Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have a question that I thought someone here could answer. Our neighbor has started (on her second dog) taking in young black labs (one at a time) and keeping them for a few months (not sure, but it seems like 6 months). These are supposedly being raised to be a service dog. The question is that she puts them in an outside fenced kennel on the back patio where they sit and bark all day long. First this seems a little cruel to me and it's very irritating to neighbors (us:o). I've never said anything because I believe that you should always do everything possible to get along with neighbors. After all, unless you want to move, you have to live with them:rolleyes: So, does this sound normal to you? I really have no idea what goes into the raising of a service dog.

Canine Companions for Independence [CCI] Breeds and PuppyRaises their own dogs for future training. Of course it is with the help of many employees and volunteers. Their puppies in training are treated with great respect and love.

If the dog your seeing is around 6 months old, this woman could be a PuppyRaiser, that said, she would NEVER be allowed, by any Organization that I know, to keep the puppy in an outside kennel and the pup would NEVER be allowed to get to the point where it would whine or bark incessantly. This serves no purpose, other than to frustrate the pup and be annoying to others.

If I witnessed a young pup being kept in an outside kennel and disturbing the neighbors because it's so unhappy being penned-up and alone, I'd call the ASPCA. This is cruel treatment and should be reported.

I have a question that I thought someone here could answer. Our neighbor has started (on her second dog) taking in young black labs (one at a time) and keeping them for a few months (not sure, but it seems like 6 months). These are supposedly being raised to be a service dog. The question is that she puts them in an outside fenced kennel on the back patio where they sit and bark all day long. First this seems a little cruel to me and it's very irritating to neighbors (us:o). I've never said anything because I believe that you should always do everything possible to get along with neighbors. After all, unless you want to move, you have to live with them:rolleyes: So, does this sound normal to you? I really have no idea what goes into the raising of a service dog.

Hi - thanks for your question - I am sure our resident puppy-raisers DKD and Fairbourne will be along shortly to tell you the scoop, but what your neighbor is doing does not sound like the real deal to me.

My family and I are puppy raisers for Canine Companions for Independence and are on our third puppy. We get the puppies at 8 weeks old and raise them for 16 to 18 months. We NEVER leave the pups outside all day. We also have to teach them NOT to bark unless on command. There would be nothing worse than a service dog barking at everything out in public. They are taught to "speak" so that if someone with a service dog needs to get someones attention, they tell the dog to speak. If it were me, I would call Animal Control and have them check out the situation.

Thank you all for the responses. It didn't sound like a good way to raise a service dog but I really didn't have any facts on the matter. As for reporting her, hmm, well, I don't think she is breaking any laws (dog has food and water and seems to get at least as good care as a shelter would give). As you all, I would never keep a dog that way.

Thank you all for the responses. It didn't sound like a good way to raise a service dog but I really didn't have any facts on the matter. As for reporting her, hmm, well, I don't think she is breaking any laws (dog has food and water and seems to get at least as good care as a shelter would give). As you all, I would never keep a dog that way.

That's not for you to decide. Call animal control and have them come out when the dog is left outside and let them make the determination. It's their job.

Clint, it bothered you enough to bring it to this board. Your fear of ruffling this person's feathers at the expense of this puppy is not a good idea.

PLEASE call the ASPCA in your area and they'll advise you further.

Oh joy....Gainesville sounds like they have no idea of what they are doing!

When it's time for my cruise, that's where I have to go and like you, it's a two and a half hours.

Okay, some places don't require the USDA certification, just the form filled out by an USDA accredited vet. The Bahamas do not seem to require the USDA office certification.

From what I can see the Turks and Caicos do require a titer test, plus a tick and tapeworm certificate.

I know titer tests are expensive, but $500?!!!!

Auntie Roz? Do you know?

The Bahamas requires a form https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/documents/AGRI_APPLICATION%20TO%20IMPORT%20DOMESTIC%20ANIMALS%20INTO%20THE%20BAHAMAS%20amended.pdf make sure you write service dog at the top and theres no charge. Faxing is the best, cuz they take forver to send it back and cant claim they never got it.

Cindy

The Bahamas requires a form https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/documents/AGRI_APPLICATION%20TO%20IMPORT%20DOMESTIC%20ANIMALS%20INTO%20THE%20BAHAMAS%20amended.pdf make sure you write service dog at the top and theres no charge. Faxing is the best, cuz they take forver to send it back and cant claim they never got it.

Cindy

Thank you Auntie Cindy ♥ ♥ ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Just wanted to pass on some excellent customer service. I ordered some powdered NuPro dietary supplement for Raylene from Chewy.com.

When I opened the box yesterday, I discovered that the container lid apparently was not tightly sealed, so half the powder had sifted out into the box (and then scattered from out the little corner holes of the box.)

I sent an email to Chewy's customer service around 4:30 p.m., had an apologetic reply within a half hour, with a replacement already sent to me at no cost. Very nice to be taken care of so quickly.

Hope everybody had a good weekend - we had house guests visiting from the U.S. Virgin Islands, so did lots of shopping! (We know from our years there how shopping-deprived residents can get.) The four of us (5 counting Raylene) have booked another cruise together for winter 2017!

Just wanted to pass on some excellent customer service. I ordered some powdered NuPro dietary supplement for Raylene from Chewy.com.

When I opened the box yesterday, I discovered that the container lid apparently was not tightly sealed, so half the powder had sifted out into the box (and then scattered from out the little corner holes of the box.)

I sent an email to Chewy's customer service around 4:30 p.m., had an apologetic reply within a half hour, with a replacement already sent to me at no cost. Very nice to be taken care of so quickly.

Hope everybody had a good weekend - we had house guests visiting from the U.S. Virgin Islands, so did lots of shopping! (We know from our years there how shopping-deprived residents can get.) The four of us (5 counting Raylene) have booked another cruise together for winter 2017!

I use Chewy too and they have very good customer service. Congratulations on booking your 2017 cruise!

Dianne

We had a very busy weekend. We had the rehearsal dinner here at our house on Friday and our son got married on Saturday. Henri was the most popular guest at the wedding - everyone wanted to say hi to her and take her picture. Here is a picture of Henri making friends with the flower girl. She had a special lace collar with a rhinestone.

Dianne

cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw%201_zpsjj8m0vkp.jpg

Edited by DUTRAVEL

Well Its official, I'm an idiot! I have been trying for months to figure out how to use CC on my new smartphone. Unfortunately the phone is much smarter than me. Yesterday I finally firgured it out. Wasn't totally my fault. The login doesnt say sign in, it says "join". Well I never clicked on it because im already a member. :confused: When you click on join, then it says sign in or join. DUHHHHH Why didnt it just say that in the first place.

Hope everyone is well. I havent been able to type but I have been lurking. :eek:

Quick updates, My son got engaged and is getting married May 14th. Very exciting!!

Our house at the beach got cancelled because two of the couples backed out when it was time to put down a deposit. Not cool!! :mad: We have been pretty upset about it, so we just had to book a cruise! :D

New ship, new line, new airport, inside cabin,( which we are alittle nervous about) and no kids to help. I'm alittle shaky on it, but we will manage.

Heres a pic of the cute couple!!

Cindy

IMG_0183.jpg.5b5e6e3c9f12e38361a45aa2593e97d5.jpg

It's good hear that "customer service" is alive and well! I'm going to check out their website.

We had a very busy weekend. We had the rehearsal dinner here at our house on Friday and our son got married on Saturday. Henri was the most popular guest at the wedding - everyone wanted to say hi to her and take her picture. Here is a picture of Henri making friends with the flower girl. She had a special lace collar with a rhinestone.

Dianne

cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw%201_zpsjj8m0vkp.jpg

Dianne, congratulations. Henri is such a beautiful girl. You're both very lucky to have each other!

Well Its official, I'm an idiot! I have been trying for months to figure out how to use CC on my new smartphone. Unfortunately the phone is much smarter than me. Yesterday I finally firgured it out. Wasn't totally my fault. The login doesnt say sign in, it says "join". Well I never clicked on it because im already a member. :confused: When you click on join, then it says sign in or join. DUHHHHH Why didnt it just say that in the first place.

Hope everyone is well. I havent been able to type but I have been lurking. :eek:

Quick updates, My son got engaged and is getting married May 14th. Very exciting!!

Our house at the beach got cancelled because two of the couples backed out when it was time to put down a deposit. Not cool!! :mad: We have been pretty upset about it, so we just had to book a cruise! :D

New ship, new line, new airport, inside cabin,( which we are alittle nervous about) and no kids to help. I'm alittle shaky on it, but we will manage.

Heres a pic of the cute couple!!

Cindy

Cindy, congratulations on many levels. First, on your son's engagement and then on booking a cruise and figuring out your phone and a great picture of the darling couple [who cares if it's sideways], I know how to turn my head!

Dkd any info on taking the dog to Tortola? Should we even bother getting off with him?

Tortola is not very dog friendly. We had no problem is the little shops that are right when you get off the ship but in "town" was another story. First of all, it's not easy with a wheelchair. The sidewalks and roads are in bad shape. When we got to one of the big stores, we were told we had to leave with the dog. If I ever went back to Tortola (not likely) I would not get off the ship. Plus, I think it was Tortola that we needed the Tider (sp) test.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad