Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hope everyone is well. I havent been able to type but I have been lurking. :eek:

Quick updates, My son got engaged and is getting married May 14th. Very exciting!!

Our house at the beach got cancelled because two of the couples backed out when it was time to put down a deposit. Not cool!! :mad: We have been pretty upset about it, so we just had to book a cruise! :D

New ship, new line, new airport, inside cabin,( which we are alittle nervous about) and no kids to help. I'm alittle shaky on it, but we will manage.

Heres a pic of the cute couple!!

Cindy

Cute couple. sometimes it's not right for a vacation. We tried for a cruise for next fall, decided to cancel for various reasons. Susan also a lurker

Edited by Host Walt
Fix the quote command

Well Its official, I'm an idiot! I have been trying for months to figure out how to use CC on my new smartphone. Unfortunately the phone is much smarter than me. Yesterday I finally firgured it out. Wasn't totally my fault. The login doesnt say sign in, it says "join". Well I never clicked on it because im already a member. :confused: When you click on join, then it says sign in or join. DUHHHHH Why didnt it just say that in the first place.

Hope everyone is well. I havent been able to type but I have been lurking. :eek:

Quick updates, My son got engaged and is getting married May 14th. Very exciting!!

Our house at the beach got cancelled because two of the couples backed out when it was time to put down a deposit. Not cool!! :mad: We have been pretty upset about it, so we just had to book a cruise! :D

New ship, new line, new airport, inside cabin,( which we are alittle nervous about) and no kids to help. I'm alittle shaky on it, but we will manage.

Heres a pic of the cute couple!!

Cindy

Congratulations on your son's engagement. Being the mother of the groom is the best - not too much to do, but so much to enjoy.

Dianne

Congratulations on the engagement!

And so glad to see the photo of Henri!

I hear Jagger is doing well at college. Misses me as he wouldn't eat, but they tempted him with different food. I didn't get to see him this last weekend due to an unscheduled hospital stay (I am fine now). My Mom will drive me out this Saturday if I am well enough. I can't wait to see him!

I also heard from the young woman who puppy raised him for quite a while. So nice to hear about him as a puppy and see all the photos. She had to turn him in early as she got transferred to CT, and didn't think she could properly care for him. So then he ended up back at the ranch with one of the trainers and then with me.

I love all the photos of your dogs. And I can't wait to hear all about the cruise! (I know I'm not naming people who posted what but my brain is still fuzzy...)

Holly

Hi everyone.

Phew just about catching up with real life again after our lovely cruise. Still got to sort out a few photos for you.

Anyway ......we need a fanfare, trumpet roll, some of Aunty Nancy's pawtastic doggy welcomes, 'coz the days of puppy antics and puppy naughtiness are about to descend into the Fairbourne household again!

We heard today that a little yellow girl lab/retriever cross, called ....... Ah ha, I couldn't believe it when I heard her name. She's not named after a Caribbean island, but much much closer to home, especially for a certain lovely lady on here who moves with Jagger! :D:D

Oh yes, we are to have our own H O L L Y!!! How great is that! Holly, I know you've not been feeling well and missing your boy, but I hope this news of little puppy Holly will make you smile.

No photos yet, but she's coming to Scotland last week in September and home to us soon thereafter!

I can't wait. So better get all those jobs done around the house I need to get done before she arrives.

Latest on Aruba is she's doing well and she's made sure everyone knows she loves her cuddles! Hoping to see her on Saturday. :D

We had a very busy weekend. We had the rehearsal dinner here at our house on Friday and our son got married on Saturday. Henri was the most popular guest at the wedding - everyone wanted to say hi to her and take her picture. Here is a picture of Henri making friends with the flower girl. She had a special lace collar with a rhinestone.

Dianne

cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw%201_zpsjj8m0vkp.jpg

What a fabulous photo .... Love it, Henri reminds me so much of Aruba, she loved to get down and cuddle with the youngsters as well.

Hi everyone.

P

We heard today that a little yellow girl lab/retriever cross, called ....... Ah ha, I couldn't believe it when I heard her name. She's not named after a Caribbean island, but much much closer to home, especially for a certain lovely lady on here who moves with Jagger! :D:D [\quote]

I am so glad to hear Aruba is doing well!! And glad you'll get to see her on Saturday.

And oh, my! A dog named Holly! I'm going to love hearing all about her. :)

I'm slowly getting better. It kicked my butt, but it's going to be all right.

And my mom is going to drive me out to see my Jagger on Saturday!

Holly (the other one!)

Hi everyone.

Phew just about catching up with real life again after our lovely cruise. Still got to sort out a few photos for you.

Anyway ......we need a fanfare, trumpet roll, some of Aunty Nancy's pawtastic doggy welcomes, 'coz the days of puppy antics and puppy naughtiness are about to descend into the Fairbourne household again!

We heard today that a little yellow girl lab/retriever cross, called ....... Ah ha, I couldn't believe it when I heard her name. She's not named after a Caribbean island, but much much closer to home, especially for a certain lovely lady on here who moves with Jagger! :D:D

Oh yes, we are to have our own H O L L Y!!! How great is that! Holly, I know you've not been feeling well and missing your boy, but I hope this news of little puppy Holly will make you smile.

No photos yet, but she's coming to Scotland last week in September and home to us soon thereafter!

I can't wait. So better get all those jobs done around the house I need to get done before she arrives.

Latest on Aruba is she's doing well and she's made sure everyone knows she loves her cuddles! Hoping to see her on Saturday. :D

Congrats fairbourne!! As Burl Ives would say... Your gonna have a Holly Jolly Christmas!! Can't wait to see pictures.

Congratulations on the engagement!

And so glad to see the photo of Henri!

I hear Jagger is doing well at college. Misses me as he wouldn't eat, but they tempted him with different food. I didn't get to see him this last weekend due to an unscheduled hospital stay (I am fine now). My Mom will drive me out this Saturday if I am well enough. I can't wait to see him!

I also heard from the young woman who puppy raised him for quite a while. So nice to hear about him as a puppy and see all the photos. She had to turn him in early as she got transferred to CT, and didn't think she could properly care for him. So then he ended up back at the ranch with one of the trainers and then with me.

I love all the photos of your dogs. And I can't wait to hear all about the cruise! (I know I'm not naming people who posted what but my brain is still fuzzy...)

Holly

Holly, I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't well. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you're your usual perky self very soon! ♥

Cute couple. sometimes it's not right for a vacation. We tried for a cruise for next fall, decided to cancel for various reasons. Susan also a lurker

Susan, I hope that you do give cruising a chance. There may be ports that are NOT dog or wheel chair friendly but you make other arrangements and I promise, staying onboard a wonderful, 5 Star floating hotel, while everyone else is off, can be the funnist part of your whole vacation!

Hi everyone.

Auntie Roz is very excited and happy to hear about Holly. Wait til she sees the big dark furry brother and sister waiting for her. What's going to be so cute is seeing her fur and their fur all mixed all over each other.

Fairbourne, I'm so happy for you and your beautiful family. Holly is a very lucky little girl, indeed!

I can't wait to see pictures.

I'm also so glad to hear that Aruba is doing well. I know you can't wait to see her. Do you get to interact with her? They'd have to hold me back with armed guard!!!!!

I'm glad your cruise was a good one and welcome home!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi everyone.

That's great news! I can't wait to see pictures of Holly. Glad to hear that Aruba is doing well, I bet you can't wait to see her this weekend.

Dianne

Hi everyone.

P

We heard today that a little yellow girl lab/retriever cross, called ....... Ah ha, I couldn't believe it when I heard her name. She's not named after a Caribbean island, but much much closer to home, especially for a certain lovely lady on here who moves with Jagger! :D:D [\quote]

I am so glad to hear Aruba is doing well!! And glad you'll get to see her on Saturday.

And oh, my! A dog named Holly! I'm going to love hearing all about her. :)

I'm slowly getting better. It kicked my butt, but it's going to be all right.

And my mom is going to drive me out to see my Jagger on Saturday!

Holly (the other one!)

Glad to hear that you are feeling better Holly. Some Jagger hugs and kisses this weekend will be just the thing you need!

Dianne

Oh Holly you did get the best medicine ever ....l!

Well, we got a few cuddles yesterday too!

We were not sure we would see Aruba and some had said to us "oh they won't let you see her!" Huh, I thought, we will see about that!

Anyway, we met her trainer who told us that Aruba was on the list for some display work, however my it turned out she was taken to the area where they were letting members of the public do "blind fold" walks with the trainee dogs.

And let me tell you, timing was everything! We hot footed it through the crowds to this spot and yes there were dogs, but no sign of our Aruba. So rather conveniently, the tea tent was nearby (there is always a jolly good tea tent with usually not very nice tea or coffee but always with delicious home bakes) so armed with cups of hot tea and yummy shortbread we positioned ourselves waiting for a change out of dogs.

Our patience paid off and just as the DH wandered over to see what was happening, who should arrive but Missy Aruba! At this point I wasn't aware of this and she was so excited to see him, she naughtily jumped up on him! ;). Anyway she was working with a trainer from another centre and DH explained we were her puppy walkers (trying to excuse her behaviour!).

So he ran and fetched me and I spent the next 20 minutes hiding behind trees and bushes watching her as I did not want to distract her from her work. I was keeping out of her line of sight too! I was so impressed with my self control as I just wanted to jump the fence and grab her!

As I was chatting to the chap who had just been walking with her, she suddenly appeared with the trainer and the trainer explained that she just knew I was there and she wanted to get the cuddles out of the way, so work could continue. Oh boy was I a happy bunny. I think poor Aruba was quite bemused and confused with all,the crowds and there suddenly was "mum"!

So then the trainer said, "come on puppy walker mum, you come and do a blind fold walk with her". I didn't need to be asked twice.

It felt quite strange at first holding the harness and she was distracted with it being me on the end of it of course, but she led me around the course quite well - I think I was quite amazed at how much she's learnt so far in just a few weeks.

I have some lovely photos of her but I need to work out how to upload them from my phone! That's tomorrow project. But I just wanted to tell you all that she's well, she's looking good and apart from not really liking the kennel life, she's absolutely fine. She needs a bit of a kick start to get going, apparently! But Once she's out and working, she's doing all the trainers ask her to.

I was as high as a kite for the rest of the day as we had resigned ourselves to the fact that we might not see her, but hey, it was so much better than we could have hoped for.

Oh and it was a total puppy and dog fest - there were hundreds of supporters and pups of all ages with working guide dogs and retired old pups too! They also did a sponsored walk for pet dogs and they were also mingling with everyone. It was great fun, Guidr Dogs did a fabulous job. I hope they raised lots of money.

Oh Holly you did get the best medicine ever ....l!

Well, we got a few cuddles yesterday too!

We were not sure we would see Aruba and some had said to us "oh they won't let you see her!" Huh, I thought, we will see about that!

Anyway, we met her trainer who told us that Aruba was on the list for some display work, however my it turned out she was taken to the area where they were letting members of the public do "blind fold" walks with the trainee dogs.

And let me tell you, timing was everything! We hot footed it through the crowds to this spot and yes there were dogs, but no sign of our Aruba. So rather conveniently, the tea tent was nearby (there is always a jolly good tea tent with usually not very nice tea or coffee but always with delicious home bakes) so armed with cups of hot tea and yummy shortbread we positioned ourselves waiting for a change out of dogs.

Our patience paid off and just as the DH wandered over to see what was happening, who should arrive but Missy Aruba! At this point I wasn't aware of this and she was so excited to see him, she naughtily jumped up on him! ;). Anyway she was working with a trainer from another centre and DH explained we were her puppy walkers (trying to excuse her behaviour!).

So he ran and fetched me and I spent the next 20 minutes hiding behind trees and bushes watching her as I did not want to distract her from her work. I was keeping out of her line of sight too! I was so impressed with my self control as I just wanted to jump the fence and grab her!

As I was chatting to the chap who had just been walking with her, she suddenly appeared with the trainer and the trainer explained that she just knew I was there and she wanted to get the cuddles out of the way, so work could continue. Oh boy was I a happy bunny. I think poor Aruba was quite bemused and confused with all,the crowds and there suddenly was "mum"!

So then the trainer said, "come on puppy walker mum, you come and do a blind fold walk with her". I didn't need to be asked twice.

It felt quite strange at first holding the harness and she was distracted with it being me on the end of it of course, but she led me around the course quite well - I think I was quite amazed at how much she's learnt so far in just a few weeks.

I have some lovely photos of her but I need to work out how to upload them from my phone! That's tomorrow project. But I just wanted to tell you all that she's well, she's looking good and apart from not really liking the kennel life, she's absolutely fine. She needs a bit of a kick start to get going, apparently! But Once she's out and working, she's doing all the trainers ask her to.

I was as high as a kite for the rest of the day as we had resigned ourselves to the fact that we might not see her, but hey, it was so much better than we could have hoped for.

Oh and it was a total puppy and dog fest - there were hundreds of supporters and pups of all ages with working guide dogs and retired old pups too! They also did a sponsored walk for pet dogs and they were also mingling with everyone. It was great fun, Guidr Dogs did a fabulous job. I hope they raised lots of money.

I had a tear in my eye too reading this. So glad that you got to visit and cuddle with Aruba.

Dianne

I got the best ever medicine! They let me take Jagger home for the weekend. :)

He's been such a cuddle bug and I can tell he's so happy to be home with us.

jaggerteaserball.jpg

Dogs are the best medicine, I know how happy you must have been to see him!

We met a man while we were out today that had lost his 17 year-old lab this week. We let him cuddle Henri all he wanted, he thanked me so much. Henri did her best, giving him lots of love and kisses - I think she knew he needed it.

Dianne