Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Can't blame you! Not nasty at all. I'm interested in this because I doubt I'll take my dog ashore in some of the ports in Central America on our cruise next month. But my husband and I might take turns.

Don't be afraid to take your dog ashore in Central America. We had no trouble on shore at all. Our private tour guide checked out everything with all of the places we were to visit to make sure they were both dog and wheelchair friendly. We used Jorge Ramirez Morales in Costa Rica. He was the most efficient tour company there, always quickly returning my emails. We felt very confident with him. In Panama, Bill took a ship tour to Panama City and the other two locks of the canal. He left the dog on board with me, but said he could have brought him, as there would have been no issues.

As soon as I get the photos downloaded, I will try to post some.

I know that we consistently warn each other about taking our dogs ashore and into some ports but for the most part, either I've been lucky or travels with my dogs have been pretty good.

Horton is VERY intimidating looking and dogs will run in the other direction and, or they will just bark like crazy at him.

He was attacked once by a pit/retriever mix who went right for his face and caught all of us off guard. It was in a private home visit and the person said that their dog was "very friendly", it lunged for Horty and he didn't know what to do and I was stunned, as was the other party.

REMEMBER: Service Dogs are sitting ducks. They have no idea about defending themselves. They're taught to "suck-it-up", be timid, be gentle, don't respond to bad behavior by others, etc., etc.

It's truly our job to protect them and keep them out of harms way!!!!

ALWAYS use your good sense when taking your dog into a strange port or, for that matter, anywhere that you're not familiar with.

Horton's face had a scar on it for a few weeks, until the hair grew over to cover it and I was so thankful. I kicked myself VERY HARD for putting him in harms way and not telling the owner that he should keep his dog back until I'M sure of the situation. I felt so guilty until the scar went away! :(

Don't be afraid to take your dog ashore in Central America. We had no trouble on shore at all. Our private tour guide checked out everything with all of the places we were to visit to make sure they were both dog and wheelchair friendly. We used Jorge Ramirez Morales in Costa Rica. He was the most efficient tour company there, always quickly returning my emails. We felt very confident with him. In Panama, Bill took a ship tour to Panama City and the other two locks of the canal. He left the dog on board with me, but said he could have brought him, as there would have been no issues.

As soon as I get the photos downloaded, I will try to post some.

Do you have contact info for Jorge Ramirez Morales?

thanks, Dianne

Hi everyone. I'm not the boards and this thread. I tried searching the thread but wasn't seeing what I needed.

We are cruising on Carnival to the Bahamas with my Guide dog. I called carnival's guest services but they were no help in finding out what vaccinations and paperwork I need and where to get the paperwork from. We have never cruised before so I'm so confused on animal laws.

I had contacted the USDA but got no answers. Where do I start? Who do I call to get the paperwork and info. We are stopping at Freeport and Nassua.

Also, I'm worried about cabs and restaurants. I'm worried we won't get a cab because of my dog. What are the laws and General attitudes towards service dogs in the Bahamas? Thanks guys!!!!

Hi CruiseMom87 - I'm afraid I am going to be no help whatsoever with your questions, but I'm sure "Her Majesty Roz of Wizard-of-Roz" will fly in on her broomstick very soon, or one of her special subjects will, and help you out. (You just know I'm going to be in trouble for saying this! LOL!).

I just wanted to extend a very warm welcome to you cruisemom87 to our happy dog loving family here on cruise critic. Some of us have service/assistance dogs, some of us puppy raise them, but we all love them! :D

Hi everyone. I'm not the boards and this thread. I tried searching the thread but wasn't seeing what I needed.

We are cruising on Carnival to the Bahamas with my Guide dog. I called carnival's guest services but they were no help in finding out what vaccinations and paperwork I need and where to get the paperwork from. We have never cruised before so I'm so confused on animal laws.

I had contacted the USDA but got no answers. Where do I start? Who do I call to get the paperwork and info. We are stopping at Freeport and Nassua.

Also, I'm worried about cabs and restaurants. I'm worried we won't get a cab because of my dog. What are the laws and General attitudes towards service dogs in the Bahamas? Thanks guys!!!!

CruiseMom87, Welcome to our thread.

First, you will want to speak with your Vet about obtaining an APHIS Form 7001 - United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service - United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals.

My Vet happens to be a USDA Vet and has the form handy when I go for Horton's appointment, which is ALWAYS 3-4 days before I leave for my cruise. You'll want to make sure that you don't make the Vet appointment too far in advance.

The form will contain all the information that MOST foreign ports require. The form will have all the dates of the various vaccinations, treatments and tests done on your dog. The Vet will make sure that everything is current and he/she will sign it.

ALWAYS make at least 3 copies of the form; one to give to registration, one to give to the ship and one to give to immigration. Keep the original with your passport in a safe place. I bring a copy of my most recent Vet check, Avid Microchip Certification, City Dog License, Rabbie's Cert.

Remember; once you're out of the U.S. and on foreign soil ADA does NOT APPLY. No one has to allow you with your dog in anywhere. Unless, you are on a ship sponsored tour and with other passenger and lead tour person, you are at the discretion of whomever you're encountering. They may ask you to leave their restaurant or shop with your dog and you MUST leave.

It's best to catch a Taxi right at the pier when you get off the ship so that they see you're coming from a cruise ship. Some taxi drivers in the various towns don't want your dog in their Taxi. But, if you pay a taxi driver to stay with you as your shopping or come back and get you, they'll usually accommodate you and are pleased to assist you. I do tip them well!

I hope some of this helps. You'll love cruising with your dog. Carnival is very helpful with Service Dogs. Make sure that you check with Guest Services [Purser's Desk] right after you board to see where they've placed the potty box. Once you've made your dog proficient in going potty in a box, traveling becomes a breeze for both of you, especially cruising.

Have fun!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz;

I know you are the maven of "sea dogs", so this may be old hat to you, but I thought of something that happened when I was working the Pride of Aloha out in Hawaii. We received notification from Miami that a passenger was bringing a service dog onboard, and so we built the usual potty box, and filled it with shredded newsprint. Unfortunately, Miami did not pass on the fact that the dog was trained to only go on kitty litter. He had an uncomfortable night until we could get out the next day to buy some litter. So, if someone's partner needs special care, please let both the cruise line, and the ship right at boarding know, so they can do their best to make things perfect.

Thank you so mymuch!

I'd there any specific vaccines needed for the Bahamas?

I read somewhere that there is paperwork that I have to fill out for The Bahamas? Some type of importation paperwork. I'd this true? Where can I find it?

So basically, I get a health certificate, rabies vax, user ID, and what else? We don't have a city dog liscense. I have a signed contract of ownership but the only identification I have is a picture ID issued from The Guide Dog Foundation.

I was also wondering if I could bring on a bag of mulch/dirt for the potty box. Carnival uses pallets and I'm just bot sure Kermit will use them. He uses concrete and grass on command.

Roz;

I know you are the maven of "sea dogs", so this may be old hat to you, but I thought of something that happened when I was working the Pride of Aloha out in Hawaii. We received notification from Miami that a passenger was bringing a service dog onboard, and so we built the usual potty box, and filled it with shredded newsprint. Unfortunately, Miami did not pass on the fact that the dog was trained to only go on kitty litter. He had an uncomfortable night until we could get out the next day to buy some litter. So, if someone's partner needs special care, please let both the cruise line, and the ship right at boarding know, so they can do their best to make things perfect.

Thank you for sharing this. Kitty litter is so messy for our dogs. I've tried it and all they do is track the darn stuff everywhere they go. [and, it gets stuck in between their toes!] Especially Labs/Golden Retrievers who have webbed paws [for swimming], after all they are the "hunting" breed and those webbed toes really come in handy when they're fishing geese from the pond! Yuck!

Cedar mulch is the BEST, covered with artificial turf and you've got the most PERFECT potty box in the world. Lowe's carries it and it lasts a long time.

You can pack-up the turf in a hanging bag and bring it right onboard with you to cover whatever the ship may have to offer. [This works best if you're driving to the port.] You stick the grass in the shower leave it on the patio overnight and repack to take home. Always bring a large garbage bag for transporting it.

Thank you so mymuch!

I'd there any specific vaccines needed for the Bahamas?

I read somewhere that there is paperwork that I have to fill out for The Bahamas? Some type of importation paperwork. I'd this true? Where can I find it?

So basically, I get a health certificate, rabies vax, user ID, and what else? We don't have a city dog liscense. I have a signed contract of ownership but the only identification I have is a picture ID issued from The Guide Dog Foundation.

I was also wondering if I could bring on a bag of mulch/dirt for the potty box. Carnival uses pallets and I'm just bot sure Kermit will use them. He uses concrete and grass on command.

Ask your Vet to find out what is needed for the port you're visiting. The people who work in his/her office can find this out for you.

I hate the pellets and so do our dogs. Especially, if our dogs are Labs or Golden's. Their paws are webbed and the pellets are like knives jabbing into them. Go buy a roll of artificial turf. Get a large garbage bag to transport it in a suitcase or hanging bag. It's cleaner than bringing mulch with you. The grass is a little pricey but it lasts forever. I bought the largest piece of grass at Kahoots Pet Store. I rolled it up, stuck it into a large, black trash bag and brought it onboard to cover the shavings that the ship provided in the box. Horton loves the stuff and so did my first dog Brenda.

The night before the cruise is over I picked up the grass stuck it in the shower to hose it off, layed it on the veranda and in the morning I re-rolled it up to repack into the garbage bag. You can use a few towels to dry it off, as well.

I have used the same artificial turf for over 4 years now. It's really hearty stuff. You can just leave the grass behind but why? The cost is about $45-$100, depending on the size, but again, it's so worth it!!!!![

In answer to your question, yes, you can bring a closed bag of mulch.....not dirt. However, immigration can refuse it if they think that it may have bugs in it.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Our Newf, just a pet, used to go swimming and then bring the sand back to the house in her paws and strip the polish off the linoleum and the polyurethane from the hardwood.

See, that's what I'm talking about!!!! I'd find kitty litter in Brenda's bed, on the couch [where she loved to sleep], in my car [it stays in their paws until you actually bathe them!] It's awful for hunting dogs.

Now, if your Service animal is a cat, that's a whole different story! Good luck with that one!!!! :rolleyes: :p

Hi, CruiseMom87. Just wanted to join in welcoming you. I haven't taken my dog to the Bahamas or on Carnival yet, but others who read this forum have. Try doing a search of this specific thread for Bahamas. I recall some posts about the need to fax a form.

Meanwhile, you can also call the Bahamas embassy and ask their requirements and find out about the form. Such forms usually seem to be a document for "importing a pet" even though you are there less than a day.

You might also want to do a search on this thread for Carnival. You could definitely bring a bag of mulch with you.

It all really sounds confusing but as Roz says, first find the nearest USDA-Certified vet to examine your dog and fill out the APHIs 7001. Take all your dog's health records with you to that appointment.

Then you get that form stamped by the USDA state office (I use overnight mail to my state office since it is far away.)That's the key document you MUST have - form 7001 - (give the state office a copy of the service dog ID and you won't have to pay a fee.) That document is valid for 30 days.

Let us know how it goes.

Celebrity offers sod as an option, and the head office "confirmed" sod by phone 30 days in advance for the relief box on our cruise, but it was mulch when we arrived. Not a big deal. And the Constellation management onboard would not consider any other option but their own chosen location. No problem, a trained service dog can adapt to whatever comes down, but it's something to be aware of.

I think you misunderstood. It isn't our trained service dogs adapting to wherever the box is, it's my having to go through or be around cigarette smoke. I really don't want to be taken off the ship in a medivac because I can't breathe and am turning blue. As for the mulch vs sod... They are trained not to go on mulch because of all our landscaping being covered in mulch. Therefore, their "adapting to whatever it comes down to" isn't going to happen. They would go next to the box before they went on mulch.

Again, I will say; don't overthink it. Cruising with your Service Dog is just another mode of transportation. Get the potty box situated and your done!

Be careful when approaching the potty box on Celebrity, they like to wash down the area early in the morning, before most folks are up and this can make the deck slippery to walk on. Nothing can ruin a cruise faster than a fall on deck!!!! :(

Also, remember, the Hotel Manager is the go-to person when you're unhappy with the placement of the box.

I'll be sure to "make friends" with the hotel manager. Hopefully, it won't be difficult to get the box put near our cabin in the stairwell.

What about using puppy pads in the cabin or on the balcony only at night?

Roz,

I finally got to see all the photos from the Haute Dog Show. Trying to include the link here. Thanks, Beckie

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=7ea1f76837210cfb&sid=0AcM27RqzbNHDkY

Great pictures thanks for sharing. Picture # 7 it looks like the Saint Bernard dog looks like the small dog for a meal. Cute pictures. Susan

LOL - true. That's why I am learning to sew them. Now it's that I have to stay away from Etsy with all the cute ribbon!

We have four styles of Disney Cruise line ribbon, plus a whole lot of Disney themed ribbon. Plus other stuff that is just cute. For example I found the cutest ribbon that is Monopoly (the game) themed. My future dog will probably have a ton of collars.... :rolleyes:

As I said, right now he/she has two and they aren't even here yet.

Ah, Dianne, I feel your pain. I'm still waiting. Probably easier for me as I volunteer with the organization so I get to see dogs every weekend. Hard to not do the "wonder if that one will be mine?" thoughts. But I get to see them and work with them, so that makes waiting easier. I hope you get your partner soon!

I think I would be in trouble if I started making my own!!!! :p Yeah, I have seen lots of awesome ribbon and collars with ribbon on Etsy - too many to choose from!! I am currently trying to choose which bandanna I want to get for my puppy's first birthday and it is tough to decide!

Any news on when you'll be getting your dog?

You need to fill out this form and send it in to the Bahamas in order to obtain their import permit. Note that service dogs are exempt from the $10 fee, so be sure to write on the form that your dog is your service dog!

http://www.bahamas.com/sites/default/files/Bahamas_Application_to_Import_Domestic_Animals_in_TIOTB.pdf

It takes around three months for them to mail back the import permit, but if you need it sooner, they can fax it to you. It is valid for a year, for one entry, so if you go to the Bahamas again later in the year, you will need another permit.

The permit will state all the vaccines needed: rabies, distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, leptospirosis, adenovirus, and coronavirus. They do accept the three-year rabies. Except for rabies, they do accept titers - but leptospirosis only lasts for one year, so you'll need to give that if you haven't done so in the last year. You need a negative fecal float result (do this prior to the health certificate vet appointment if your vet sends it out to a lab, since it will take a day or two for the results - they have always accepted mine done three or four months prior at my dog's annual exam) and your dog must be parasite-free, of course.

Also included with the permit will be a form for your vet to fill out and sign in regards to your dog's microchip number and general health.

Within the 48 hours prior to your trip, you need to go to a USDA-accredited vet (which may be your usual vet, but not all are accredited to be able to do international health certificates, so you will have to ask them) to get the international health certificate and have them fill out the microchip number form I mentioned above.

You DO NOT need to have the health certificate endorsed by your regional USDA office for the Bahamas! Only some countries require that and the Bahamas isn't one of those.

Since you're on a cruise, you don't have to go to a Bahamas vet within 48 hours of arrival for the paperwork to be checked.

To get back in the US, you just need the health certificate, so you're all set!

As for access, the Bahamas doesn't currently have any access laws for service dogs. I go there a lot on land trips and don't really have access issues. Although I haven't taken a taxi in several years, since we rent a car for the duration of our stay, I have never been denied access after educating them about service dogs (what they do, how well they are trained, that my dog will just lay on the floor the entire time, etc.) and at the end of the ride, they love service dogs - and have remembered us when they see us years later! Some people do know about service dogs from TV and movies - I had one gas station attendant who saw my dog in the car and got way too excited to see a service dog in real life - he was yelling to all his fellow attendants about what service dogs do and everything. Pretty funny!

Anyway, if a place doesn't have their own access rules for service dogs (like Atlantis on Paradise Island off of New Providence, where Nassau is - service dogs are allowed basically everywhere on resort grounds that they would be in the US [not in the pools or swimming with the dolphins water, of course]), just calmly educate them, tell them what your dog does for you, tell them how he behaves, tell them how he goes practically everywhere in the US (including mentioning places like theirs, like restaurants for a restaurant), etc. It may take some time and you're not guaranteed access, of course, but it should work.

In looking something else up, I noticed that there seems to be a new form for sending away for the Bahamas import permit, so use this one instead. (I don't know how new this is, but I used the old one this past fall to get my permit for this past January and was never told about the new form. The permit itself was the same as all the previous years.) If your microchip is a different brand than the ones listed on the microchip line, I am not sure if you then put the microchip info. on the "Other Identifier" line or what, since I haven't filled this new form out yet. They give an address for FedEx-ing the form, which I would recommend because I have Bahamian friends who say the postal mail delivery there is not great and always use FedEx (they even use a mail forwarding service that gives them a US address and then they pick up their mail at the service's retail location) - this may or may not get you your permit sooner, as they are still on island time and papers still sit on their desks for a long time.

https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/documents/AGRI_Application%20to%20import%20Domestic%20Animals.pdf