Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi,

I have enjoyed reading through this thread. I will be taking my first cruise with my Diabetic Alert Dog (DAD) next month. Jake has been on a couple of smaller vessels on a dolphin watch but not overnight. We have been practising with a potty box but he does not like mulch, prefers the grass. I have learned a lot reading this thread and feel we are fairly prepared. We have been on many long road trips, so we are use to packing all his needed supplies. Thanks for all the post!

Welcome to you and Jake. Although I have also done a fair amount of traveling with my Service Dog Henri, I am taking my first cruise with her in October. I am lucky that she will go on any surface. Have you tried giving him lots of praise and rewarding him for using the mulch?

I was at a CCI event yesterday, where our local DAD organization gave a talk and demonstration. Those dogs are amazing!

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL

Usually there is a cover charge for the pet(s) or some sort of a deposit. Service Dogs do NOT need to pay a cover charge or a deposit, ever!

You said, "I have a SD In-Training." If this were NOT a dog friendly hotel they would NOT have to allow your dog-in-training, since dogs-in-training do NOT have the same rights that fully-trained SD's have.

Remember, you NEVER have to "warn" or otherwise let the hotel know that you're bringing your SD. I let the airlines know because usually I'm requesting bulk-head seating for mine and my dogs comfort!

Don't burst my bubble please, Ms. Roz. It is a bad enough two weeks. I was simply excited to find a place so accommodating. I know Scooter won't have full rights until he and I pass the access test sometime next year. And I know the rights are mine, that I get to bring him along once his training is complete. The lady on the phone was just so nice I wanted to cry after a rough day, particularly since he is still going to be in training. I was prepared to pay and they said I didn't have to and I was excited. Compared to all the stories from people who get told their fully trained SDS are not welcome, to be told my pup in training was welcome was a relief.

Don't burst my bubble please, Ms. Roz. It is a bad enough two weeks. I was simply excited to find a place so accommodating. I know Scooter won't have full rights until he and I pass the access test sometime next year. And I know the rights are mine, that I get to bring him along once his training is complete. The lady on the phone was just so nice I wanted to cry after a rough day, particularly since he is still going to be in training. I was prepared to pay and they said I didn't have to and I was excited. Compared to all the stories from people who get told their fully trained SDS are not welcome, to be told my pup in training was welcome was a relief.

Barb, I'm so sorry if I sounded punitive in any way. No bursting bubbles from me. :) ♥

You felt good about your experience and I'm very glad for you and please accept my apologies for ever making you feel bad in any way [That Mommy in me always butts-in, sometimes too much]!!!!!

You and Scooter are on the right path and don't stop thinking positively about that path.

We get enough negativity from the outside world, we certainly don't need it from each other.........Keep going forward!!!!!! ;)

Barb, I'm so sorry if I sounded punitive in any way. No bursting bubbles from me. :) ♥

You felt good about your experience and I'm very glad for you and please accept my apologies for ever making you feel bad in any way [That Mommy in me always butts-in, sometimes too much]!!!!!

You and Scooter are on the right path and don't stop thinking positively about that path.

We get enough negativity from the outside world, we certainly don't need it from each other.........Keep going forward!!!!!! ;)

Hugs, Mama Roz. It is a rough week, and I may be a little overly sensitive on top of it.

Hugs, Mama Roz. It is a rough week, and I may be a little overly sensitive on top of it.

Well deserved hug right back at you.

If you would have seen me during Team Training with both my dogs you wouldn't have recognized me. If you sneezed; I cried, if you coughed; I cried....I think CCI ran out of Kleenex for me.

I totally understand and empathize with you ♥

Ha ha - you guys crack me up!

Welcome Cindy! Lots of great info here.

Wow, related dogs! They'll want a big family reunion soon, just you see. And on a cruise of course!

Love the photo of Orsen and daughter on the Disney Wonder! Jagger should be on there in February.

Also LOVE the Alaska photos. I had to switch my cruise but I'll get to Alaska some day! :) Gorgeous, gorgeous photos!

Holly

Beautiful photo of your daughter, Den! Also the marvelous Alaska pics.

We're about to sail away from Ketchikan after a day of absolutely perfect sunny weather for our (long) boat ride to the Misty Fjords National Monument. We also had spectacular weather sailing from Seattle Monday. Lucky us!

Holland America's Maasdam placed the relief station (three dogs on board) on the deck below ours, deck 5, all the way aft....a crew space with an overhang but it gets wet. I like forward on the Lower Promenade much better.

The "three-seater" relief station is a bit odd and messy. One narrow strip of sod is in a large 4X4 box, so there's empty wood on either side. At each side of that box is a flat smaller piece of cardboard with a smaller yet square of sod in the center. Very strange. Pee runs out onto the cardboard and then the decking, so it's wet and muddy. Lots of doggie paw prints.

I guess the crew figured all three dogs might arrive at the same time and each want to go simultaneously. (Where's my camera?) Or that we three dog partners would somehow find each other, have a meeting, flip a coin, and decide who gets which hunk of sod. As if dogs operate that way.

There's a nice trash can and a bin filled with airline-type barf bags! I guess for use as poop bags. I find this whole setup hilarious. Or I would except twice today we found poop left in the box by someone. Bob scooped it up, but - come on, guys...!

Raylene's been great about using it. She probably likes sniffing the presence of other dogs, at least for now. I was glad to find a scruffy grass place ashore today.

Stay tuned.

We're about to sail away from Ketchikan after a day of absolutely perfect sunny weather for our (long) boat ride to the Misty Fjords National Monument. We also had spectacular weather sailing from Seattle Monday. Lucky us!

Holland America's Maasdam placed the relief station (three dogs on board) on the deck below ours, deck 5, all the way aft....a crew space with an overhang but it gets wet. I like forward on the Lower Promenade much better.

The "three-seater" relief station is a bit odd and messy. One narrow strip of sod is in a large 4X4 box, so there's empty wood on either side. At each side of that box is a flat smaller piece of cardboard with a smaller yet square of sod in the center. Very strange. Pee runs out onto the cardboard and then the decking, so it's wet and muddy. Lots of doggie paw prints.

I guess the crew figured all three dogs might arrive at the same time and each want to go simultaneously. (Where's my camera?) Or that we three dog partners would somehow find each other, have a meeting, flip a coin, and decide who gets which hunk of sod. As if dogs operate that way.

There's a nice trash can and a bin filled with airline-type barf bags! I guess for use as poop bags. I find this whole setup hilarious. Or I would except twice today we found poop left in the box by someone. Bob scooped it up, but - come on, guys...!

Raylene's been great about using it. She probably likes sniffing the presence of other dogs, at least for now. I was glad to find a scruffy grass place ashore today.

Stay tuned.

That sounds crazy! We've always had the box at the front on the promenade. You would think with 3 dogs onboard they would have made it better. Love to see pic.

Stay tuned.

Chris, talk to the Hotel Manager and have them FILL the box with sod or wood shavings or something that will soak up the urine. Tracking urine, water or anything else onto the decking or carpeting is absolutely ridiculous, unhealthy and unacceptable. Also, ask for a large piece of card stock and a Sharpie Marker and write "PLEASE PICK UP THE SOLID WASTE FROM YOUR DOG AND DISPOSE OF IT INTO THE CONTAINER PROVIDED!"

Geeezzzzz! What does it take for these ships to understand that we want a clean, dry acceptable area for our dogs to relieve themselves.

And, people, PICK UP AFTER YOUR OWN DOG, PLEASE!!!! I do realize that some people can not pick up after their dog......in this case, please ask a crew member to assist you. Be ready with extra tips for this kind of help!!!

Stay tuned.

That does sound hilarious. Wouldn't it be nice if the cruise lines consulted with service dog owners on the proper placement and filler for the relief boxes? I guess that would make too much sense!

Have a great time!

Dianne