Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

that is just horrible...by the way there are some businesses around here that do allow non-service animals in their stores - Home Depot and Lowes come to mind, and of course Pet Smart and Petco. I am sure most of the pets who enter those establishments are well behaved, but it is something to think about if you have a Service Dog.

Pets are not allowed anywhere food is sold or served. Convenience stores sell food, therefore it is against the health codes for pets to be there. Businesses can get in trouble (including be fined) if found with pets in them if they sell or serve food.

Lowe's corporate policy is that pets are NOT allowed in their stores. If you see a store violating this policy, you can report it to corporate.

Thanks! I just put that on my Amazon Wish List!

BTW, for those who do shop at Amazon, do you know about the Smile Program? You can have most, if not all, of your purchases have an amount go to whatever charity you select. Costs you nothing, but can make a huge difference to your charity.

My SD organization participates and I tend to buy from Amazon often, so it's a win-win.

All you have to do is look to see if whatever charity you like is listed.

Holly

The collar came yesterday and it is nice! I didn't take it out of the plastic bag it came in (it is for my puppy, of course, not my retired dog), but did push the light's button to turn it on. It has two blinking modes, one faster than the other, and a steady-on mode, plus off, of course. The light is nice and bright - plenty visible in daylight, but really nice in the dark. From the photos, I thought you wouldn't really be able to see the Pluto image when the light is on, but you can actually see it very well with the light on, even in the dark! I love it! Now I just need my pup to finish training (in the fall) and figure out when I can get to Disney next!! I am sooooo longing to see the new Fantasyland, since I haven't been since it opened!

I shop via Amazon Smile for St. Jude's Research Hospital (cancer hospital for children). Amazon gives such a tiny amount from each person, but every penny counts for those kids!

Not directly dealing with cruising with a SD directly...but I have a question for the teams here.

Did you feel like an absolute klutz when first working with your dog?

Yes, and that includes working with a new dog even after you've had a service dog for years. It isn't just the dogs that require training! Don't worry, you will eventually "click" and become a great team instead of two separate individual beings - it is kinda like a marriage, I guess! :p

Congratulations, Holly and Jagger! Yay! So exciting!

How long do the trainers think it will be before he comes to live with you?

I've been smiling at Beckie's Gibson story and Diana's question. I remember after trainer Carrie left our house to fly home after a week of intensive training. Raylene and I looked at each other, and she had that "worried Lab" look (to quote Fairbourne.) We have a photo of her on the "blankie" she arrived with, ears drooping, big eyes, realizing she's stuck with me and clearly missing "Mama Carrie."

But that won't happen for Holly because she's already part of Jagger's human family!

Congratulations, Holly and Jagger! Yay! So exciting!

How long do the trainers think it will be before he comes to live with you?

We have a photo of her on the "blankie" she arrived with, ears drooping, big eyes, realizing she's stuck with me and clearly missing "Mama Carrie."

But that won't happen for Holly because she's already part of Jagger's human family!

It must be hard at first for the transference for some of the dogs.

I'm not sure when Jagger will come to live with me. I think at least four to six months. Much depends on MY working with him. I get to see him at least once or twice a week. I am now doing the puppy classes with him each weekend, and I go when I can for some one-on-one training with him.

He still is young. If I were a little more physically capable, I'd take him now and work on training at home, and going to the classes. So I think it will depend upon when I am capable. His trainer has already done a great job with him (and continues to do so).

Now it's my working with him for him to do that transference and want to do the commands I give him. After all, he sort of looks at me and thinks, "but you aren't my Daddy!"

Introducing: Me and Jagger!

jaggernme.jpg

Oh my, that boy dog loves his future "MUM"!!! :D.

He's a big lad isn't he! - that is a very familiar pose with Aruba and me when we have a cuddle! LOL! and there is nothing quite like a doggy cuddle! :D

Our friemds came at the weekend and they brought the latest addition to their doggy family - an 8 week old cross chihuahua/Chinese crested ( bald ) puppy. Rupert is the size of a large bell pepper and weighs 500 grams, and has absolutely no hair but huge ears. Aruba couldn't believe her eyes!

But she was so good and gentle with him, bearing in mind her paw is about the same size as him! She lay down beside him and he was climbing all over her, I think he was trying to find something to suckle on! He was so out of luck there! ::rolleyes: but he has such fun chewing her ears and swinging off them! She didn't mind at all, which I was very impressed with.

Because he's so tiny and hairless he has to wear clothes, and they're struggling to find really cute teeny doggy clothes here in the UK. Can any of you help suggest a company they could buy online from? I know Pedro has quite an extensive wardrobe - Cindra where do you get his outfits from? Mind you Pedro is a giant compared to Rupert! LOL!

Oh my, that boy dog loves his future "MUM"!!! :D.

He's a big lad isn't he! - that is a very familiar pose with Aruba and me when we have a cuddle! LOL! and there is nothing quite like a doggy cuddle! :D

But she was so good and gentle with him, bearing in mind her paw is about the same size as him! She lay down beside him and he was climbing all over her, I think he was trying to find something to suckle on! He was so out of luck there! ::rolleyes: but he has such fun chewing her ears and swinging off them! She didn't mind at all, which I was very impressed with.

!

Oh, I'd have loved to see Aruba and the puppy! It is funny how they know they are babies. I remember when I took my parent's dog Bear to the dog park and there was a toy Yorkie puppy. He looked at me like "WHAT is that?!" But he knew it was a baby and was so gentle.

The organization where I go really likes the dog to pick their person. Jagger LOVES people, but he'd run to me first. I feel so lucky and honored...and emotional about it. :o

PS: I'll scope out some tiny dog clothes today.

Edited by thephantomsgirl

Thank you so much for these. Oh my goodness just as well I have three great big dogs you don't dress up! LOL!

I've sent them on with an express warning attached to the second website that they are not to buy any more teacup puppies - they are so cute - but I'm sure they won't ship them to the UK! ;):D.

I do have some photos of Aruba with teeny Rupert and I will post a couple for you to see. But first it's tea-time - dogs and humans! LOL!

Just curious, do you know the exact day you will be transiting the Panama Canal next year?

Edited by fairbourne

I know...it's so hard to look at dog clothes and go..."oh but that would be so cute".

We do dress up the service dogs a bit for parades and stuff. You just KNOW I will dress Jagger up for Halloween as Mick Jagger with the Maroon 5 song playing in the background. (Moves like Jagger)

I will be going through the Panama Canal on May 7, 2016. :)

Holly

Edited by thephantomsgirl

Hi all, I'm after hints and tips for our first cruise with ncl please. Me, my hubby and my mother in law are doing a 10 night Caribbean cruise in nov. Carole is registered blind and hasn't been out of the UK before. She doesn't read Braille and doesn't have a service dog. We want to make sure the holiday is as fun for her as us. Thanks in advance :-)

OMD, Holly! You will have your hands full with that boy dog! Our Reno was a yellow lab and weighed in at 110 lbs. He was huge at 6 months!

Hi Deb, it has been many moons since we cruised on NCL so I will be of no help. Others will show up soon and can probably help you out.

Hi all, I'm after hints and tips for our first cruise with ncl please. Me, my hubby and my mother in law are doing a 10 night Caribbean cruise in nov. Carole is registered blind and hasn't been out of the UK before. She doesn't read Braille and doesn't have a service dog. We want to make sure the holiday is as fun for her as us. Thanks in advance :-)

Welcome over here! :). If nothing else, you'll read some funny doggy stories and see some cute pups!

I hope someone will come along soon and tell you about NCL - it's not a line I've been on.

Are you also looking for information regarding accessibility for your MIL at the ports you will be visiting? Maybe if you listed the ports, someone may well have been there, even if not on NCL?

Of course, you just know that we will very soon be suggesting to your MIL that she gets a guide dog! ;):D

I love these links!! Thanks for posting them. I have already pinned them to Pedro's Pinterest page.

I am anxiously awaiting the naval tuxedo I ordered from overseas for Pedro. I may save it for the Captain's Circle party...or maybe Christmas dinner. It's so stinking cute! I know, I'm obsessed...:rolleyes:

I have to say that dressing Pedro for dinner each night, we got so many compliments. Seeing him brought so much joy and many smiles to faces around the ship. That's service!;)

Cindra

Last week, I emailed the CC gods about developing a database for dog entry into the different islands/countries. Here was the response I got...

"My suggestion would be a write-protected (Password protected?) google doc linked to a specific thread for this purpose"

Can someone translate this for me...? Does anyone know how to do this?

Oh, by the way, does anyone know when Roz is due back?

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

Hi Roz,

I need help in finding out everything I need to be allowed to take my service animal into Mexico. I know I need a Health Certificate signed by the USDA in Sacramento 10 days before we cruise. We also need to have proof of Toby being wormed, de-ticked and flea control. I have conflicting information from different sources. Someone will tell me that I need to take a Public Access Test for Toby to become a certified service dog and then someone will tell me I don't need it. Then I just had a trainer tell me that Public Access Tests are for Therapy dogs that go into hospitals for patient enjoyment and that she has never heard of anyone needing their service animal certified. I need an Aphis form and a simple health certificate signed by the USDA, dewormer, detick and deflea control. What else or do I need to stress over how to get Toby certified. I have a doctors note that I get updated every year that I require a service animal and a "certificate" from a training facility by Pismo Beach, Doggie Do Good in Arroyo Grande stating that Toby completed 5 weeks of training from them. He had to stay there for 5 weeks and I couldn't see him because the trainers said it might change what they already had fine tuned. I hired a trainer who trained Toby from 6 weeks to almost a year and then he went to Doggie Do Good to fine tune what he already learned and work on things I was not able to get him to be consistent on. HELP! I don't know how this works but my user name is Tobys_mom_2013 Thank you very much and look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by Help@
removed phone and email

Welcome Toby's Mom

Roz will be home soon from her cruise and be able to help you, but others may come along in the meantime with help and advice.

BUT, Please, please, I would suggest that you edit your post and take your email out and absolutely delete your phone number - you don't want to get spam and dodgy, unwanted calls! If you can't or don't know how to do it, contact the Moderators and ask them to do it for you. ( There is a little red triangle at the top right side of the posts, click on that.)

Edited by fairbourne

Welcome Toby's Mom

Roz will be home soon from her cruise and be able to help you, but others may come along in the meantime with help and advice.

BUT, Please, please, I would suggest that you edit your post and take your email out and absolutely delete your phone number - you don't want to get spam and dodgy, unwanted calls! If you can't or don't know how to do it, contact the Moderators and ask them to do it for you. ( There is a little red triangle at the top right side of the posts, click on that.)

But now you have quoted her post even if she edits they remain as quotes in yours you may need to edit your post and take them out of the quote.

Last week, I emailed the CC gods about developing a database for dog entry into the different islands/countries. Here was the response I got...

"My suggestion would be a write-protected (Password protected?) google doc linked to a specific thread for this purpose"

Can someone translate this for me...? Does anyone know how to do this?

Oh, by the way, does anyone know when Roz is due back?

Cindra

Aaawww, have you missed your Aunty Roz? ;):D:p LOL!

As for the suggestion from the "CC Gods", I have no idea how you would do this! I've seen people have this on their roll call for everyone's information that people just click on the link from a post, but I've no idea how it's created. That would mean I think that one person would have to be responsible for it. Anyway that wouldn't really keep the information to the front, as it would get lost in the post it was in, and we would be back to people having to trawl through to find the information. Or someone would have to have the link on all of their posts?

I think we are hoping to have something at the top of the thread, like the Sticky suggestion, for easy access to information.