4 hour version; dogsledding). Can you be more specific?

I need recommendations for a Glacier Helicopter trip This is for the Southbound June 25th Island Princess. The ports calls are Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway. Mostly interested in the easy option.

Thanks in advance!

Lesa

Lesa,

There are helicopter tours available in Juneau and in Skagway. I didn't research Ketichican since we are going to Sitka.

If you look at the Princess website log in your ship on the upper left side of the page and hit enter. It will bring up all of the cruises for your ship. Then find the the date that you are sailing. When you enter that link it will show you your ports of call with a view to the left. When you go into the view option it shows you all of the port excursions. The prices are not accurate, for some reason they have not been updated for 2005.

If you have an ID number from your TA you can enter into the Princess site and it will let you see the 2005 prices and allow you to reserve the excurisons through the ship.

Have fun

Deb

H

lesa,

we are also going on the island princess on june 25th southbound and i am in the middle of booking the tours. my biggest problem is scheduling both a whale watching with capt. larry and a glacier flight in the short time we have at port. of course we don't want the ship to sail away without us.

TAKU GLACIER LODGE=Juneau

The most amazing shore excursion we have taken. A float plane takes you from the harbor over several glaciers to a water landing at a remote lodge. There are several short trails around the lodge, including one to a beautiful waterfall. Fresh caught salmon is cooked on a grill and served inside the old lodge. While we were eating, a brown bear ambled from the woods and climbed onto the grill to eat the remains of the salmon! We paid almost $400 PP and it was more every penny.

Beth

[quote name='mobydick']lesa,
we are also going on the island princess on june 25th southbound and i am in the middle of booking the tours. my biggest problem is scheduling both a whale watching with capt. larry and a glacier flight in the short time we have at port. of course we don't want the ship to sail away without us.[/QUOTE]

Your BEST option is to combo book this with Orca Enterprises and Coastal helicopter out of Juneau- they drop off for each other saving an hour shuttle time.

Interesting that no one has mentioned fishing!! My husband went out of Ketchikan and it was his absolute favorite excursion of the trip...it was Sept and the sockeye (I think) were running and everyone limited. It was much cheaper to do this one on his own, rather than through the ship.

If you are in port long enough, you can do both glacier landing and whale watching in Juneau...we worked with coastal helicopters and Capt Larry and they worked out the details. Couldn't have happened if they didn't take us from one to the other without going clear back to town.

I think that with the declining population of fish in Alaskan waters and its direct effect on the wildlife (which everyone wants to see when visiting Alaska) coupled with the fact that the state of Alaska now has seasonal bans on fishing in attempt to replenish the fish population, preserving wildlife is everyone's responsibility.

Ceejay-

We flew fairly low over the glaciers. Not so close that it was scary, but close enought to really see details. We flew up the side of a glacier 'fall' and you could see how the ice cracks as it 'falls' over the edge. We then landed on a fairly flat area and it was so quiet. We walked around and it was very intimidating to peer down into the cracks. We also drank some water out of a glacier stream. This was a once in a lifetime experience.

If you come into the Yukon I am sure you wouldn't regreat it, the scenery is fantastic and there is a good chance to view some wildlife. We went on the yukon horseback with southeast tours to Emerald Lake which was the MOST beautiful color I have ever seen. Would highly recommend to anyone.

All of Alaska has so much to offer it is such a feast for the eyes, if the weather is good...

Enjoy...

• 1 month later...
ceejay-

I don't know if I can explain the difference between the glacier helicopter and the McKinley summit flight very well. The helicopter was much closer to the ice - you could see the crevasses (sp?) and almost feel the cold. The McKinley summit flight was in a small plane so you obviously don't get as close to the ice. Also, McKinley is so big that it is difficult to judge distance. It was just really different. I'm glad we did both. If I HAD to choose, the helicopter might have a slight edge over McKinley, but only slight.

Skagway area rent a car and go to Emerald Lk. We have talked to several people who have done the trip. Also if you are at Emerald Lk. do the Yukon horseback at yukonhorses.com the views of Emerald Lk. is something you will never forget. Have fun.

Skagway area rent a car and go to Emerald Lk. We have talked to several people who have done the trip. Also if you are at Emerald Lk. do the Yukon horseback at yukonhorses.com the views of Emerald Lk. is something you will never forget. Have fun.

Archived